How tight should the backing be?

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for how tight your backing material should be when loaded on the machine?

Just getting started and I seem to be getting puckers on the backing material. I am free floating my batting and quilt top. Thanks for the help!

Janet

I have mine taut too but not so much that you can bounce a coin off it. I've seen some where the person can catch the tips of their fingers from the top and usually.......but not always........has puckers on the back.......then wander why there are puckers.

Janet,

I run mine tight enough to avoid tucks, etc, but loose enough not to distort it while I am quilting. Are you using side clamps? I usually check underneath after I advance the quilt to be sure the backing is laying flat, you can also run your hand underneath the batting before you quilt to be sure you don't feel any bumps or tucks...

I keep mine taut also, never any puckering problems. However, when I roll it I smooth it out on every roll to make sure there is no slack and if so, I run on hand under the fabric at the roller and the other on top to pull the slack off the roller making sure the fabric is always flat with no slack. Make sure there the ends stay even on both ends. .

I also do what Judith does. I make sure it is rolled smoothly and evenly. I always use my side clamps (except for when I forget them...LOL). When I first started I was rolling way to tightly and frequently had problems. It was difficult to loosen up a bit, but it sure made a difference. I float all of my battings and tops. Since you float yours too why don't you just pull the top and bat up after each roll and look at your back to see if it needs straightening?

If you tighten up the rollers and then just release it a tad before you set the brake that should be perfect. I always check after each advance though to make sure everything is still rolling smoothly. I have side leaders I pin on which helps me to keep the back at an even tension. If I have any issues with one side being a little more slack than the rest of the top, I will put a piece of batting under the take up roller to make it even out.

Just a couple of things I do, I have a, plastic not glass, mirror I purchased cheaply at a Wallyworld store, the kind you put on a door to admire what age has done to you, ha Ha, take the frame off and lay it on your frame table so you can see at a glance under there and make sure no gobblins are at work under your backing, good for checking your bobbin thread too, and of course I need not mention making sure that ol backing is absolutely squared up and even before I start.

I guage my taughtness by rolling the backing until the top back take up roller just starts to draw forward and the back off just a bit.---Hope this helps----grasshopper

I've stopped basting the sides of my quilt except in rare occasions. I baste across the top to secure the top and batting to the backing. I straighten everything out and off I go. Come to think of it...that's about the time I stopped getting puckers. I don't know if it's related.

I still baste as all my customers just love it and I use the L.A. Clips from our website to keep the ends as close to square on the quilt top roller. Works great! I guess they like to zig zag along my basting and then attach their binding all on a nice straight line I've given them to follow, Oops Jane said not all zig zag stitch, some just plain stitch depending on the top's materials and the detail of the patterns and longarming I've done.

I think the main thing is to be square and use even taughtness, ( is that a word-Ha Ha).

grasshopper

Archived