Purple air erasable markers

I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice on the Marvy markers that are air erasable. I used them on a quilt and the eraser works great for awhile but now doesn't do anything. Is there something else I can use to erase this now instead of waiting for it to disappear? I have a customer coming to pick it up and no place around us carries the markers I ordered them online. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Nancy,

I usually give it a quick spritz with plain cold water (depending on fabric colours), it will go darker momentarily then it disappears more quickly, the more moisture in the air the quicker it disappears.......I tend to place a bowl of water near my radiator in my studio, it helps with moisture in the air too....

I will use water to removed the marks but I'll tell you I never just leave it at that. I always wash my quilts after I've used them and if I use them on a customer quilt I tell them and give them instructions on wasing. I believe there is a chemical in them and that chemical can cause damage if the right exposure happens, like Ardelle mentioned above. I don't want to risk that so I treat them no different then the blue washout markers.

I personally haven't had any issues - at least so far. I do remove with a good spritz of water if the marks don't go away quickly & I also tend to mark very lightly as I go along. I never leave the marks over night. If I have a large quilt to mark, I mark with the blue markers prior to loading and then go through the proper soak/wash procedure. I personally think that any marking can cause issues so I have started using blue painters tape as much as possible ............ it works for straight line work - I make the ticks on tape rather than on the quilt. I also think that the eraser does have a chemical in it so have never used it - always use a bit of water. I forget who mentioned it, but I remember someone indicating that using distilled water was best. I also remember (Linda R??) mentioning mixing a bit of baking soda in our spritzing water.

Thanks so much. It is a customer quilt and first time I used them figures. I pretested and the marks came out when the eraser worked. Well I'm going down right now and saying a prayer thanks ladies for your help. I have always used chalk but this was a stencil with feathers that I had to get precise and I used the pen oh well I will see in a minute.

I also remember (Linda R??) mentioning mixing a bit of baking soda in our spritzing water.

Meg, I didn't know this tip until you mentioned it here, but I just saw a Craftsy class with Kimmy Brunner and it is either mentioned or in the classroom notes! I'm going to try it.

Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in a quart of water to help cut the acidity of the marker ink. The soda is only "active" for about 30 minutes so mix small batches as you go. This was shared in a class years ago--I think Irena Bluhm--and it pertained to blue marker lines but works well with purple.

I use Dritz/Collins purple markers and always remove the marks with water as I go. And you've heard a million times about the water-dispensing pen I use--precise, fabric dries faster in case you need to re-mark an area, and easy. I've never had an issue with marks re-appearing but I'm knocking on wood as I type this.

Ardelle--perhaps the marks reappeared because it was hung in bright light in the shop window. Light as well as heat will set any marks left on the fabric--which is why a full immersion is recommended for blue marker. Plus the Marvy "eraser" must not be just water, so you're adding another chemical to the top of the fabric.

I can't say for sure, but if the purple pen lines disappear by themselves, would they then reappear if the quilt is ironed--like when the binding is pressed? Guess I'll do an experiment.... :ph34r:

Linda - I have ironed - not ironed - actually held a bit of steam over some quilts that I used the Marvy Markers on with no bad results - I am sure I did not use the Marvy eraser end - but instead just water. The eraser ends go dry so quickly - just not worth the bother - water is so much easier and quicker. Just today, I had to mark some cross-hatching and by the time I was done, the purple lines were very light so I just rubbed a damp washcloth over the fabric - all purple lines gone. I too thought that the sun might have affected whatever chemical was in the Marvy eraser .............. I'll have to ck that out.

I will have to remember the ratio of baking soda to water ......... thanks for posting again. If we use this mixture to remove the blue marks does it mean that we don't have to soak our quilts that have been marked with the blue markers??? For some quilts, that would be wonderful!!!!

I've used an iron after removing the marvy marker, and also know, I ALWAYS wash/or tell who's ever quilt it is, that i've used these type of markers on the quilt and they MUST wash their quilt!!!

I also think that either the suns heat/rays/UV...etc combination is what did it to that quilt Linda R! UV is a funny thing! Hence why there is Indoor paint and Outdoor paint! Additive is needed in the Outdoor paint to keep it's color from fading fast and withstanding temp changes.

UV on something that has a "magic chemical" i call it, could do weird things..and since you mentioned it turned "brown"...my guess is

it's the UV..not heat like an iron!

I recently read on another forum to use vinegar and water to remove marks. Linda mentions baking soda and water. Now, I am NO chemist, but isn't vinegar much more acidic and would actually increase the setting of color? I guess I just don't get it, so I don't use them - but I need to use them - but I fear permanency if I do. Yikes!

Archived