Pls help with my decision on long arms

Quilters - please help me as I am fairly new in the quilting world. I purchased a Mega Quilter a year ago to see if I had the skill to perform long arm quilting. My friends were very impressed on how quickly I was able to pick this up. I have quilted about 10 quilts over the past 8 months and with all the frustrations I have had with my mega quilter with tension problems and the limitations with this machine I've decided to move up into a bigger system.

This is where I'm torn, I thought moving into the HQ 16 would suit my needs esp for the price factor involved. However with reading many forums I see that many are moving up from the HQ into the more professional APQS systems or a GAmmill, etc... The price is the main factor that scares me, in order for me to move into a Millennium it would cost around $14,000 for a used machine, this is a major financial cost factor vs moving into a HQ for around $7,000. Is there really that much difference between the 2 systems to justify this major cost difference especially in retrieving your cost before being able to make a profit. I'm hoping to retire in the next 3 years and wish to make this a part time business venture. Am I making a big mistake in taking these steps slowly to establish my clientale before jumping into this financial burden that I hear from so many.. Should I take the big plunge or consider the middle of the road, like purchasing a Discovery... Any help you can offer would be wonderful...

Cindy,

I don't think anyone would ever tell you what you should or shouldn't do...its a personal thing, you will only know what you can and can't afford....how much you will be using the machine. You are the only one who will know if you have the business in your area...do you have a customer base now? You say you have done 10 quilt...but you didn't mention if they were for yourself or others...

You asked would you be moving to slow by not just getting a larger machine first. No, but then maybe and some would say yes....again its what you can afford. Can you afford the price of a Millie without damaging your lively hood and such? If so then go for it...enjoy the machine and don't look back.

In some cases people have gone and gotten one to NEVER see a quilt and others are so loaded from the get-go they haven't stopped to breath yet. Have you done some marketing in your area to see how many other LA's are there...what is their work loads?

Each of us will tell you that we have enjoyed our machines for whatever reason...whether its been a Gammill, APQS, HQ16 or a Domestic machine. I've had my machine for over 9 years and love it and haven't looked back once. Now will I tell you that I never struggled with worry, or tell you that I NEVER had a sleepless night because I was so scared that I would never be able to pay for it now that it was here. No, I won't. It took me 3 years and a hubby who believed in me enough to pay for all my expences before I got enough customers to make the payments myself...I was scared to death that I would never be successful enough to take over this strain. And I thank him daily...but to do it again. No, I wouldn't, I would never put my family through that again. We didn't starve, but it was tight on bills and food.

Cindysew,

I will jump in here and tell you what I know...and then maybe others will chime in.

Are you quilting for business?? If no, then you could go with the machine you feel best fits your needs.

If you are quilting for business you will need to consider this,

1. How much business is in your area.

2. How competitive is the area you live in.

3. Are you willing to spend the money on the hidden costs of longarm quilting, such as new gadgets/toys to make your quilting more desireable to your customers; classes to learn the latest techniques; etc.

4. Of course there is money for supplies, but I'm sure you have considered that.

Of course for me when you get down to the choice between APQS and Gammill, I'll take APQS - never had a Gammill, but know people who do, just my personal preference.

This is probably a choice you need to make for yourself. There is financing available - I think - there was for me.

Good luck with your decision.

Mary Beth

Cindy,

You might want to consider contacting your local (closest) HQ-16, Gammill and APQS dealer for a test drive.

That may answer all your questions, right there. I hear that Gammill is a heavier machine than APQS but, being a big girl, I did not notice that when I took a Pam Clarke class at a Gammill dealer's showroom. A friend has an HQ-16 and it works great for her. I test drove it and it reminded me of how I feel when I try on clothes that are too small; confining. I test drove the Nolting and A-1 at a show recently. I did not care for the Nolting action but the A-1 was a nice drive.

I like big Chevy trucks, you may like Toyota Camrys. It really is ALL about YOU. You need to touch and run a machine at a show or a showroom or a friends house. Whether it is $7,000 or $14,000, it is your money. Get all the facts you can before you make your decision.

Guest Linda S

I think a test drive is in order too. It's a big investment. Most of us here are partial to APQS machines, but if it's not the best fit for you, you should buy what feels right.

Linda

Cindy, Your the only one who knows what you can afford and what would fit your needs. If your only going to quilt for yourself and a once in a while quilt for others then a HQ-16 might fit your needs.

I've had both a Gammill and an APQS, hand down, I would choose an APQS. If your not in a hurry, you sould be able to find a nice used machine that would fit in your budget. You really should test drive all three before you buy.

Good luck

I too am trying to decide on which machine to use. I have found a distributer of the HQ16 that has a more sturdy/professional setup, which makes that machine more stable then the orig set up it comes with. As others have said, and I have some what figuered out, is what can you afford and what are you going to use the machine for. Another thing to consider between these machines is if you want to use any of the computerized options that are now becoming available to use on the longarms. The program that the HQ16 can use many people that I have spoken with are having some problems with using it on there machines. The APQS/Gammill machines do not. This is one of my main concerns because I want that option. Again it comes back to what you ultimately you want to do with the machine long term. Like you said it is a considerable investment difference between them. Good luck with your decision making.

Ladies, Please keep in mind that you can be on the lookout for a used Longarm machine, and it might not cost much more than a new HQ16. I don't know anything about HQ 16, Gammill,or anything other than APQS, so I'm no help there. I do know I could not, and still can not, afford a brand new Millenium. That's why I bought my machine used. It is a good machine, and with regular maintanence it will probably last another 10 or 15 years, easy.

Cindysew, each brand of quilting machine has it's good points and what one person might like about one brand of machine, another person won't like. Sewingupastorm loves her Gammill, I love my Nolting, and all the APQS owners on this site love their machines :) It's a personal decision and like Linda S said, test driving will really help you make a better decision. Good luck and remember whatever machine you decide to get will be the perfect machine for you :)

Gable

Cindy,

Go to one of the quilting show for LA'er's...either MQX (machine quilters exposition in Manchester, NH) or MQS (machine quilters showcase in Overland Park, KS) Every dealer is represented there even ones you are not aware of. Test drive every machine...learn the pros and cons...choosing a machine is like wearing shoes...one size does not fit all. I am a previous gammill owner....it was too big of a machine for me...I switched to an APQS...it was a much better match for me. I love my Millie and Liberty...it was the best decision for me.

Take class...it is a wonderful opprotunity to learn from national teachers.

Good Luck,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I'm in agreement with everyone else on the list. You cannot make a decision like this without trying out ALL of the machines. Going to a major show such as MQX will afford you the opportunity to try most if not all of the major brands available. Don't balk at the cost of airfare/hotel, etc. when you consider the cost of what you are purchasing. It could very well be the best money you will spend.

If you are going to go into business, check with your local Small Business Administration or SCORE office for assistance. They are there for people just like us and at least you will be making informed, knowledgable decsions and not shooting from the hip.

Good luck and have fun.

Deborah McVay

New Jersey

today there is an Ultimate 2 for sale for 3700 in our Used Machine Ads. You could buy that and have a real long arm without a stitch regulator and you will quickly find that your stitches are fine. You won't have invested so much and later on if you want to upgrade you will probably lose very little on the long arm. I have an Ultimate 2 and I've only done about 10 quilts so far but I see the great possibilities of it. It is a big space commitment. I am going catty corner across a room and not much space to breath at both ends but it's worth it. You will probably only want to upgrade if you go with the HQ 16 because you will realize the space limitations of the small throat. I doubt it would hold the value of a Ultimate 2.

Archived