This one looks a little fishy!

Have you ever gotten a quilt where you can easily tell where the customer said Oh the heck with it--and just rushed to finish the darn thing and get it out of their hair?

No? Well, let me share this latest one with you.

I knew there would be issues when the top measured at one edge 79", the middle at 76" and the other edge 77"--and this was not the width, but the length. *sigh*

The medallion was beautifully pieced and fusible-appliqued. First medallion border good. Then the pieced blocks--on point. Not one was flat. Of course the borders waved--and batiks are hard to starch and steam. So I figure she gave up about half-way through and started tweaking and fudging until it all went together. I stopped counting seams that were un-sewing themselves as I stitched. I plowed through this one, realizing that I just needed to make it pretty--no way to correct fullness and open seams.... I had some "beautiful" puckers and three pleats on one border and one humongus pleat on the side that extended across the second border and into the piecing.

I was talking to Doodlebug about this a few days ago and mentioned that if I had gotten this one as a newbie I would have run screaming! But --now listen kids--with experience comes serenity. (hahahahahaha!) I crack myself up!!

Actually, with experience comes the knowledge of what you can and cannot do. I could not fix this one, only make it presentable. I know that she knows this quilt is not pieced properly and she sent it on to me anyway. So I figured whatever I did could only make it better--as all quilting does!! Aren't I Zen tonight!

Here's a long shot of the quilt--it looks pretty good, all stitched up and happy looking. It's one of those "looks good from 10 feet away on a galloping horse" quilts.

post--13461908249727_thumb.jpg

Linda, You did a great job on this one, I'll bet she got that pattern in AK as that looks like 3 salmon with either a Haida or Tlingit salmon in the lead. It reminds me of one of my customers that once said to me...."I really had to tug and pull on these pieces while I was sewing them to make them come together"....:o:mad: but like you said, they are happy to see it finished and you did a great job!

I hate when I get a job like that, but when it's done and looks so nice, it does give you that... "wow, maybe I know what I'm doing after all" feeling. It looks so nice and she will love it! Give her a newsletter from your local shop about classes, so she can take some, and very casually mention that she should. I did that to one of my not so accurate quilters and she took my advice and is now one of the nicer jobs i have!

Carol :)

Guest Linda S

Wowzers. You are a miracle worker Linda!! She's even got some flipped piecing in there, no doubt contributing to her flatness woes. Yep, there are times when you realize the quilt will win no awards no matter what you do (due to the piecing), so you just plow ahead and make it as nice as you can, hoping it will adorn someone's bed and keep them warm!

Archived