creating a website

Hey Girls, I have wanted to get a website for a long time but feel like I am lost at sea.  Has anyone experience with Go Daddy.com or any other web building sites??  Any advice for a newbie in this area?? Thanks.Tracey :):wacko::blink:

I'd steer you away from GoDaddy. They aren't well known for their responsiveness after the sale and their marketing campaigns make me want to throw things. I do love DreamHost. Love, love, love it. Of course, that is just hosting. As for the actual backbone of your site I'd recommend using WordPress. Buy a subscription to Lynda.com and take the Wordpress classes there. DreamHost has a one button WordPress install. Finally, look at buying a premium theme for WordPress. I love WooThemes but there are tons of other ones- just don't Google "Free WordPress Theme". There are evil downloads lurking there. 

Have fun!

HTH!

It depends on what you want to use it for.  I started one up quite some time ago on weebly. It is free and I thought it was fairly easy. I have not been on it or updated for a long time but here it is if you want to take a peek        http://bitsandpiece.weebly.com/    actually I believe it is under my signature. I will get back to it someday soon!

Oh my gosh.  I'm afraid to admit that I have never seen a marketing campain of Go daddy.  Just saw them last night searching for domain names and such.  Thanks!! Thanks Cheri and thanks Angela.  I will go check out wordpress and dreamhost now.  My tea is made and everyone is sleepin' 'cept me!!! Heaven. ;)

My husband is a web developer, and recommends wordpress to those looking to start their own site: it has more features than others, and is pretty user friendly.  depending on what you want to do, and how much bandwidth you're looking to use, there are a couple of options.  Since we communicate between floors using IM (I know.  we're nerds.  Beats yelling at each other between levels, though!), here's exactly what he wrote:

depends on what they need
just a blog -> usewordpress.com or tumblr.com
actual site, maybedreamhost.com

By "actual site", he means where you register your own domain name.  For example, my domain name is www.mandalei.com  and I "own" that as long as I pay the registration.  If I wanted to use wordpress or tumbler, the address for my site would be mandalei.wordpress.com or mandalei.tumblr.com

I'm not sure if this is an option for wordpress, but with blogspot I can type my domain name (that I purchased) www.bloomingquilts.com and get to www.bloomingquilts.blogspot.com. It was something I set up in the settings. I wonder if maybe wordpress users have the same option so they can eliminate "blogspot" or "wordpress" or "tumblr."

Archived