Help, making a plexiglass table

I have searched high and low, trying to find a picture of one of those plexiglass tables that sits on your rollers, and you place a stencil or picture of a quilt design on it to quilt in blocks etc. I am stumped as to where I saw one on the internet. Pictures would be terrific, so I could make a rough design up for myself and take to local glass shop with measurements in order for them to make one for me.

I hope someone is able to help me.

Thanks in advance

Debbie

Debbie How large would be the largest block that you want to trace from. 12" most likely. My plexiglass doubles as my pattern trialing board ( using washable whiteboard markers) so is 18" x 28" and it is only the 1/8" thick ( it does flex in the middle across the rollers), but I don't use it for that very often.

Thank you Barb, that does sound much easier. The lady at the glass shop wanted me to make up a pattern of sorts, with my dimensions, in order for them to make one for me, with the plexi curving over the roller bars. Not sure on how wide I would need.

Debbie

Curtain rods - measure from outside of roller for top and bar in front of take up roller. Glue on felt to bottom curved edge down over edge of rollers. Go to lowes home depot or ace and get a thin piece of plexiglass and a thicker piece. Use double sided sticky tape and stick rods to bottom of plexiglass. Then put over rollers put pattern on it then put thin piece over it. That way if you turn on s ceiling fan or open a door or window you paper will stay there. Under $30 project.

Shirley

I made my own Plexiglas table with curtain rods. I put Velcro on the top of the curtain rods (sticky back on it) and the other half of the Velcro on the back on the two edges of the Plexiglas and it mabkes a very stable table to hold my stencils and tools. I also put a short piece of Velcro on the bottom of the curtain rods where they sit on my bars. Works great!

Thank you all for your replies and ideas. Wishing I hadn't pitched all my old curtain rods when we moved :D. Saved but one old set for keeping my side clamps out of the way of the machine head. Hopefully, I will get one constructed today.

If my hubby's own 'to do' list would get finished ;), I could get him to start on my 'honey do list', but am afraid I would be waiting a long time :P

Debbie

Hope I'm not repeating someone. But ...FYI, you can check one out at deloasquiltshop.com. They sell one, but I also made my own with the curtain rods.

Works like a charm.

Also, I think it was Ardelle who made a storage basket that way, sits right on the rollers and her tools are handy.

Everone has such good ideas!

Archived