Skill difference btwn L.A. & reg. mach?

Hi, I'm a newbie who is planning to purchase a L.A. in a few months if my experiments with my Bernina turn out good. I'd like to hear from some who've switched from a regular machine to a Long Arm, who used to machine quilt with their regular machine. Does it make a lot of difference if you were experienced already at machine quilting with the little machine to whether you did well with the big machine? Of course, I'm sure everybody here LOVES their L.A., which is why you're all here, right? But I just wondered if I should take a lot of time building skills on my Bernina before venturing to the way expensive Long Arm.....?

Patty :)

I was told the skills don't transfer at all, by many people. I disagree. If you have used a regular machine on a frame (so you are moving the machine not the quilt) then yes you are learning something useful. If you do this for a while I think you will run into some limitations of the regular machine, mainly the small throat stopping you. This will just make you want the longarm more.

If you are quilting with the machine static and moving the quilt I think you will get less benefit. It is all good for learning designs but moving the machine is very different fo moving the quilt.

I suspect you will get different opinions from other people, I do tend to be different, but that is my perspective.

Ferret

I started quilting on my Bernina 440. I didn't use a frame, just moved the quilt by hand. I think some of the skills transfer, such as movement in pace with the machine. My Bernina has the stitch regulator but you still need to keep in time with the machine some. Other than that I wouldn't say that any other skill transfered. I will practice drawing a design on paper and have realized that quilting that design is easier and looks better than my drawing.

Good luck.

I was doing freemotion quilting on my Phaff for 7 years before I got my LA. I too was told I would have to learn all over again...........................hogwash! I felt that it was just a simple matter of moving the machine and not the quilt.................yes it is different but I did not have much trouble transfering my designs from one method to the other.

I too suggest paper and pencil and draw your designs to work them out. That has always helped me with both quitling on my Phaff and my LA.

I used to, and sometimes still do, quilt free-motion on my Bernina (no stitch regulator). I think my skills on the domestic machine were helpful when going to the LA. There were some differences though. I found it much easier to do free form quilting on the LA. I think it's because you see more of the quilt and can figure out how to move from one area to the next easier. I found it harder to follow lines on the LA. In fact, on one of the first quilts I did on the LA, I used a panto in the center and marked a rope design in the borders. I could not get that rope design quilted on the LA so I finally did it on the Bernina. I have gotten better since then. LOL

Holly

I quilted on my Bernina before getting my long arm, and I do think it helped me in terms of thinking about design and the spaces on a quilt. I think the most helpful thing with a long arm is practicing on some sort of dry erase surface with a dry erase pen, and practicing at the machine itself.

Occasionally, if I want to quilt something very small, like a postcard, or a journal quilt, I will quilt on my Bernina, and I'm not nearly as good at it as I used to be. You use your muscles and body differently at each machine, and I'll bet we use different parts of our brain at each machine as well. For me they are very different skills, and while I do think that they enhance one another, I'm not convinced that practicing on your Bernina will necessarily help you once you get you long arm, other than that it will help in the area of design and confidence.

I feel like I'm contradicting myself as I type. They're both great skills to be able to master, but for me I would have to practice again on my Bernina to consider myself any good at it.

Sue K.

I, as many have already said, thin it is very helpful to have skills on the DSM when graduating to a LA. I was good enough to teach and quilt for others on my Viking D1, and I think gI really hit the ground running when I got my machine. Not to mention, those skills are important when you find that unseen (but really noticeable) boo-boo. You can just thread up the DSM and fix it in a jif.

And I agree with Sue K, the skills are different, but both work together and help us slide from one technique to the other.

I know some people that have NEVER quilted anything and get a long arm, and it seems to me they take much longer to acclimate and produce results they are happy with....

Karen,

I represent that remark!! I had only quilted a couple of baby quilts on a DM, not enough to say I was I could do it. Then I bought my LA and you know from my posts what a struggle it has been. Most of the time it is okay, but I don't feel like I will ever be on the level that some of our friends on this forum are. But that's okay....

Well, I have been quilting on my DSM with both methods - moving the fabric around, and also, for the past 3+ years, I have had a grace machine frame, too. I have made a bunch of quilts with that frame & my Bernina and I must attest that my developed skills & techniques in quilting and also using the frame, really helped me to jump right onto the longarm and go for it. No inhibitions for me! :)

Shana

I have free motion quilted on my Bernina 200 with SR and would be tired and frustrated quickly on a large piece. Small wall hangings and embellishing, etc. were okay. I am a new Millinnium owner (2 days up and running) and can spend much more time without the shoulder, elbow and wrist pain I had at the DM. Also, it is such fun to see the quilting spread out in a large area. Have much to practice to reach the level of many folks on this forum, but I'm trying.

Like many others, I started on a DSM, and moved to a longarm. Some of my drawing, design, and flow translated well to the LA from my Bernina 153. I had only been quilting a couple of years on a DSM before I got the Ultimate I.

The biggest difference for me, is the time is takes to do something on the two different machines. If I want to put a flowery vine design in a block or sashing, this is a totally different task on a DSM than on a LA. I just move the needle to the block and go on my LA. But on my Bernina, there was always the rolling, pushing, wedging, jamming in order to move the block to the needle. Much more time is used on a DSM.

And let's not forget the level of effort it takes to shove a quilt thru the small throat of a DSM. It's like an exercise workout. Instead of the shoving and pulling workout that you get on your DSM, you get a squat, stretch and look up work-out with a LA. :P

I think the design and artsy stuff can be developed and enhanced on the DSM side and that aspect of quilting does cross over when you move to a LA. And like Hollyrw said above, being able to see more of the quilt helps with the flow. You still don't see all the canvas but a bigger portion of it.

The only new thing I can contribute to what's already been said, is that I think the skill of thinking ahead of where you're going is applicable to both, especially when doing a meandering stitch. You have to know which way you want to go or else you stitch yourself into a corner, and personally, I hate to stop and start. I think it also helps with your confidence to have done machine quilting before you tackle a long-arm.

I've done at least 50 quilts on my DSM, and only had my long-arm for a few months, so haven't done that many with my long-arm, but the difference is phenomenal in terms of not having to push and pull and set up the right area to stitch. And I LOVE the stitch regulator! The only problem I'm having is with trying to get smooth freehand circles and curves, but I think that will come with practice.

Archived