Craftsy classes "up" charge

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same thing happen. I've bought MANY Craftsy.com workshops and have learned SO much, even after all these years! BUT, each time I purchase a class and go to pay for it, the price is rounded up. Today I bought another one that was 25% off. The price was supposed to be $29.39, and yet again, it was rounded up to $29.99. I've contacted them about it, and can't get an answer that makes any sense to me. Their last response had to do with "US currency". I understand that there would be some exchange IF I paid in CA dollars, but I always pay from my US PayPal account. I know 60 cents isn't anything to worry about, but I've bought 23 different classes and would reallylike to know the REAL reason behind the extra charge.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I had a similar thing happen and had an email for a class on offer for about $18.99 but they charged me $29.99 and then when I questioned it they did refund me, but not the whole amount, and denied it being on offer.... they then reduced it the following week to about $12.99 so I was a bit miffed.... but that did only happen once. Mine is always shown in £ and then charged in $ and converted to £ via paypal, so I always end up paying something slightly different...

It is not right, and unfortunately until enough people complain/threaten they probably will continue the practice. If it is a currency conversion problem they need to get a different bank/program/service or show the validity of keeping extra monies. Not relating to money conversion issues but money related: I had planned to take a 'class' but changed my mind when one of my daughters told me that she was overcharged and got no response when she emailed about the overcharge (signed up when offered on sale but she was charged full fee). It's a bummer, too, because I have been impressed with the classes they offer.

I signed up with Craftsy to take some quilting and knitting classes, but found I liked the crochet classes better, so requested a refund, which they promptly did for me, except the oldest class, which was about a year old, they are giving me a free class if I pick out one. That seems very nice really.

Just to clarify: I LOVE the Craftsy platform and the classes I've had time to watch have all been more than worth what I paid for them. BUT............ I see some classes have sold to over 5000 people. You multiply that times 30 or 60 or 90 cents and it's a LOT of extra money for them if they're doing it on every class sold. I don't believe this had anything to do with foreign exchange but I do wonder if they aren't passing on some PayPal fees to the consumer. :wacko:

Sounds like a glitch with their software and I would think it shouldn't be impossible for their techy folks to address. Especially after hearing from quite a few folks!

I had the same problem here with our county property taxes - our property had a teeny tiny corner that was in another township (picture the spot where your mailbox sits- Small!!) The taxes were like 67 cents -- but the policy is if the taxes are less than $2.50 - it rounds up to $2.50. I tackled the issue with the tax assessor when I was 8 months pregnant and cranky! Needless to say, I won, LOL!!

I, too, love what Craftsy offers; however, I have heard of this problem from other people before (more than just my daughter), and I don't agree with any business that does not/cannot bill customers correctly. Paypal fees can be passed on to customers as long as it is invoiced that way and the customer knows prior to being billed. Otherwise, that would be like me charging a customer $252.66 after I gave them a bill for $252.00. They are going to ask me what the $.66 is for before they pay it (especially if I haven't added a line specifying what that charge is) and I better have a valid expense explanation or I am going to lose credibility AND customers. Someone is making a LOT of money off thousands of people - the question is, who?

So far I haven't had a problem with being overcharged and hope that it will stay that way. I am curious to know who is behind Craftsy. I didn't sign up for their e-mails, they just started arriving and I assumed that it was something to do with the company that bought out Quilters Newsletter, McCalls and Fons and Porter magazines as they send out so many e-mails. The only thing I have been able to learn is that they seem to be based in Denver.

Hmmm, I checked my orders, I've been charged the correct amount; but I know I do pay for exchange rates on my Visa.

The classes are fantastic. I signed up for many when there was a 50% off sale, and the free classes as well.

So far so good. :)

Parm, I am really glad that it is possibly only a smaller number who have issues (who knows) - and that you aren't one of them. You say you do pay for exchange rates on your Visa, and as you are aware of the charges that's legit. Darlene made a point to say she paid through her US Paypal account, and I am beginning to wonder if it isn't the PayPal fee for sending a payment for a 'service' rather than for, like, auction goods, etc. I'm going to check my PayPal and see what it says, and also ask my dd if she paid through PP and if she listed it as for a service. That could explain it. I've sent money through PP before not for auction purchases, and the recipient received a small amount less than I sent (the fee was taken out).

I have only signed up for two workshops during the Christmas sale and did not have any trouble.

There was recently an article in the Wall Street journal about crafty.com if anyone is interested.

Here is the link, which it looks like you will have to copy and paste.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324669104578207533286902440.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

It's a pretty interesting story.

Archived