DSM - Berninas?

Hi.

Does anyone have a Bernina 580, 640, 730 or other 9mm machine? How do you like them?

I was about to get a used Bernina as a back up for my little Activa 145, and thought maybe I should (finally) go bigger. Mine and the used one I am considering are their "travel" models - very small, but good machines. As I looked in to the features of the one for sale, I noticed all the new ones and was really lured by the bigger and better models. I use mine every day and it is ten years old.

I have way to many Bernina feet to change brands, so I am seeking a Bernina that has the 9 mm stitch, and bigger harp/arm. Mine is only 6"!!! Very tight for applique and even for piecing.

It would be neat to be able to make labels at home, so the embroidery would be great but I really do not NEED it.

Any suggestions? Any one have one? Any experiences to share?

Is getting a used one OK - or are these models kind of temperamental....can you get a lemon?

Thanks!

I have the 635. I really am NOT thrilled with it.

My first Bernina was a 153 and I loved it. Then I traded it in and bought a 440. I also loved that. Last summer I went in for a mini class about embroidering with my Bernina and was talked into buying the 635 so I could also get an embroidery module and do wonderful things, not do-able on the 440. What a mistake!!!

First, I love to piece with Superior's Master Piece, but it breaks every 4-6 inches on the 635. I can't do much with the embroidery module (yes, the "perfect" system that I had to buy). I now have to piece with thicker thread, as this machine won't handle the 50 weights or 60 weights. I did take it into the shop repeatedly and they said I needed to buy "good" thread. They ran Coats & Clark and Gutterman and it worked just fine, but I have many cones of Master Piece that I would prefer to use.

I have several friends that have the really large, really expensive Bernina's and they were told the same thing about the thread, as Master Piece would not work on their machines, either.

In addition, be careful of the model you get that your feet will fit it. I was told by my the LQS that my feet would not fit the newer machines. I, too, have thousands of dollars in Bernina feet sitting here. I probably use about 5 or 6 of them.

I have a Brother 1500-S, and a Babylock Essante and my Bernina 635. I don't need anymore machines, however, if I was to buy another one, it would be a 153 or a 440. Both of those machines met my needs for quilting and general sewing. I'll stick with my Babylock for the embroidery (but I really love to piece on my Bernina).

Lisa, you can get a lemon in buying new as well as used, but buying from a dealer you usually get a year warranty should something go Wrong. I don't have any of the ones mentioned, but buying a Bernina is usually a good thing. If you are looking at a used one and it's from a dealer you can't go wrong with the warranty, if you are buying from a private deal, I would want it checked out by a dealer you trust to get their honest feelings regarding if it's well maintained and are you looking at a large fix it bill soon. They can also tell you how many actual hours the machine has run....tricky they are. We can't see that but the dealer can as soon as the shell is cracked open.

The only one I have is a 153....we had a love love hate relationship....but we have bonded...once I got the single hole plate for quilting we learned to dance very well...

Sorry Lisa, I have a Pfaff and love it....but a friend of mine upgraded to a Bernina 830 and had to also get a new sewing table as it was so large and she is still taking classes on how to use it. She also says she can't just drag it out to a class so that is something to think about although you mentioned that you are looking at a smaller model....I would say go try it out and see if it feels comfortable to use.

I bought a Bernina 430 last may. Due to a death in the family was unable to use it until the last three months. I still have not learned to use the embroidery unit (purpose for purchase) it seems that classes are limited. Disapointed in that, I so far have had no trouble in use of all threads and like to piece on it. I must say I like my Pfaff better for piecing though.

review remains to be seen.

Ginny

Vickie...I have the smaller model and need a larger one. It would not travel to classes or anything like that. It would sit and stay put!

The larger stitch width does come with issues. Bummer about he threads, Sandy. That stinks. You'd expect better from a big company like them.

The more issues I read about, the more I love my 145! Too bad she won't grow up like my kids are doing so fast these days!!

All the comments are really helpful...keep 'em coming please...... :)......thanks!

Lisa: I'm a Bernina girl but yes, you can get a bad one and the newest 830 models are pretty much a waste of money. My theory is that when machines are designed to do too many things, they do nothing well. My friend has a 730 and loves it for the decorative stitches and embroidery but the BSR is problematic. I'm sticking to my old 1530 which does everything a girl could want except embroider...if I wanted to do that, I would by an embroidery machine. I hear you about the Bernina feet... most of the 'new' style feet from your 145 should translate to other Bernina models but I think you would need special feet with sensors for the really wide stitches.

