Magnet bars

I went to Harbor Freight today with DH and found that magnetic bars were on sale for $4.99 and are 18" long. Also got a magnetic wrist band for $2.99. Checking 2 items off my long list of longarm accessories I decided I needed!  I thought the prices were so good, I should share in case these items are on your list as well. Happy day.

Well, I sure wish we had a Harbour Freight here!  I bought a magnetic bar last night from Crappy Tire and it was 14.99!! AND it's only 11" long!!! Can anyone tell me a good place to get them in Canada?  I've looked online but not found much. Thanks :D

Well, I sure wish we had a Harbour Freight here!  I bought a magnetic bar last night from Crappy Tire and it was 14.99!! AND it's only 11" long!!! Can anyone tell me a good place to get them in Canada?  I've looked online but not found much. Thanks :D

Do you have a Peavy mart?   Real cheap there for heavy duty 24" bars,  I think i paid $6.99 plus GST/PST in Sk.

Karen, The reason I bought them is to hold the quilt sandwich to my belly bar as I free float my tops. It was time consuming to pin after each advance and this seemed  like it will be alot quicker. Also, when I would put some pins to keep things straight, there has been the occassional time I would forget to unpin. I had no problems but knew sometime I was going to harm some part of the quilt sandwich. Looking forward to trying them today.

I use the cardboard tube from roll batting to make a "holder" for my floated quilt tops/batting.............for mine, I cut about a 1" or so piece out of the tube (end to end) , then it "snaps" right over the belly bar, quilt top/batting to keep it taught.   Works on the same principle as the quilt clips, but I think it is easier and holds better.  They last a long time before needing to be replaced and by then I usually have another tube ready from an empty roll of batting !   I got this tip here on the forum from someone..........I think it was one of the guys, but can't remember who or when.   It's been a while.   I also find that if I cut the tube in 1/2, it works to have shorter sections to cut the piece from and also to use.   I have 3 or 4 pieces about 24" long each, so I can use however many I need for the size of the quilt.   Make sense??? 

I bought the Harbor Freight 9 lb magnets a few months ago.   I use them the way K.S. described, to keep the quilt top in place instead of pinning across the quilt near the front roller bar. 

I'm finding that these magnets hold great for smaller quilts, but not at all for larger ones.  I guess the thickness of the fabric rolled around the backing bar makes the difference.

I only gave a quick try of the magnets. The quilt on board now is a large one. Batting is triple folded on bar to keep it off the floor, folded up then folded back a pinch. The magnet did not work at all. It worked when folded once ( 2 thickness )  of batt. I will have to play around with it today to see how I like this setup. I think your cardboard idea sounds good Linda. May have to try that if magnets are a bust.

Archived