My Second Customer Quilt - Freehand Rosettes

Wow, that wasn't the kindest or most gentle delivery there, but I'd like to think your intentions were to be helpful and not unkind.  I am learning to maneuver my long arm, this is my fifth quilt, and I'm pretty happy with it (hence the posting).  The stitches are a little longer than I'd like - I have no stitch regulation so that makes an impact.

I understand - and appreciate the apology!  I could see your intentions weren't to be hurtful, but I will admit, being new it stung a little when I was so happy with this and the first comment was a criticism!  I absolutely am open to suggestions, and am grateful for the help and advice.  :)  I am getting there and this is worlds better than my first quilt so I'm pretty thrilled with the results!

Pumpkinpatchquilter, you are doing fantastic for a new long arm user and one doing so without stitch regulation.  I struggled for months and just could not get the hang of doing exactly what you are succeeding at - it's not easy, and your dedication shows!  Your quilt top is very cute, too.  Good job and great progress!

You are coming along nicely.  It is clear that you have good control over your machine because your stitches are consistent.  I'm not sure what was said that upset you but I know Kristina well and she is a sweet heart who would never hurt anybody intentionally.  Sometimes words that we read impact us differently than words that are spoken.  Looks like your tension is a little on the loose side, lol mine is almost always on the tight side.  It takes practice tweaking it just so.  Looks like you are ready to speed up a little and then you're stitches will be able to keep up with you.  I wish I could be that consistent in non-SR mode!  

Aww thanks guys, I'm getting there!!!  When I first discovered WHAT it meant to not have stitch regulation - that the machine just GOES even if you don't move it, I think my jaw dropped and I was speechless for several minutes.  LOL**  I tried out a friends Gammill and was like, "what???"  Before that I had been totally adamant that I needed stitch reg...but later discovered off the bat it just wouldn't be in my budget.

I will get there.  Hahaha - my first sewing machine was a 1970's olive green Europro, no needle down, no fancy stitches, not even the pedal had speed control.  Hahaha - it was, push the foot pedal and GO at a hundred miles an hour!  I free motion quilted on that thing, I did amazing things after getting the hang of it.  I have faith (silly beginners faith right?) that I'll get there even without all the bells and whistles of the new machines.  (But I fully intend to earn those bells and whistles when I can finally afford them!)   :)

Edited to Add:  Kristina deleted her original comment, I know it's confusing for others that read through, but I'm not upset.  It was direct and I think the way it was worded was a little painful to my ego, but I truly think her goal was not to be unkind but to point out my error so that I can improve upon it.  Much is lost when sharing over the internet.  She responded as kind and apologetic as anyone could have asked for and I'm grateful for her care to not offend anyone.  Just having the decency to acknowledge that it was forward and apologize for it - she's a stand up gal and I  truly have no ill feelings towards her!   ;)

Pumpkinpatch,

So glad to see your second customer quilt! Those roses look like they are real! You have an excellent imagination and "eye" for design.

I'm also happy to see that we quilters can support each other and know that any constructive comments are meant to help and not to hurt. We all know that no amount of emoticons or italics can express the feelings behind our words, so it's easy to misinterpret the intent of anything we type. Glad to know that you're taking any helpful hints in the true vein in which they were intended and not as meant to hurt.

I don't have a stitch regulator on my machine either (it's an Ultimate I just like yours--an oldie but a goodie bought in 1994.) You've done a marvelous job of managing both the motion as well as the smoothness. Those rose petals are nice and round! You should see my first wiggly-giggly quilts! If you'd like some "technical" tips on making the Ultimate I work better for you (such as what to do to if you want a different stitch length, what setting is best to do micro work, how to manage tie-offs if the motor "over runs", etc.) just let me know and I'll share some with you. 

Actually using a machine in manual sewing mode is an excellent way to become skilled at freehand work much faster. You have a hugh advantage! Without a stitch regulator you are forced to concentrate on fluid motion and design formation first, without regard to length of stitch. In fact, I encourage all my students to practice new techniques without the SR on first to "train their brain" and imprint "muscle memory". For example, when doing feathers, there's a certain rhythm one must develop to make the plumes smooth and graceful.

When you stitch in manual mode, you must concentrate on that aspect because the machine keeps sewing...it doesn't allow you time to stop and think. Which in this case is a GOOD thing! You want the motions to become a natural reflex, just like the guy who shoots 3-point shots in basketball. He doesn't have time to stop and think about his feet placement, his hand position, his wrist bend, etc. He has to pump and release! He's practiced it 100 times so that it is natural and intuitive, not stunted by over-thinking. When I force students in class to finally turn off the regulator and try some things without it, they are amazed at their results and find out their fear was unwarranted.

You're doing wonderfully, keep posting pictures!

Thank you Dawn!

You are certainly an inspiration.  I keep telling myself if you, and all of the kind folks on this forum who have done well with their Ultimate 1's can do it, then so can I!  :)  Everyone here has been incredibly supportive and helpful, and I'm grateful for it.  While I have many quilting pals, not many of them have long arms, and not one of them has an APQS!  So this is such an invaluable resource.

I am finding that now that the muscles are developing in my arms that are necessary to move this machine correctly, it's much easier to make round shapes.  I wish I had started working out before getting my machine though!!  HA!!  Lifting weights maybe would have helped!!  :)  I am really having a wonderful time.  Love to be inspired by all of the amazing quilters here and what a great group of cheerleaders you all are.  I tried to sew on my domestic today - it was like trying to walk after spending an hour on a lawn mower!!!  HAHAHAHA I fidgeted and fumbled and kept looking for the dials on my long arm on the side of the sewing machine!!  :)

Archived