Paper Bobbin problems

With a commercial embroidery machine, the answer is to take out the anti-backlash spring inside the bobbin case when using paper bobbins. I have not had that problem with our Milli (probably because it stitches so slowly). Make sure there is not a burr inside the bobbin case, possibly on the anti-backlash spring, or in the hook assembly. Which side is tearing?

John

I hear that some quilters actually tear the cardboard off the prewounds. I had one side of a cardboard prewound fall off once. I put the bobbin back in and kept going, no problem.

I would check the bobbin case backlash spring, though to make sure that the fingers are still in the right place and have a little pressure toward the prewound bobbin.

bobbin-spring.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have never used paper bobbins in the Millenium. I do use them in one of my embroidery machines, sometimes I remove the top side but usually just leave them as they are. I just felt the spring in the bobbin case may tear them and cause problems. Maybe on the next quilt I will try and see what happens.

I use NEB bobbins. They are plastic. I use them in all of my embroidery machines.

I also fill them with thread if I am using the same as the top of the quilt. I never had to change tension from them to metal bobbins.

If I have wound to many I don't have to empty them as I save all empty ones to be refilled with regular thread.

Hope this helps someone else. I love them.

Nice to know I don't need the paper. Thanks. I've been using Bob's too and don't have any problem. I even purchased those teflon discs (Magic Bobbin Genies sold by PurpleDaisiesllc.com) that fit into the bobbin and haven't used them yet. Maybe other manufacturer's machines need them.

http://purpledaisiesllc.com/catalog.php?page=2&all=yes

Vicki

Archived