Starch removal method?

I bought a quilt top from an estate sale and it seemed like the material was a bit stiff, so I rinsed it

out a couple of times.  Then when I pressed it the quilt top was super flat and almost stuck to the ironing board.

So I figured out that the quilt maker must have used laundry starch for some reason.  Do I just keep soaking it

and rinsing until the fabric becomes much softer?  

I think that if I try to quilt this top as it is now the needle will make permanent holes in the starched fabric.

The fun part of this quilt is that as I was ironing it from the back side, I found a signature!  It says:

Summer of 1958, Patricia - Mom.

Heidi - the fabric is cotton and its only the muslin that seems to be heavily starched. The pattern is the apple core, and I think that is why the quilter starched her fabric in the first place.

You are so right about the IRONING! One good thing about all of the heavy starch is that as I iron it is taking all of the fullness out where the fabric stretched due to the curved seams!!

It must have been well protected if it had that much starch and wasn't eaten by buggie boos over the years.  Also, I am a bit surprised it was that well startched and has not broken where it was folded.  You know, must people used a dip starch back then.  I'll bet that puppy was dip startched which helped it to together so nicely!

Boy does that bring back childhood memories of helping Mama starch my father's shirts.  I'm sure not as stiff as you describe your quilt top, or he would never have been able to wear them.  But starching was quite a process.  Of course, followed by sprinkling and rolling and storing in a pillow case for a few hours to get evenly damp, and then ironing - no steam irons in those days!

Boy does that bring back childhood memories of helping Mama starch my father's shirts.  I'm sure not as stiff as you describe your quilt top, or he would never have been able to wear them.  But starching was quite a process.  Of course, followed by sprinkling and rolling and storing in a pillow case for a few hours to get evenly damp, and then ironing - no steam irons in those days!

I remember my girlfriends mom, who took in ironing, using a coke bottle with a shaker top to sprinkle the clothes with water and then roll them up and put in the the fridge. My mom did not do that, so I though it was pretty cool. LOL

Heidi, Chris, and Bonnie, I remember those same techniques my grandmother used. Cold, damp clothes in the refrig! It brings back memories of hanging out with her when I was little. She will be 92 years this year and is still pretty spry. She has many great things stored in her brain from things they did in the olden days, anywhere from boiling pomegranates to use as cough aids, to ways she cooks and gardens. She's a health food "nut," has been for 50 plus years, and does tai chi or some such exercise with my mom. Our elderly are so full of knowledge that is soon to be lost to our generation! She used to save all old clothes and blankets, sheets, everything, saying one day those may be made into a quilt. If only I had paid more attention to the things my grandma did when I was a kid and lived close.

Archived