Legacy wool

Guest Linda S

I am a wool advocate -- I love it, but I'm really surprised that folks love QD wool so much. It does indeed have a nice feel and a nice loft, but it is not all that stable when rolling your quilt and smoothing it out as you go. I have to admit that I prefer Hobbs Tuscany Wool, which does have an internal stabilizer and is much more long-arm friendly. You can give it a tug and reach under the bar to smooth it without it bunching up.

I use all of the above! Love the QD wool, Hobbs Tuscany, Hobbs washable and Legacy. The Legacy is thinner and more fragile, but I haven't had any problems quillting it. I like the Legacy for show quilts as it is thinner and better over another batting, giving loft for quilting definition, but not so much bulk. I also like Legacy for quilts in warmer areas as it is lightweight and breaths.

Guest Linda S

I forgot to say that I would put wool batting in every quilt if I had my way. The loft gives really nice definition to your stitches, no matter what kind of wool you are using, and the natural fiber really seems to make the quilt "all season." I have a wool quilt on my bed, and find it is comfortable in the summer and the winter (not to mention spring and fall!). I've not yet tried Legacy Wool, but I know I buy their 80/20 with scrim, because without it, it is too stretchy for the long arm. I get my Wool batting at Checker Distributors or EE Schenck. There is also a company (I think in Wisconsin?) that sells long arm supplies and batting at a good price to folks who don't have a license to buy wholesale. I think it's Sue Schmieden's shop. Let me go look . . . yes -- Sue's site is is the Quilting Connection, LLC, actual web address is http://stores.longarmconnection.com/StoreFront.bok Sue is also affiliated with APQS, so it's all in the family!

I love wool and prefer using it on my personal quilts. Like Linda S., I prefer the "stableness" of Tuscany Wool.

I've been using QD wool for show quilts, layer it on top of stable cotton batting for trapunto effects only because I could "tease" or thin it to reduce the bulk.

Corey

Thank you all so much for the information. I think I will need to make up samples of the different types of wool to really decide my favorite.

How washable is the wool? I've always used Hobbs 80/20 and I love the old crinkly look it gets after washing but it certainly doesn't provide a lot of warmth. My quilts get used and I definitely need to be able to wash them.

Look at the package and see if it's possible.

The problem with pre-washing wool to shrink it is that, as a sheet of wool fibers, it can't take agitation in the washer and the heat and tumbling in the dryer will cause it to felt. Lots of care instructions for wool batting in quilts call for gentle washing and air drying. Or sometimes air-tumbling in the dryer with no heat.

Linda S--how do you wash your wool-batting quilts?

Originally posted by belquilt

Very interesting topic. I have not tried wool yet, so I think I will give the Hobbs a try. Where is the best place to order or purchase?

Lynn Heilman is a GREAT source for Hobbs. I love all of the Tuscany battings. Their polyester quilts great too.

I did not find QD wool to be stretchy, prone to bunching up, or any other problem. It has a bonding agent on one side and holds up to being tugged a bit to straighten it, although I didn't find I needed to do a lot of tugging anyhow. It is, I think, a bit more lofty than the others. You can achieve a "trapunto-ish" look with it, because the fibers are more stiff. Cold washing and air drying is recommended. That is the only way I launder my own quilts anyhow. For a customer, I would be sure to discuss use and care with them before choosing wool. Each quilter has a preference. The only way to know yours is to try each product. I have experienced fewer problems with QD than any of the other battings, so it is always my first choice.

As far as using wool in customer quilts and concerns about how they will wash/dry them......I use packaged batting from QD and always give my customers the paper that comes in the package. In fact, I staple it to the back of their invoice. I mention that they might want it for reference and laundering instructions. I do this with all the batting, not just the wool.

Archived