NQR--Suspiciously like candy corn???

Those jelly mushrooms are sort of translucent and wet looking. I've seen lots of those, and the picture doesn't really look that way. Take the picture to your local Extension agency, or try to find a mushroom hunter's club and ask them. I googled Oregon Mushrooms and found something similar looking, but it was more brown with the white tips. It didn't give a name, however. Gosh, doesn't nature produce the most interesting things??

I googled fungus that looks like candy corn, found some pictures and one said it was called chicken of the woods. Go figure! anyway it was interesting to google it.

I guess it is worth $24.00 a pound here:

http://www.localharvest.org/chicken-of-the-woods-or-sulfur-shelf-mushroom-C11529

Says it tastes like chicken and can be used instead of chicken in many recipes.

We have to keep looking. It isn't really gelatinous like jelly or translucent. And it isn't a "shelf" mushroom. I would guess it's more of a fungus because it's growing from the ground. Last night I went out to look at it in the dark and there was a slug eating on it. The picture I took this morning is distorted because my camera didn't like the sun shining from the side. more later...

I have seen hen of the woods mushrooms, which are about the same as chicken of the woods, only a different color. They are quite different than this in appearance. They have more of a petal effect, like ruffled chicken feathers. Mushrooms are fungi, but mabe searching fungus would help.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/wildlife/magazine/Archive/06summer/sulphurshelf.pdf

Check out these pictures. It could be the first one, Sulphur Shelf...a close relative to chicken of the woods. Although yours doesn't have "shelves"...it does resemble the first picture a good bit. Another picture I found of a similar mushroom (different color) was also called a shelf mushroom although it looked like a cluster of "big toes" jutting out in all directions, no shelves so to speak. I love these mysteries!

It does look like a chicken of the woods, but you usually see them growing on trees, so I'd have an expert look at it before you eat it. If it is a chicken of the woods, it is really yummy! I've eaten them before.

Archived