milli in the basement

I am in the process of purchasing a used millie and was just curious about the temperatures of the location in our basement ,its not damp at all but but sometimes the pellet stove shuts down if we are not there right away to add pellets in the winter time ,its rare but it does get cold ,is it safe for the machine to be left in the cold ?I know the smart thing would be to run electric but it runs our electric bill so high ,thanks for any advice ,I am getting so excited ,Queenie

I have a Gammill and it is in the unheated bonus room above our garage. I open the door and run a space heater in the winter to use it then. I never have any difficulties with it. Same with it being so hot in the summer. No problem. I just wait and quilt on milder days.

Mine is in an out-building with the heat turned down below 50 degrees every night. I immediately turn the heat up when I start my day, oil, start the machine to disperse the oil and warm it up, wipe down the table and rails, get the thread ready if it needs Sewer's Aid, turn on some music and I'm ready to go. By that time, the heat is up to a comfortable level.

I'm excited for you! The journey begins!

Guest Linda S

My machine is in my attic which is unheated. The space is insulated, but it gets cold in the winter and quite hot in the summer. I have a space heater and an in-window air conditioner. I would imagine the heat in the room varies between 40 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I've had no problems with the machine. As others have said, when it's cold, I let the room warm up a bit, clean the machine, oil, and then run it from slow to fast for a bit to let it warm up before I feel good to go. My machine is eight years old and I've never had a lick of trouble from it.

Mine is in a basement that has heat, but in winter it does get cold down here, especially during the night when we turn the heat down to go to bed. I have an indoor thermometer in the room and it sometimes gets down to about 50 degrees and sometimes a bit lower. I don't have any AC here in the summer, just a fan (and sometimes 2 fans), as we do get some rather hot (upper 90's and low 100's) days/weeks here, too. I really hate our hot and humid summers. Anyway, I have a 2005 machine and it hasn't given me any trouble, other than when it begged me to send it to the spa. :P (The "spa" is the factory where we send the machines for their tune-ups.)

Thanks for all the replies ,I kind of figured these machines were designed to handle the temp changes and most people have them in attics or basements due to thier large size but I just wanted to make sure ,I did not want any harm to come to my Miss Milli in her new home plus if it was not going to be used for long periods I wasnt sure if I should bring it upstairs in the harsh winter times (the machine ).I have bought for personal use because I am tired of moving furniture and mopping each time I have to pin a quilt plus they are getting larger and larger and less enjoyment and limitations of what I really want to do .I live in NE ,PA in the middle of nowhere so I wanted a machine that would be dependable .It all started when I went to a local quilt shop and ask for advise on what would be a good domestic sewing machine because my thrill is more in the quilting process then it is the piecing ,to make a long story short she sent me to a home that was selling a juki on a gracie frame ,that was my first time quilting on a frame ever ,needless to say it was way too small of a quilting area for me but I was immediately hooked . Thanks again ,Queenie

don't worry about bringing it in. Mine is in the room above the detached garage and I turn the heat off when I leave each evening. It gets down in the single digits around here and in the 8 yrs I've been LAing I've never had an issue. Just warm them up as noted by others and you are fine.

Heidi I know all about the 10 year building plan,we took out a loan for 10,000 to help us get a jump start on our new bare bone poured concrete basement 20 years ago and all it bought us was a new pellet stove and enough lumber to do all the framing ,no regrets ,its almost finished ,lol, but paid in full .What I love about it is its so easy to knock down walls and modify it now that the kids are moved out ,hubby finally has his pool table and I am finally getting my new toy .

Amie I am not smart enough to send a u2u I guess. I tried twice. lol all is well except for my knee. I have quilted 1 quilt on millie and am not sure i like it yet. We got married Jan 27th my 60th b-day. we have been empting our bldgs and getting rid of STUFF. lol before un see us on hoarders. I am straightening up my shop. I have lost your e-mail Carol:D

sewer's aid helps prevent thread breaking...i think by lubrication. it comes in a little plastic bottle, you can find it at joann's. you run a few lines of it down the side of the thread cone. sometimes, i use silicone spray - which achieves the same thing. when i use the spray, i put the cone in a plastic bag and spray the silicone into the bag.

i think sewers aid works a bit better...i use this for finicky threads like KT.

Originally posted by quilterbee1

Linda, you mentioned Sewer's Aid, what is that?? Amie

The ten year plan! :P:P:P:P That cracks me up! It took us 10 years to finish our basement...LOL. My machine is in the basement and I have never had any issues. It can be quite cold down there in the summer...hubby thought it was a good idea to put in 3 heat/cooling vents so all of the air conditioning in the summer settles down in the basement...hmmmm. I just make sure I oil and warm up the machine before quilting.

Archived