Several sewing machine companies have merged over the past few years and brought some undesirable traits to our usually BEST machines. They are realizing their mistake and are finally coming around to making machines like they used to. This includes Viking, Phaff & Bernina. I am a former dealer from the 90's when they were all very good machines, in the mid 2000s some were not so good. The machines found in some chain stores that carry brand names may not be under the umbrella of a dealer either. Check the fine print to see where you take it for authorized serving. If it is a "mail in" type center; don't buy it. Always use a reputable dealer and ask them about who and where their machines are actually made. Lower cost machines are usually made in Japan (of course to the companies "fabulous" specifications, LOL) and not at the factory you may think. I still have a very good friend in the business who sells every major brand and he guides buyers to the machines that fit their needs; not necessarily the brand they have always used and want. We tend to get locked into I only sew on Bernina or Only Vikings for me. Times have changed and I urge you to take your thread in and your own fabrics and spend some times in the stores and sew on all of them. And.... consider some of the used machines out there. Your dealer should be honest in telling you about how often he repairs that model of machine; he doesn't want it in the shop all the time any more than you do! Do take your own thread and fabric; the dealers always have stiff fabrics that make any stitch look good.

Dw just replaced her Bernina 430 with a new 640 and enjoys it very much. As Bonnie said get the singhe needle hole plate for quilting.

I was the driving force for the upgrade because the embroidery on the 430, EC to PC, was cumbersome and since I did the embroidery I had to change. The embroidery on the 640 does not require a connection to a computer to function and simple labels should be fairly easy to do on the machine. I did purchase Bernina Editor 6 software for future designs.

The harp area is 7.5", if you want larger the 830 Limited would be the machine to go with. Good luck.

GeoTech

Guest Linda S

Hey Lisa - just got your email as well. I have a Bernina 153QE (pre-Alex Anderson model). I absolutely love the machine, but I did regret, a few years after I got it, not buying a machine with an embroidery unit. Last year, I decided I wanted embroidery, but instead of investing a huge amount in a new Bernina, I bought an embroidery-only unit from Sew-Vac Direct. It's a Brother, and it has a USB port, so you don't have to have special software to buy designs from the internet, etc. You can download them, put them on the USB stick, put them in the machine, and voilá! Very easy to use. I did end up buying Embird software (not very expensive) and now I can use fonts, play around with things, etc., and I do okay. Without every having had a class! I also got a 10% discount on my machine by mentioning that I was an MQX student. I think they still have that deal. Berninas are warrantied for about 20 years, aren't they? My sister has one that's about 30 and it's still going like a champ.

I am a former Bernina owner - it has been several years. It really doesn't matter the model. What is important is your dealer. I had continual issues with my Bernina and my dealer would not fix nor back. Said it was all in my head. I ended up talking to an area rep (of another section of the country) and she agreed that I had a big problem. I could have shipped my machine to her but it just wasn't worth it. I changed brands. I now own a wonderful Brother and have a great dealer. The long and short of what I am saying is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD DEALER WHO WILL HELP YOU AS NEEDED AND BACK YOUR MACHINE OF CHOICE!!!!

I'm part of the "old" Bernina camp. I have a 1130, 1530 and a newly acquilred Nova 900--like their Featherweight. I wouldn't trade these machines in for anything. I own a new Brother that does a gazillion embroidery stitches and has an embroidery unit. Does a great job. I love certain embroidery stitches that both the 1130 and 1530 do and both outstitch the Brother. I can get picky just because!! I love the fact that all these machines handle any kind of thread. So I have no complaints. I have a great tech who takes excellent care of my Berninas. And, I have a 6 year old Pfaff actually made by Pfaff instead of Viking. Do you think I like sewing machines? Used to own a lot more but these all are used and beloved by me!!

I am a Bernina fan like so many that have commented here. I have a 180E that has been an absolutely FANTASTIC machine. I have only had in the shop once (I purchased it just before the 200E came out..so it is about 10 yrs old) and that was for a cracked bobbin door. It stays at home or goes with me on retreats. This is my 'go to' machine to do anything that I might want. I have never had any problems with any threads/fabric/project that I have tried with it. I also have done alot of embroidery with the module that came with it and the only problem I have ever had was user error and not the machines fault. I know that ebay has several of these work horse machines listed at any given time for good prices. I would investigate the hours used on the machine and when it was last serviced before bidding on one.... but I would not hesitate in getting one again. I have also looked at the 200E machines as they have a couple of nice features for the embroidery (drag and drop feature) that I was interested in...they do use the same feet as the 180E. I have heard of some having problems with the 'newer' model Bernina's. I think that when they started going more high tech they lost the reliability with some of these machines.

I have also heard that the DSM's are not all that great either.

hi lisa -

i have a 153 and a 440. both are gems that i could never part with. i use the 440 most of the time cause she sits in my table and never sleeps (cause i STILL have not made a cover for her) but everytime i take out my 153 she works like a charm. there is no question that berninas are great machines. i never have any trouble with either, and LOVE them for piecing.

i am satisfied with the embroidery that my 440 does, dh bought me the upgraded software, and it is all i will ever need. it is slow but i don't embroider much so it's fine for me.

i originally bought my 440 because of the bsr option, but never took to freemotion quilting on it. if i were you, i wouldn't waste the money on bsr. especially since you own a longarm. jmho.

stay away from that bigger machine....i think it's an 830.....nuttin but trouble!

make sure you have a good dealer/servicer. i had the best dealer in michigan and when i first moved to ny, i had service that kind of screwed me up temporarily. luckily, i've found someone much better. and perhaps if you buy used, you could have them take a quick look for you before you buy.

good luck deciding!

