This one looks a little fishy!

That black fish is a traditional Northwest Indian design used on carvings. I think it is Haida (west coast Canadian) and you will see these stylistic animal and mythical creature designs on totem poles. There are lots of these wallhanging patterns using halibut, orca, frogs, ravens, etc here on the west coast and especially in Alaska. Just some useless information I wanted to share.

And my customer loved the quilt! She is sending it up to Canadian friends who host them for salmon fishing every year.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Linda you always give me a chuckle! I think the fish are a little scary looking. The black one cracked me up for whatever reason...

Originally posted by Farmland Quilter

I had the same thought as Heidi, those fish look mean. Maybe that should have been a warning LOL

LOL! I'm thinking it looks like these fish are spawning salmon and I know they don't eat during the spawn so maybe they are a little bit cranky and in a bad mood? ;)

Anyway, when I saw the black fish I knew exactly what it was. I see a lot of Alaskan artwork with these types of design. Haida / Tklinkit

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by hmerrill

Linda you always give me a chuckle! I think the fish are a little scary looking. The black one cracked me up for whatever reason...

Originally posted by Farmland Quilter

I had the same thought as Heidi, those fish look mean. Maybe that should have been a warning LOL

LOL! I'm thinking it looks like these fish are spawning salmon and I know they don't eat during the spawn so maybe they are a little bit cranky and in a bad mood? ;)

Anyway, when I saw the black fish I knew exactly what it was. I see a lot of Alaskan artwork with these types of design. Haida / Tklinkit

Interesting. I'm glad we don't put those on our walls in the Northeast :P. I'm still going to stick with my vision in my head. The black fish looks like it has a tongue and I imagine it seeing this problem quilt coming and it opens it's mouth and shouts "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH" and gets so frightened it is instantly petrified. LOL that is my story and I'm sticking with it.

Archived