dye over ugly fabric?

There are so many ways you can have fun with this fabric! Is it a solid?

Yes, you can over-dye it--try a small test sample first.

Or--- Spritz it (outside) delicately with a 50/50 solution of bleach. (Maybe try on a small piece first to practice.) The color will remove immediately. Rinse. Then over dye with maybe a teal blue?

Use gel automatic dishwashing detergent, which has bleach as a main ingredient--apply sparingly with a brush in a swirl design, rinse, over-dye.

Make swirls and figures like hearts and flowers with a bleach pen--or just dots. Rinse and over-dye.

Tie the fabric up shibori -tyle on a piece of PVC pipe and over-dye to get a neat effect.

Google fabric dying to get lots of techniques to enhance not-so-pretty fabric.

Ritz also makes a color-remover solution if you want to start with a neutral.

I don't know that I would use RIT dye on something that I was going to use in a "good" project. It tends to fade out with washing and exposure to light. Check out Procion dye on Dharma Trading website. Its not that expensive, and not that complicated to use. You need, I think, washing soda also sold there to prepare the fabric. Linda's suggestions are great. Watch out using bleach, though. It can be rough on fabric. It can actually eat a hole through the fibers and at best will weaken them so that the fabric will eventually..with enough use and washing..disintegrate. Dharma Trading also sells discharge products (color removers), and a product that stops the bleaching action and neutralizes the bleach..don't remember the name of it maybe something like "Bleach Stop."

Unfortunate lime...I love it.

You might have more luck over dyeing it with a black MX Procion to get the hunter green you're hoping for. I have a tutorial on my blog on Low Immersion Dyeing using MX dyes if you want to read how it is done. I only have experience with MX dyes so not sure what RIT Dye would do.

I agree with Lynn and Kathy...use Procion dye. Your results will be far better and definitely more permanent than RIT. I have done this very thing many times and always have fad good results. Love, love, love Dharma Trading! I think they have starter sets with everything you need. Watch out, this can be addictive! ;)

Archived