McTavishing for Beginners - I DID IT :)

gable428

I got the book Mastering the Art of McTavishing and practiced on paper for a few days and could not get it. I then said, "Heck with it. I'm gonna try the real thing." And guess what? I had no problem once I did the technique on a practice piece of muslin. Of course I got stuck a few times and had to move my needle but all in all, it wasn't too bad. I'm really excited about this. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Gable

Guest Linda S

Good for you! You never know whether you can do it or not till you give it a try! I was certain I would never be able to quilt very well. I'm not the best there is, but I'm managing to make my way in this quilting world. There's nothing I'd rather be doing!!

Linda

Good for you girl::cool:

I really must screw up my nerve to try a little McGerry, I do need to get a look of Karen's book or DvD, to see how to get started. Maybe this spring, I'll get a copy & give it a wirl.

Hay Gable, how about a picture to see what you did?

The Miracle chalk chubby crayon or Quilt Pounce works great with a black light. It is so fun to put in the black light, turn off the overhead lights and quilt "in the dark" with the Miracle chalk. DH comes in and says "honey, you ok?"

You just have to remove it with steam. I just run the steam iron over top of the quilt while it is still on the rollers. Don't touch the iron to it or you'll have the marks forever!:(

I've used the old APQS crayons that they no longer sale. Didn't like them.

I have some green pencils that I got from the Stencil Company...the lead breaks off more than it works...madden.

I have a special black light pounce chalk that works ok, if you can keep it from bouncing all over the place. (I used it last before I got my extender base...if I use it again with it I'll report.

The Miracle Chalk and Crayon...I haven't used will do that soon.

My only dislike for the black light powder that I did use was that it bounced all over the quilt so I had dots of black light ALL OVER the quilt.....what a mess. I know the customer couldn't see it...and I prayed that she didn't have a black light in her room...it would have been really scary...it wouldn't brush off or shake out. It was on my hand, cloths and face...Gene came in and said I looked really scary when I was bend over the machine.:P

Archived