I didn't know it would be this hard.....

.....to sell my Millennium! I listed it in October and have not had but a few nibbles. And now, with the entry of the Next Generation machine and all the dealers selling their old models, I'm finding the market is totally saturated with machines!

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment. Any of you others trying to sell your machines having any luck?

I really think my price is good, especially when comparing it to the others out there. I really don't want to "give" it away.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried any other sites.  There's Quiltropolis, MQ resource, Longarm University, Longarm Chat and House of Hansen.  Longarm Chat and House of Hansen you'll have to pay and small fee to list them.  You might even try posting them in some of the local guilds in your area and try putting some flyers in your local quilt stores as well if they'll let you.  You can even list it your local Buy and Sell newspaper.  Don't give up just yet.  It will sell.   Regards, zeke..........

As Zeke suggested, put your efforts into selling it locally. You probably know of a longarmer-wanna-be. Someone who admires your work and may have mentioned a wish to "do that someday". Offer to allow a demo for a half-hour at a scheduled time. Offer a free lesson or lessons with purchase. Offer rental time between customers if you can, but only to seriously interested people--no looky-loos. Set up an open house through your guild or LQS to demo the machine like a Road Show. Tell all your friends/customers that you'll give a "finder's fee" to anyone who brings a buyer to you. That fee could be a free or heavily-discounted quilting job.

I wouldn't go so far as to offer to take payments on the machine, but you might need to go that route to get the price you want. It all depends on how desperate you are to sell. Your machine has lots of great add-ons--play up the worth of those add-ons and maybe throw in a starter thread kit. If $50 worth of thread will help someone decide to purchase an $11,000 machine, it's a good investment.

Good luck and I hope your baby sells soon!

Laurie have you tried to list it on Craigslist? After I purchased my Millie I placed my Ultimate 1 w/Intellistitch on craigslist and sold it in less than a week. It's worth a shot and it doesn't cost anything to list it.

hi laurie, even though this forum seems flooded with machines right now, your location might be the greatest selling advantage that you have. i like linda's idea of a demo day and offering beginner classes to go with your machine. 

hang in there. it will sell. and no, i wouldn't give it away either. the millenniums are too good of a machine for that! 

i can add your machine advertisement to my blog and try to help that way. who knows, maybe it will get some bites!  ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Make sure it is advertised in the SF bay area as well as Sacramento, Chico areas etc.  There are a lot of quilters and guilds up north.  I grew up in Marin and am now in So CA.  The central valley is another area.  Even Reno/Tahoe areas etc.

Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I had a difficult time selling my Millie.  It took about 2 years, but finally found a great home for my machine.  Keep trying. The right person will come along.,   Also be very careful when posting to other sites.  I had one buyer that ended up being a scam. be very leary of e-mails that use poor english grammer.

Archived