Shipping machines

I haven't bought a long arm long distance, but I did buy a Juki and my Brother Laura Ashley embroidery machine from Sewing Machines Plus. They were nice to deal with, but when I sent my Brother in for it's annual checkup, they had a problem with the electronics and now it doesn't like to turn on very quickly. So if you plan on buying like that, make sure you can find a rep locally that you can use the warranty at so you won't have any headaches. Also, if you are considering the Juki long arm from Kathyquilts.com, I recommend them. They are a small operation and are wholeheartedly interested in helping you learn. If I would have had the money, I would have purchased that long arm but I only had a few thousand so I ended up buying an old used Ultimate I.

I've bought a couple of older model sewing machines. Very heavy, all metal. They were packaged with bubble wrap. Worked like new out of the box. I would insure your machine with the PO.

if you're not near a longarm rep they'll have you ship the machine for repairs. I think it's safe.

If the seller doesn't have the original boxes, APQS has the foam packing inserts and correct-size boxes for the head available for purchase. Have them shipped to the seller. Then go online to find a shipping company. Because of the length of the rails, rollers, and table top you'll need a freight company and not UPS unless you can find one who ships over-size freight. I hope someone chimes in with a good suggestion for a shipping company. Or contact APQS to ask which company they use. Also ask what the weight and dimensions of the set-up are so you'll have that ready when you're getting price quotes from shippers.

Unless your seller is willing to ready the parts for shipping, you'll need to pay the shipper to wrap parts like the top and table legs. My rollers came strapped together but without additional wrapping. 

They come fed ex freight, but you would want everything boxed. I kept my head box but not the tail or leg boxes. A box could be made for the rails if they didn't keep them. They would be a pain to store. Hope this helps. Maybe a dealer close to the seller would have some of the boxes after an install.

Shirley

Tyquilter:  I bought an APQS Ult2 3 years ago, long distance.  I live in North Texas, and the machine came from central Florida.  I arranged the shipping myself.  I used an on line shipping site called U-Ship.  It's a site where independent shippers can bid on shipping jobs.  I posted the job, got 3 or 4 bids on it, and selected the one that suited me best.  You list the details of the job (weight, length, and the level of service you require)

It was a really painless process.  Unfortunately the seller incorrectly listed it as a 10' table when it was really 12'.  I posted it as 10', well it wouldn't fit in the haulers van.  He rented a truck that it would fit in-now that's real customer service.  I had to wait about 2 weeks for delivery.  The haulers like to get several jobs going the same way to make the trip profitable.  With the listing fee and the charge for hauling it, it cost me $557.  Communication with the hauler I chose was great.  I can't gaurentee your's would be as great, but this was my experience. 

There are several service options available, from simply pick up and deliver to complete take down and set up.  I was really pleased with the service I got.  A very easy process, that I highly recommend.  Jim

I bought my Millie without seeing her, had her shipped from Texas to Iowa. I was a bit nervous about it but in the end everything went well. The freight company sent it to the wrong state so it took an extra day but that was the worst thing that happened. The seller had the boxes. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I just bought my Millie from this forum. Wonderful people here. Shipping was a nightmare tho. Because of shipping I was starting to believe I wasn't going to be able to get the long arm I wanted. I finally called APQS almost in tears and very frustrated to asked for their help. Found out they use old dominion. I was lucky I didn't have to buy boxes, seller still had them. I couldn't be any happier with buying Patience (Millie) from here or that I went with APQS. Between the seller and APQS's help I now own my Patience. If your leery of buying here simply call APQS and see what their records show for this longarm. Also check around on here to see other posts from the seller. I personally wouldn't be scared to buy anything from here. These ladies and gents are full of helpful advice. I bought mine sight unseen as well. Patience was shipped from Virgina to Iowa. Her name is patience because I waited years to buy her and very long days and nights for weeks trying very hard to actually get her here. I hope I help in some way. Good luck to you!!

Hi,

When I got Lucey this spring....I was panicking because a major snowfall was predicted...and I don't have a garage...and all strong men I know would probably be at work...so I bought some tarps to cover the boxes if needed until some strong men could come....but, Old dominion was great...at least the local folks up here....they went above and beyond to get her to my house and safely tucked inside...as the contract is for drop shipment ....they really didn't need to do this....snowflakes were flying as Lucey arrived and shortly after she was inside, it really was a white out.....I was so happy and relieved!  Lin

Tyra:  I didn't have any problems with Zelda running when I got her.  I bought her sight unseen.  I had to learn to use her and I discovered a few things on the way.  For instance, the 3 hole pre-tension assembly was loose, and it took me a few months to discover what position it should be set at. I also found that the check spring was set too close to Zelda's head, and did not properly function.  (I wish APQS had more photos of properly set up machines on their web site.  It would help the unexperienced discover problems)

I wasn't afraid of buying sight unseen (the seller did send me a couple of photos, so it wasn't entirely unseen) because I know that very little goes wrong with these machines.  The users need to learn to deal with all the little things that do crop up anyway.  Nothing much can go wrong that can't be fixed relatively inexpensively, so I wasn't too intimidated.  I didn't like the roller assembly on Zelda's table, but I pretty much knew that when I bought her, so I rebuilt the table to my liking.  I'm satisified that the descriptions given on the forum are as accurate as the seller can make them, but as you can see from the table lenght issue I had, sometimes the seller is uninformed.  What I'm trying to say is I don't think anyone here intentionally misrepresents what they're selling.

My biggest concern was shipping, and U-Ship took care of that.  As near as I could determine Zelda was gently handled.  The independent hauler I had did hauling as a part time venture.  He told me he was earning money to take his grand children to Disney World.  His full time job was high school vocational teacher.  As such he was interested in doing a good job for me, not just getting the job finished.  After the job is over, you rate your shipper, and the ratings are part of the vetting process used when others choose someone to haul their load.  While I didn't buy the "white glove" service, the seller had not completed the disassembly of Zelda when my guy showed up to pick her up.  He helped complete the disassembly and loaded her up.  Again, I don't know whether everyone would receive this type service, but that's what I got.

As you can see, I am happy with the shipping solution I chose.  I would not hesitate to buy long distance again, and I would use U-Ship to get the machine to me.  Good luck.  Jim

Where do I POST a GEORGE for Sale, Please??  Do I just pick a forum and Post it or go to certain place where you see things for Sale?  This is my first time to sign onto a forum and I'm not sure where to go. Tnx for any Help anyone will give me....Judy

Hi Judy. On the home page you need to go to "forums".

The third forum down is APQS machines and within that is one titled "For sale--used machines". Click on that and start a new thread. 

Include in the header that it's a George.

Things to include in the post--

Your location, the model year, your asking price, any accessories you will be including, and any help you may offer as to shipping or pick-up of the machine.

Include an email address unless you're planning to check back often for offers. Better to take all back-and-forth conversations off-line.

As a courtesy, please post when it's sold and also edit the header to reflect the sale as well.

Good luck and I hope you find a new home for your George.

Archived