What we found- now with picts

Thurs evening we were going to the ECA and saw a blob in our lane. When we got closer and he straddling it, I saw it was a quilt. I asked to go back and get it.. He ignored me until I yelled. LOUD He then parked on the wrong side of the road, facing traffic.. I got out and got it, threw it on the back seat.

When we got to ECA I had big tables to use, and opened it for a full view. love it I did. 20"blocks with lone star blocks set on point, with very large prairie points on the sides and bottom.

It is all hand pieced and quilted.. backing is unbleached muslin, and has some stains and holes. She used the quick turn method, so I don't have binding fabric that even comes close. I'm fairly sure, nearly positive that is is feed sack or 30's to 40's fabrics.

The batting has all migrated.

I'll advertise it on the local radio 'Swap shop".. if it's not claimed it will be mine.

We will take the quilting out, take the backing and batting off and start over.

RitaR

post--13461908261166_thumb.jpg

Thanks Beth, I just had a terrific inspiration, LOL, even for me, and am going to post it to our guild.. Not sending any specifics of size, special features, etc. It is going to be a "you tell me about it".

I want it to be put in the right hands or mine! greedy, huh? ewww. I'm bad. ;o)

Rita...you're not greedy. You did a very nice thing by "making" Himself stop and pick up that quilt and to then try to find its rightfull owner.

I'm wondering..kinda speculating or guessing on how it wound up on the highway. Perhaps it blew off the back of a pick-up truck that was using it to cover a piece of furniture. If it was stained and had holes, maybe it was not recognized for its value and was not much more than a drop cloth to the people. Maybe it will be just too much trouble for someone to come forward and claim it. :) One can hope, right? I am really curious to find out the ending to your story.

Not to burst any bubbles here... But, from the sounds of it..hand pieced, hand quilted, muslin backing...this might be a quilt sold at jcpenneys or similar store. If that is the case, watch the seams on the lonestars...they will only be about 1/8th inch at best. Probably not worth taking out quilting and redoing the quilt.

I hope I am wrong...

Hi Rita!

If the quilt is evenly quilted and flat, you can load it carefully and quilt it without taking out the hand quilting. Attach a temporary muslin extender to the sides and quilt away.

One of the local longarmers offers this service to extend the life of treasured bedspreads and also to add to bed-in-a-bag quilts which need some extra oomph. She even offers a class.

Oops! I just noticed on your original post that the batting is bad. *nevermind*:P

Oh Rita, I'm sorry to tell you that I bought that same quilt back in the 90's for our exchange student's bedroom. I paid $19.00 at Walmart for it... It is made in China. I used to purchase lots of them and "tea" dye them for my booth when I did shows... The ladies always commented on the "antique" quilts I had in my booth... When I was finished with them, I would cut them and make them into Teddy Bears. The one you have - I made into quilted "vests" for my sisters... I used them so I didn't have to "cut up" my own quilts and at $19 for a twin, it was way cheaper than purchasing fabric, cutting, piecing and quilting it myself... There are still bargins out there...

Sorry! However, I think if you "skin" it and re quilt it - it will be FABULOUS!

Bobbi,

Did yours have the parts that jut out from the straight borders? Don't know what to call them.. sort of shaped like the top of a picket fence?

I've seen the same quilt in diff colors, and none have had that detail, especially when full time RVing, we'd see quite a few at the Flea Market booths, in Quartzsite, AZ.? or Calif?

I felt like a fool, buying a mexican throw for my friend. The gal said it was straight from Mexico. Got back to Oregon and gave it to her. A few days later, saw that exact throw in Walmart, for the same throw..

I do understand what you are saying about cheap or lets say less expensive quilts. We had one we used in the RV. We may still have it some where.

Even if this is one of them, It's still pretty and I want to remake it and keep it.

The two seams that came out do have 1/4" seams. If they are all 1/4" I will check

for other seams that look as though they are about to fall apart. If there are too many, then I will quilt on the fabric instead of in the ditch.

Hi Rita! Yes, the border was one of the best parts of that quilt...

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVED each of those quilts as much as my own

Quilts!!! I just didn't want you to think it was someone's treasured, homemade

Quilt... It's still precious - otherwise I wouldnt have loved them in the

First ace...

Enjoy your find!!

Archived