Backwards Machine

I must be getting old! (Please . . no comments!)

I've always had my machine set up so that when I'm doing pantos, my back is facing the wall. When I'm doing custom, I'm facing the wall.

When we set the machine up at the new location, I decided I wanted it turned so that when I'm doing custom, my back is facing the wall and I'm looking out over more of the room. Doing pantos, I'm now facing the wall.

But, I stay so confused! I have to stop and think how to thread the machine and which buttons to push. I know I'll get used to it but I'm really surprised how much "different" it seems. I had to stop and think how to even load the quilt.

Has anyone every turned their machine around and felt so totally lost? Maybe I shouldn't share this with the world!:(

If it was me I'd blame on all the ice.:D Or maybe the glare from the ice.

I get turned around like that too. When I used to try those old video games in the days of "Pong" (well not that old) I'd try to figure out directions on the one called Tank, and as soon as I turned it any other way but forward, I was totally lost and started crashing into things. Explains why I was never any good at it.

Oh Judy that is too funny! I just experienced the same. We installed new flooring in my studio in December. I hadn't touched the machine the whole month, other than to disassemble her. When we put everything back in I decided to move things around a bit.

When I went to load that first quilt, I had to really think about it. I was sure I wasn't doing it right. :P

Everything still feels kind of awkward with rearranging the room. Hope the awkwardness goes away soon.

Patty

Yes, that's what I would want, a big mirror with me in it!! I was thinking of doing that same thing when I move my machine, now maybe I should re-think this thing. When I went to some classes in Des Moines, me and the other person at my table were so confused when we stepped up to the machine that neither one of us could remember how to use the buttons. Wow, it's good to know that happens to you too Judy.

Not my LA but I am driving my husbands truck this winter because it has better traction tires and my van will slide down and not want to go back up our ice covered driveway.

Yesterday when I took the neigboors child home from the busstop she said the back door was locked...................took a awhile to figure out which button to push. Now I have driven this truck alot in the past and I know where that button is.........................I just had a brain freeze.................then again maybe it is my advanced age.............I did just have another birthday.

I think once you work with your set up for a week or so you will be just fine.

My DH would rather me have a muzzle than the blinders! Though I can picture that, kinda like Stevie Wonder looks when he's recording his music, but I need to work on the head movement. Let's see: should we sway with the music or head bang? I'm afraid with either I'd get dizzy and drop.

Mary Beth & Tina:

So which way do you face when you quilt? or do you have anything to look at in your studio so that you'd want to face it? For me, I have my back to the wall side when I'm doing freehand. Then I get to face the rest of the room. Then I can see everything I need to work on or clean up, so concentration isn't always easy after that.

Right now, both sides are to a wall. I have the upstairs of my house and it is a long area where the machine is so I don't have anything to look at. We are getting ready to move to the basement and then I am thinking of having the front side to the wall and the panto on the open side so I can see the room and won't feel closed in. That is my thought...DH always changes my mind.

Hi Myrna,

I am loving the new floors! Thanks for asking. The room is warmer, looks better and is just more comfortable. It even seems that the machine has less vibration with the cork floor. Not that there was alot of vibration, it just feels smoother now.

Here is a sneak peak. I moved the machine to the long wall instead of the way it was before. You can see a bit of the floor in this photo.

Patty

I have windows on 2 sides and the machine sits diagonally in the room with the back closest to the big window.

One thing that I have noticed is that when doing a panto, the morning sun coming in the window sometimes makes it hard to see the laser light. I usually have to lower the shade, which of course, blocks out that lovely light. Maybe some sheers would diffuse the light enough to see the laser and still get that natural light from the window.

From the front side though, the more light the better for me.

Archived