finally have electric back

what a mess here in midwest missouri. was out of electric since early am on saturday. posting one of the pixs of the ice we have gotten. the trees are breaking from the weight of the ice on them, then break the electric lines. we were very fortunate enough to have a contractor neighbor offer to take my dh to st. louis (closest place) to buy us a generator. so by sunday we were able to plug in our frig, freezer, light, fan for fireplace insert and the tv...wow.. was like a cave person getting something they've never had before..hehe

but electric finally came back on this am at 2. just hope it stays on now. hope everyone else out there is weathering the storm. not looking forward to the next one moving in on us this coming weekend.

I saw some news coverage of the storm(s) and was amazed by the loss of trees in the video. There were 8-10 trees in the shot and all of them were broken/split or bent over to the ground. With more precip coming more trees will go. You'll feel this for years. We went through ice and wind like this in 1991 and so many trees were lost you could just feel the change in the area (a touch of barreness). Also great loss of shrubs and perennials and wildlife. This sounds like I don't worry about the people living through this, I truly do but want to point out the lasting effects that a storm like this creates. We also developed a little more neighborhood in our rural area. We all live a mile or two away from each other, but during that time we had a good size generator and many of those around came to shower, get hot food and really get to know those we usually just wave to.

Quilt Fairy,

Glad to hear you have your power back. My parents live in Springfield and my son in Ash Grove and they have all been without power since Friday. Ash Grove will begin to try to restore power on Friday. Springfield, who knows!! My parents are 76 and 79 years old and I worry about them. They would never go to a shelter. Fortunatly I have a brother there and he and his wife are staying with my parents - they don't have power at their house either. What a mess. We didn't get hit like you all did. Just enough to make going tough.

What bad weather. At least some good can come from it when neighbors come together to help each other.

Even here in southern California we have had some cold stuff for the past week. 2 weeks ago we were wearing shorts and then Saturday it got down to 17 degrees. YIKES.

I lost some shrubs and trees. Take a look at my blog to see the before and after of my 10 foot Trumpet. It looks so sad. This isn't the ground freezing cold that other folks get so I'm hoping that my plants will come back. We are putting out extra food for the birds. I think they were as surprised as we were by the cold weather. I can't wait for spring.:)

I don't think folks here in Southern California know how to deal with this cold weather. I come from upstate New York and this brings back memories. Now if we only had some snow....... oh, I digress. Wait! That's why I left New York, wasn't it? Black ice, freezing rain, snow on snow on snow, blackouts, hauling wood for the fireplace, cleaning out the furnace and the fireplace. Okay, I feel MUCH better now.

I hope this post finds you all toasty and safe. For me? I'm doing hand-work. Perfect weather for finishing bindings.

Donna,

I'm giggling at you right now....I woke up to -6 this morning...Oh, I know its not WHAT it could be for this time of year and the weather had been really wierd herr. Everything below Albany has had NO SNOW yet this year (the Catskills a little)...we had a tiny dusting, but nothing this open for years from what I've been told...Last year at this time I was out blowing snow with the snow blower...this year up until today running around in t-shirts and light jackets.

Brrrr its cold today....but nothing like it was earlier in the week when we got what was left of the ice storms that hit qfairy...I'll take the cold anyday over an ice storm, that wasn't fun at all.

Now I'm wondering why I let Gene talk me into leaving Nevada.... Raised in Montana, left because of nasty winters for Nevada....GOT spoiled and got talked into New York...Now what is wrong with this picture. Aren't we suppose to go south when we get older?

The ice storms are beautiful to look at, however, I just spoke to my parents and it could be up to 2 weeks before they get power. I tried to talk them into coming here to visit for a while but they won't do it, keep saying they are doing fine. Mom said they once did homework by the kerosene lamp, but for the life of her she doesn't know how, she can barely see by it now. I told her her eye balls were much newer then.

we went up to washington missouri for a dr appt yesterday only to come home to no electric again. on again off again. but we must have seen over a 100 trucks with booms on them going towards springfield to help them get electric back up and running. the farther north east we went the less ice we seen. warming today and hope this is the last time the electric goes down. as for the generator we got we lucked out with neighbor knowing what size for us to get. is briggs and stratton motor with 8500 watts and it runs a frig(side by side) small upright freezer, a couple of lights, tv with satt dish, fan for our fireplace just fine. it has 4 plug ins which we use heavy duty cords. we are seriously thinking of getting a bigger one to run the whole house. they run on diesel fuel instead of gas. we use 10 gals of gas for a 24 hour period with the one we have. diesel ones use less. is to warm up some today so looking forward to that. will post some awesome pixs i took yesterday of the neighbors not so fortunate with their trees.

I talked with my mom last night. She said that it could be up to 2 weeks before they have their power restored. A lady from their church brought them a propane heater so that will help. I tried to get them to let me come and get them and bring them back to Kansas City, but she insists they are fine. Mom said the whole town looks like a war zone. There are broken trees everywhere. You cannot use credit cards or debit cards in most businesses. The mall has been closed all week. The Wal-Mart my mom works for is staying open with a huge generator, but is only accepting cash and is not taking returned items. Like I said, it is pretty to look at in pictures, but it sure is a mess.

Archived