How did you pick your username?

hi all!! This is my very first post! I just signed up tonight! I picked my name cause I just LOVE to sew!! I am interested in checking out getting a long arm machine to start a quilting business, but I don't even know the questions to ask or where to start! Any help out there? I have read over several of the different post and I must say, I am even lost on some of the phrases of the long arm quilting "lingo".... I am a true uneducated novice! linda

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All ~

I am new to the boards as well. I'm not interested in going into business. I recently ordered George and I am now waiting for his birth and can't wait until he comes to live with me!

My employer misspelled my last name (Magestro) about 10 years ago and came up with Magelio. My name remained misspelled on the schedule for 2 years! I didn't mind though........as long my name on my paycheck was spelled correctly. My co-workers still call me Magelio.

Hi everyone. I was driving down the freeway in Southern Cal. one day and saw a licence plate on a car that had a heart ,then the letters " toqlt". I thought that was so clever. Then I came up with "love2qlt4u" . At the time I was a hand quilter, and the name has been used since. Barbara

No fancy or cleaver story to tell about my name. I am Rebecca and my bestest friend always calls me Bekah so because I am not all refind like a Rebecca, Bekah it is.

it was so interesting reading all your stories.

welcome all you newbies. this is such a wonderful place to sit and visit and even just lurk and APQS machines are the best

Ok, Jeanne, MaryBeth, Stephanie, Ferret, EveryBody, now I just have to post again. I knew all calicos are female. Maybe people who've had them know that and others don't because why would they? I figured your cat was calico because I've always thought they are called that BECAUSE they look like a calico patchwork quilt, ya know? So I just figured Patches would have to be a calico....

Stephanie, you remind me of my extremely smart, extremely talented, extremely sweet (though not to me!) daughter soon to be 16. For a while she was completely taken with reading every word she saw backward to see what came out of it, and she still uses the backward spelling for her creative writing. Put Flamingos in it and quilt a Flamingo banner to hang out front on dry days (or in the window). "Do what youi love, the money will follow", as a friend once read in a book. Thank God for people like you!! Oh, and I had a grey and white named Peg-leg once....

Ferret, I LOVE that it's your only name. Good for you. But why? (Just curious.)

Jeanne, thank you for your double welcome. I feel very much at home here. :) I lived in So. Cal., so I guess it couldn't have been you!

Oops, and Tina and Tina and Janet and and and all you folks on this THIRD page! Can't get all the names now, ran out o' time for chatting. DS begging to "play computer" since it's Sat. morning. Happy cats! and LOVE the garden slug!! Keep on quilting!

Patty

Years ago my siblings and I each had names for each other that were not exactly endearing (made up of course to get the goat of the other person). One day my dad called me nineva. How he came up with that from Nancy I don't know, but he has called me that for over 40 years. I use it all the time now. Not very interesting, but my dad is the only one that calls me that so it means something to me. None of my siblings have special names so I feel lucky.

Nineva:

I know what you mean. My nickname when I was growing up was Weedge with a long E sound. I don't even know how to spell it. My dad gave it to me and no one knows why. One of my brothers still calls me that and makes others look at me kinda strange. At least I hope that's the reason for the look.

I'm really enjoying hearing all of the names and what's behind them. Even the ones that make sense by going with their given names I'm enjoying. Some say they are boring, nothing special, etc., but I don't think so.

Patches:

Welcome again!!!! That's a triple!!!

Got ya all beat....I have a sister who calls me P.D. She says that it means something but she can't remember what it was...she started calling me this when I was 'bout 1 years old and it stuck....

Well, My thoughts are that P. D. stands for Poopy Diaper. I think she should just either admit it or come up with something else....other than I can't remember what it was.

When I was little, all my family called me PattyJo and it just seemed a good username here as there are so many Pat's. I could always tell when someone was upset with me because then it became Patricia Jo!! Now, everyone calls me Pat but if I run into an old friend from school, it's still Patty Jo. But I answer to either name. Welcome to all the Newbies out there also. I still consider myself a newbie as well. I've had my Millie since last June and still learn new things with each quilt that I do.

Speaking of nicknames my dad use to call me Lil' bumps and hairy legs when, I am so glad he doesn't call me those anymore. Buckwheat was a favorite.

One that I like that I can't get anyone to call me is just plain "T".

I try to get my neices and nephews to call me Auntie (for Aunt T) but that doesn't work either.

tina

Tina:

T would be a good nickname, much better than Poopers, Poopy Diapers or hairy legs. That would be a bit embarrassing! Just imagine if it was your nickname. Everyone would be glancing at your legs without meaning to, to see if it were true!!!

You all have really made me appreciate the usernames you DID pick, and even more appreciated are the ones left as just a special memory.

Originally posted by shadows4

This may sound silly, but for quite some time I've been intrigued by the usernames used on these forums. Some make sense and others are so unique that I'm curious how you all came to choose yours. I know this has nothing to do with quilting, but I've been wondering for a while.

Mine is the name of our son's dog and the number in our family. Kinda tame, I know, but I'd like to know how some of these names came about. I hope there's no older thread on this.

I chose it for another site that had nothing to do with quilting and that I thought would give me annonymity. sp? Anyway, now I use it for many sites, but it's my name prefaced by quilter. Not too original for my quilting correspondence, but here we are!

Archived