Need your advice please

Has anyone quilted one of Kim McLean's Lollypop Trees tops?

I have just completed one which will be a donation to a local charity. I have ditched the sashing & the applique. Now it is time to quilt the block backgrounds and I haven't got a clue what to do. There is so little space! I don't really like the puzzle shaped stipple and I fear that echoing would be really boring.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to handle the background on a very busy applique block? Will try to post a photo here of someone else's quilt...will post my version here once it's done.

Please offer some suggestions? Thanks, Nancy

post--13461908533201_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Well, what is there to say, really? You've done the SID, there's very little room. Echoing would be insane, as there is just too much to echo. You don't like stippling, so I'd go with some of the other basic stand-bys. McTavishing, swirls, paisley loops, etc. You might want to search for Leah Day's blog on 365 background fills. Other than that, I've got no recommendations.

Sorry, I'm new here. I looked at it twice just because it's such a gorgeous quilt, and I wanted to see what kind of suggestions you got! So, I added to the count of "lookies" but no answers for you, LOL! It's gonna be a long time before I'm able to attempt something like that, let alone give any suggestions. Good luck with it, I'm sure whatever you do will be just right! :)

Wow Nancy, looks like an awesome quilt for a charity donation. Maybe the background doesn't need any more if you have stitched in the ditch everything and quilted something in the sashings. You could maybe go for the reverse approach and quilt some swirls and shapes in the applique pieces themselves. Or, if you're a tiger for punishment you could go for breaking up the background areas, with what I call 'organic' lines, - just lines wandering off where they look good and then fill the broken up sections of background with pebbles in some, straight lines, narrowly spaced vertical in some, horizontal in other areas. When I do the lines to break up the areas I usually do two together, leaving a little 1/8th inch gap which I leave empty. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Go with the lollypop theme and do a continuos line with loops added in, in the background.

Patterns by Kim Mc Lean can be found at Glorious Applique. An Australian who only sells her patterns in the US. But I know I will have some soon as the LQS is now selling her patterns too.

In my opinion, it doesn't need anything more. The applique fills up the blocks so much that I don't think any fill is necessary. Not everything needs to be quilted to death. I bet it looks great just the way it is, with just the SID. It sure looks great in the picture!

Archived