ideas for a busy kaleidescope

I want to do a nice job on this one, it's for my friend who hand sews bindings for me. She put a lot of time into it and is keeping it for herself. She wants puffy batting and doesn't like dense quilting.

There is some extra fullness in the body. So I think I'll need to cc through the center of the stars to keep them from cupping. Having trouble coming up with a good design.

All ideas are welcome and appreciated!

post--1346190837398_thumb.jpg

I see the plain coloured windmill blocks more than the print kaleidoscopes.

So I'd do a Line dance through the Kaleidoscopes and leave the pinweheel/windmill blocks unquilted. "Onion" the outer border.

How wide is the green - if not too wide it could also be an eye resting place or maybe two straight lines up the centre of it.

Originally posted by Busy Quilting

I see the plain coloured windmill blocks more than the print kaleidoscopes.

So I'd do a Line dance through the Kaleidoscopes and leave the pinweheel/windmill blocks unquilted. "Onion" the outer border.

How wide is the green - if not too wide it could also be an eye resting place or maybe two straight lines up the centre of it.

Do you have a photo of Line dance? I"ll look it up, not familiar with it. And what's onion?

The green border is 3" wide.

Originally posted by hmerrill

I'd concentrate on pushing back the background and making that pinwheel design pop. Something swirly. Maybe if you did curved diagnol lines in the background area it would make the pinwheels look they were spinning.

Are you seeing the kaleidoscope stars as background? I took a stab at sketching curved diagonal lines, don't think I did them very well. Does anyone have suggestions for how to design with curved lines? I'm not very good at it. Thanks.

I too see the blue ones more than the printed. But, what if you stippled close together in the grey areas? To push back all around the printed AND the blues? Wonder if that would help?

Those grey 1/2 sq triangles actually make mini pinwheels! That may really help out those big pinwheels!!!!!! Stipple it down GOOD, Not Micro stipple...but what I call mini stipple.

Then treat those big pinwheels (both blue & printed) the same. See the "circle" area in the middle of the pinwheels? Put a design in there, then just SID those pinwheel fins. The grey's pushed back, the centers are quilted down, and ALL of the fins will POP UP!!

Originally posted by Anne from Guam

Tell your friend she did a wonderful job piecing that top!

I was looking at how all the blocks interconnect and that must have been a

bugger to figure out! Not to mention the patience required!

I have that block pattern on my to do list, I'm so glad I saw this top,

it gives me great ideas.

Yes, she said there were many inset seams. She did do a great job.

I've got some good quilting ideas to bounce off her tomorrow, thanks in large part to this forum!

Thanks Heidi. I really like what you came up with. If it was my quilt I'd do some meander.

I talked with her today, and we came up with a plan. It does include possible piano keys in the outer border. And something like what you have in the blue stars, in all of the stars. No meander though.

Maybe I'll get it loaded tomorrow. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Nothing to add to what people have already suggested and sounds like you have a game plan, but can't wait to see how you quilt this one. I've only done all overs on these kinds of quilts because they were so busy, but there definitely is a difference between the darks and lights for this quilt. Happy quilting!

Archived