An 80 something year old lady brought me a top to quilt for her.  She brought the batting also - Fairfield.  As I was loading the Fairfield I was thinking it was much better than any Fairfield I had ever used before.  I backed away and noticed a flyer lying on the carpet "1984 poly-fill Quilt Contest"  So, I am thinking it was a quilt contest that was started in 1984 and still going strong.  Wrong!  The batting was from 1984!  You know, that stuff was pretty good way back then!  That stuff is nearly 30 years old! (As is the quilt top I am working on). The lady's daughter make the quilt top and died in 1984.  The lady wanted to get it quilted before she died too.  Anyone worked with batting older than '84?

Ever have a quilt that just didn't want to be quilted?  This quilt just won't go peacefully!  Once a pass is made the quilting looks nice but it is fighting me every step of the way.  I think after 30 years it just wanted to RIP.  I'll let it rest once it is finished.  Then it will be so proud of itself!

Archived