Linen collection quilt

A colleague of mine asked me to make a wallhanging using a large ambroidery piece that her grandmother made, and incorporating a collection of napkins, etc. Grandma is 99, has Alzheimers' and lives in St. Maarten.

Here is my preliminary layout. I am waiting to hear from the customer whether she wants me to simplify and edit.

Have any of you made anything like this before? I am not sure how to proceed. Debating whether I need to hand sew the small pieces first, or just pin and quilt them down on the longarm. Would appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

post--13461908254941_thumb.jpg

I've not made one of these yet but do have a large bag of old linens and it is on my "to do" list. I would think if some of the linens are very thin and fraigile that they would benefit from a light stabilizer before you applied them. Take a look at Mary Kerr's website as she is a quilt appraiser but also has done some projects using old linens - it may help with ideas.

Sorry Chris,

No pictures. I gave them all away.

But what I did, for example,

Is take a long linen Topper

draw out the Word "Welcome", "Believe", even did one that

had a Family's Name on it.

Lots of background fill and you have a beautiful

Mini Wholecloth!!! '

Also, Love quilting out Linen Tablecloths.

So Pretty.

I'll be sure to post pics next time I do one.

Thanks for the tips. I will go and look at the suggested websites/blogs. Now I am debating cutting and appliqueing the smaller pieces. Some of them are quite large and folded several times. This would probably be tough to quilt through that many layers.

Oh, what to do, what to do???

Archived