I have a 640 and a White Pearl for classes. The only reason I got the 640 instead of one of the lower #'s is the wider zigzag. I do a few alterations. I have no intention of getting the embroidery model. Are you going to do other things than piece on it. Then go with Bernina. If all you want you do is piece, try a straight stitch industrial like Juki or Janome. I have a Viking Mega Quilter (industrial) I piece with and I like it fine. It just doesn't do anything else.

I would take the Masterpiece thread in and make them prove the machine you are considering will handle your favorite thread. I love Masterpiece and no one could talk me into a machine that can't handle it. Heavier thread = more bulk in the seam. I'm stuck with a Viking Quilt Designer 2 that I can't seem to sell because I didn't keep after the dealer about features I was unhappy with. Nope, not doing that again. I have a great Bernina dealer and even have them service my Vikings. Cuz these feetbare never crossing the threshold of that Viking dealer again.

Love talking about Bernina's, my favorite DSM, I have two 440's one with the embroidery module, and one without, plus a 1090 that I thought went to heaven, but since she is sitting in the class room and not roaming around she is working great. I just bought a 1008 which is an semi electronic for my DDIL, and she is just in heaven, doing her drapes, and the cover for the boat. OH, I still have my first one, that I bought second hand in North Carolina from a truck driver who made flags, I did have to put a new motor in it when we came back to France, but she has been working for me over 20 years, then, I have a 1006 that I won in a drawing years ago also, so guess you can tell that Bernina is my favorite. I always say it is the rolls royce of sewing machines, If you treat it good, it will treat you good. A good dealer, a check up every 18 months and it will last for years.

For the thread masterpiece, try a bigger or smaller needle, that could be the problem.

I started with a Bernina Aurora 440 (brand new) and traded it in for a used Artista 640 which I had problems with and then traded that it for an Artista 730 used (which I though I was getting with only 30 hours on and actually had over 200 hours on). I was not at all happy with the dealer I bought from - they were very pushy and always wanted to sell you something more. However, I have another smaller Janome and so wish that I wouldn't have spent the small fortune that I did on the Bernina. I think they are highly overated and overpriced. If I had to do it over again I would get a Janome or an Elna or another brand but never another Bernina. Sorry Bernina lovers!

I have a Bernina 200E. It is the same machine as the 730 except it didn't come with a stitch regulator. Anyway, I love it. It is my second Bernina. I have one that I bought back in the 80's and it is still a great machine. It just doesn't do a lot. I have had my 200 for about 7 years. They did replace my mother board right before the 5 year warranty ran out. I have no idea how expensive it will be to replace it myself. The reason I love this machine is because of the feature it has that allows you to adjust the size of your embroidery. The machine will then adjust how many stitches it needs to adjust to the new size. You can decrease or increase the size of embroidery up to 200 %. I love this feature. It also has several built in monograms. I use this machine all the time. It is easy to use after you have had the classes. I did spend quite a lot of time in class but it was well worth it. We have a fabulous dealer here in Kansas. I have no complaints. They have been very helpful. I do love this machine.

My first Benina was a 440 and I love that machine to death. I had such a great experience that I also got the new 820 (basically the 830 without embroidery). I got one of the first 820s off the assembly line and have had nothing but problems with it. The bobbin jams a lot and you have to take the needle assembly apart to fix it. I have problems with think fabrics and don't even ask me to sew a good zig-zag stitch. I can't really see the advantage of the 5mm, 9mm feet.

If anyone is interested in the embroidery unit for the 440, I would like to sell mine. It was only used a couple times because I have large brother machines. Just U2U or email me.

Last year when I was in the market and comparing new bernina machines the dealer suggested that I get the 440 model instead of the 640 model with the 9mm width stitch, because I planned to use the machine mainly for quilting. She said that the machines with the 9mm width stitch are better for garment making which uses a wider seam allowance. For the narrow 1/4" seam for quilting a 5mm machine will be more accurate.

I bought the 440 and I'm very happy with it.

Terry

Carole - The dealer told me the 7 and 8 series are made in Switzerland, all others are from Taiwan. Not the Swiss engineering I was expecting!

Terry - you are right, the 9 mm is less accurate for piecing, so they sell a single hole stitch plate to make the opening smaller. It is for straight stitching only.

Bonnie - You are right, lemons are there no matter what we buy. The dealer is key as many said here!

Lisa C. - Thanks for the idea of bringing my own supplies to test on. I hate the starchy stuff they have.

Connie - sounds like you got one of the 8's that are just trouble. The dealer said there were production issues in the beginning. Not that it helps much. Sorry you have problems with it. Sounds like a great machine on paper!

Would you all recommend a machine for piecing and one for embroidery? Is it too much for one machine to do both tasks well? I would like to make basic labels. Though pretty designs would be nice too!

Can we use So Fine or Highlights from Superior for embroidery? I would hate to have to have a entire separate set of threads for it.

Thanks every one.

Archived