Pin stabilizing -- is this enough?

I'm still new to custom quilting and if a customer asks if I do custom, the answer is no. But every once in a while I find someone that wants a quilt done and they aren't looking for a masterpiece, and if they have seen something I have done and are fine with my work and can twist my arm, I will take them on.

And the headache and sleepless nights begin as I have taken another on! LOL

I have plans on quilting this quilt in order (with the exception of the borders which I would like to do last) but do need to roll a little bit as all the blocks are set on point and the squares are a little on the large side. I have pinned the border across the top and down part of the sides and have SID around some of the on-point squares and setting triangles but need to advance to do a little more SID before beginning the first row of quilting.

So here's my question:

Do I have this thing stabilized enough with pins so that I can roll the quilt a bit and finish SID'ing the first and part of the second row before quilting? I don't want any wonkies!

post-5206-0-05955600-1361233172_thumb.jpg

You have pinned it into submission! :P

Here's my take on pin-stabilizing--if I'm going to leave a border to quilt last, I'll pin baste it regularly--as you have done. Maybe not quite so close together and I would use pins with smaller heads. I use yellow glass-heads and many swear by the yellow flower-heads since they lay flat and are easy to see. You have over-pinned a bit, but it's all stable and that's what counts.

You only need to stabilize with pins in the interior until you've done your SID or other quilting. Then the pins can be removed to use in the next section. I square and pin-baste each quilting field. I make sure everything is straight--especially the horizontal seams and the vertical border seams. The borders will stay pinned until quilted. 

The quilt looks very pretty and you'll make it even better with your quilting!

Thank you for such a fast response, Linda!! Haha, I didn't know I had pinned it into submission, but I like that  :P As soon as these pins need sharpening, I'm going to toss them and use some glass heads or flower heads ... these are the last two boxes of corsage pins and I don't want to toss them before I've gotten my money's worth. 

Yes, this is a very pretty quilt. I love the colors and she did an excellent job piecing and appliqueing. Thank goodness! It will make my job easier, but I'm always nervous to take in such nice work!

I just stapled a quilt onto the leaders for the first time today. I then covered the staples with masking tape so as not to have the staples catch the fabric as it rolls. Havent finished the quilt yet...but when I do...i certainly hope the staples come out easily. I am tired of drawing blood from pinning.

If you staple with the bottom of the stapler towards the quilt they pull right out, kinda like pulling a piece of paper out of a notebook.

Pinning?  I gave up pinning quite a while ago.  I did the zipper thing, the Snappers, but now I'm on to the velco.  Although I still have the zippers on my leaders, I now use velcro and LOVE it.  It is so easy to put on and take off.  It is also easy to readjust if needed.  I baste the quilt to the opposite edge of the velcro which is easy to remove when finished.  Sharon Schamber has a YouTube video on it.

Beth

Bonnie ,no need to get rid of dull pins ,they sell loose emory fill on etsy, the stuff that is in the little strawberry attached to your old traditional tomatoe looking pin cushions ,its real fine and its used to sharpen the tips of all your pins ,when I am bored I will grab my pins and emory cushion ,all you do is just keep stabbing the pins into it to sharpen them ,the straw in the other part of the tradional pin cushion is designed to condition them after sharpened ,my aunt use to slide straight pins through her hair to make them glide easier through her fabric .

Archived