"Photo transfer" blocks

I recieved a quilt that is really cute "cowgirl" art pieces transferred using a photo transfer technique onto "stiff" cotton fabric (one block is newer and more pliable).....I am concerned the needle holes will not "close up" and will remain highly visible -- but the blocks are over 10" so the need some quilting to hold them down. I thought about just outlining the figures -- but then the "background" will puff right along with the figures and look kind of silly.

Has anyone worked with items like this? what do you recommend for needle size, thread weight and general quilting on the tranfers themselves?

Kelly,

I have only done one photo transfer and just carefully outlined the pics, my batting was fairly thin so it did not puff up...but you are right, if you have to pic anything out, it will leave holes that won't close up. My advice is to go with a smaller needle maybe 3.5 and a thin thread that would leave the smallest hole. However, if your batting is puffy, it may camoflage (spelling?) those holes as it puffs up around the stitching. In the end, if this quilt is going to be hung up, you should do something in the pics to keep them from sagging later on.

Originally posted by Primitive1

Kelly,

I have only done one photo transfer and just carefully outlined the pics, my batting was fairly thin so it did not puff up...but you are right, if you have to pic anything out, it will leave holes that won't close up. My advice is to go with a smaller needle maybe 3.5 and a thin thread that would leave the smallest hole. However, if your batting is puffy, it may camoflage (spelling?) those holes as it puffs up around the stitching. In the end, if this quilt is going to be hung up, you should do something in the pics to keep them from sagging later on.

Thank you -- that is what I thought. It is a bed quilt with bamboo batting...so I am going with the smallest needle I have (which is a 3.5).

I tried a new thing recently with photo blocks.

Instead of outlining or filling around the figures/objects--which is a great solution and gives a good result--I quilted two "frames" around each block. Inside the seam a consistent inch, I stitched a rectangular box using Monolon invisible thread in each block to make the first frame. Then I stitched another rectangle inside the block accenting whatever was the focus of the block. I stitched around a face or group of faces, the door of a building, a boat on the lake, etc. Each rectangle size was different, some were horizontal and some were vertical. The frame was adjusted to fit the objects in the block sort of "artistically". It was enough quilting to keep the blocks from puffing and was very interesting to look at, drawing the eye to the important thing in the photo. My customer was very pleased the blocks were nice looking.

I would use a 3.5 needle with clear thread (I use Maderia MonoLon) on the photo block. Don't be concerned about the needle holes; they will look fine, and be part of the design look. SID block, in the background behind main figures, I would quilt a loose, neutral meander. Then I would add a very few stitching lines that help bring out the main subjects, such as around the horse's head and tail.

I agree with everyone. I love putting photos on memory quilts. One question, the photo transfer shouldn't be stiff. Did the piecer take the paper off the back? I had a customer that didn't realize the backing to carry the cloth through the printer had to be removed.

Originally posted by Gator

I agree with everyone. I love putting photos on memory quilts. One question, the photo transfer shouldn't be stiff. Did the piecer take the paper off the back? I had a customer that didn't realize the backing to carry the cloth through the printer had to be removed.

by stiff I mean not as pliable as regular cotton fabric. These are professionally transferred designs ordered from a quilt store. I don't see any sign of paper on the back.

Thank you all --- I am really struggling to overcome my bias of monofilament thread. I used it in the 80's and really did not like it. I know, I know a lot has changed since the 80's (but I do miss my big hair-- just sayin').....anyway

---- This quilt will be "used" to some extent (how much I do not know) but it is intended to be a bed quilt (I sure hope people use quilts like this a "display" on the bed, and replace with a more utilitarian quilt for actual "use").

With that in mind --would you still recommend mono....the images are licensed transfer of Lynn Brown's art work produced by Prairie Girls Quilt shop

http://www.e-prairiegirls.com/LB142-Lynn-Brown-Sixteen-Cowgirls-8-Finished-Size-Blocks_p_1017.html

I do not see any evidence of remaining paper [can see the "printed image" shadowing through to the back and unable to catch anything at the "edge" of the block with my finger nail or a pin (which you can typically do if there is still paper attached)].

I think the fabric just has a stiff hand --- one block is really supple as it was a replacement and Lynn's website say they are "now printing on EQ fabric sheets for a much softer feel"....

Archived