Dialing 9-1-1 -- Batik backing troubles!!!

I know this has been discussed ... sorry for a rehash!!! 

I (thought I) was having trouble with tension on a customer's quilt with a wide back batik. Never ever had troubles before with a batik and I've used Joanns all the way to the nice LQS quality ones.

I've tried a size 16 needle, an 18, and a 20. I'm using Isacord and can usually use a 16 with batiks, no problems. I'm seeing the problem increase as I'm increasing the needle size so I thought to run the the machine without the needle threaded and see what the backside looks like. It's AWFUL!!!  It's not a problem with tension but rather the quality of the batik I think. Is this going to "fix itself" after a washing? Not sure if I should stop quilting and call the customer or what. She is a new quilter and I'm pretty sure she bought this at the LQS only because it is a wide back.

Help/advice, please!  :(

(looking through my bobbin camera) First picture is without thread, left side is 20 needle, right side is 16 needle. Second picture is size 18 needle with thread.

The fuzzy holes are messing with what should be great tension  :angry:

EDIT: I guess I should mention that the batik is very tightly woven, even if it doesn't look like it in the picture. And the batting is the customer's own W&N. The bumps in the first picture look and feel as if I stitched through paper as in paper piecing. It is bad.

post-5206-0-84655200-1359832323_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-35075600-1359832336_thumb.jpg

Hi Bonnie,

I'm not sure all of your holes will recover, but the water spritz is worth a try. A long time ago I recommended trying a mixture of 4 parts water to 1 part liquid Downy fabric softener, and spritzing the backing with this and allowing it to dry. This suggestion came from Laura Lee Fritz, a well-known longarmer. She felt that the mixture softened the batik strands enough to help with needle penetration. 

Because it looks like your needle may have "split" some of the fibers rather than slipping between them, not all of holes may recede. Try the smaller needle to avoid that problem, and make sure the W&N is 'right side up'. Just having the W & N adds a bit of trouble, too, because the needle has to work so hard to pierce it before it even hits the backing fabric. A different batting may improve the look too.

Dawn, reading your post made me feel better. I appreciate your wisdom. I'm going to try the Downy (Snuggle in my case) and water idea.

I called my customer and passed the information along as to what was happening and that I didn't know if it would fix itself in the wash, that this was a first for me. I offered that we could do another backing or I could discount her on this quilt. It is for her young granddaughter's bed so she was fine continuing with things as they are going and she offered to pay my regular price, but I just couldn't live with that. The quilting result too far from perfect for me! :angry:  

I'm going to test another portion of her backing fabric with a different batting and see if the same thing is happening. At least that way I will have some idea for the future as to whether trying another batting would be of any help.

I love long arming for others but all the differentials in fabrics and battings and threads, and on an on, just get to be stressful. 

Bonnie,

Batik wide battings or 42 inches, in my experience are always to be washed, sometimes even twice because of all the stuff they use to produce lovely pattern. I tell that to my customers & there are also wide backing's that are so stiff, I just treat them the same, into the wash, no softener wash, just orvus or quilt soap. Damp dried and stretched over the empty longarm frame to dry nicely without ironing. Learned that from Cindy Roth.

I always use a 3.5 needle for batiks and do change it often.  Also, I try to use a wool or even a poly batting so the needle doesn't have to actually 'punch' through everything.  Your idea of trying a different batting to see how things would work is a good one.  I didn't know about the water/softener trick..will have to keep that one handy.  Yes, washing batik backings are pretty much a must do...however, I would ask the customer to wash it.  I am just to leary of washing someones fabric in case something was to happen....major shrinkage or color runnings. ;)

I have a friend who always used W & N. Then one top came out terrible. With more research, she found that they changed the way they made the batting. She had fluffy pokies all over the back. It looks like your needle actually cut the fabric. And yes, I agree the backing should be washed. I have had batiks with the wax still on them in spots. That was another nightmare!! 

Yay, the quilt is done. Looks great from the front, back is so-so. The panto was "Raindrops."

Linda & Laura, thanks for the needle changing tip. I started with a new needle and changed it half way through. It didn't really make a visible difference but it didn't hurt either!

Corey & LinneaMarie, after the stress of quilting this backing, I'm going to have to remember to have the customer's wash their batik backs. 

LinneaMarie, I have noticed that W&N has changed a bit over the years. Even with the changes, this is the first time I've had troubles with it, so I'm definitely on the watch out in the future! I've been thinking of completely switching over to QD after my supply of W&N is gone. Still on the fence about making a decision ...

Laura, wouldn't you know, I pulled the quilt off the frame and forgot to test it with a different batting. Shoot!!  :angry:  I'm gonna go do that now.

Oh, and I sprayed water on the backing. Big difference. Not 100% great, but made it about an 80% good result. You can see the quilt is already wrinkling up and looking antique-y from the water!

post-5206-0-51033100-1359929016_thumb.jpg

Hope you figure out if it's the batting, would love to know.  The front looks beautiful though, I have to say!! 

Thanks, Valerie! I think it looks pretty good, too. I bet she will like it.

I tried four other battings. Hobbs 80/20 gave about the same result as the W&N. Quilter's Dream Puff was a little better than the W&N and Hobbs 80/20. Quilter's Dream Request was about the same as Hobbs 80/20 and W&N, possibly a little better. Quilter's Dream Wool gave the best result, though still not perfect. I think Laura is on to something when she says to use wool or poly batting!

I'm considering asking if she minds if I keep a little bit of the backing that is left so I can wash it and see how it quilts after washing.

Archived