Millie Electrical Setup Question

Hi All

I am having some electrical work done to prepare a spot for my new Millie. Since at this point I can customize I thought I would ask if there is a best place/height for the electrical outlets. I want to put it somewhere where it won't be in the way and won't interfere with the function of the machine. So...do any of you experienced folks have some suggestions? If it matters it is a 14ft table with the hydraulic lift and will be on wheels. It took months to get an electrician lined up so I want to do this right!

Thanks!

Dave, in my previous studio, I snaked a grounded extension cord under my foam pads so that my surge protector sat pretty much under the middle of the table.  Then I ran the cords to the Power Fabric Advance and Millie head from there, along with other goodies plugged in around the table, like air compressor and side lights.  I'm sure there will be other suggestions out there for you, but I'm pretty sure you can put the power wherever it works for you! ;)

Dave 

I suggest you have outlets on the wall near one end of the machine.  Then you can plug your extension cord or surge protector in and route the cord to the middle of the table.  You don't want to be tripping over cords on either the panto or freehand side of the table.  If this is commercial space and you are never moving the machine you could have an outlet on the floor underneath.  Some people have overhead wiring but I suspect most of us don't. 

Nigel

Edit

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have an extra pair of outlets on the wall at the end of the table.  You may want to add overhead lighting and a small air compressor.  Don't forget you need somewhere to put your bobbin winder and plug it in also.

I put outlets 4' high ever 4' throughout my room. Son and hubby couldn't understand why, but I have outlets when I need them. I ran a 6' surge protector from the outlet at the end of my machine, zip tied it to the frame and then plug all my components into it. The one wall is all on a separate breaker. I did that wall that way since I wasn't sure what I was putting where.

Shirley

I have 3 separate circuits in my Studio.  One that has runs the lights and most of the wall outlets.  Then I added one that is attached to two outlets that in my ceiling.  The third is attached to 2 additional wall outlets.  I had planned to plug my Millie into the ceiling so that I would not have cords running.  I am glad I put the third circuit in because I use a UPS and I would have had to drop that cord from the ceiling down to my UPS anyway.  The UPS sits under the middle of the machine.  Oops!     If I did it over again I would not have put in the ceiling outlets.  Since my domestic sewing machine and iron are in the same room, the separate circuit has been awesome.  I have popped the circuit my iron is pulled into several times and my Millie has stayed on and continued to quilt.  :)

Thanks for all the great answers! Millie is getting her own circuit, but the power advance, any power required for the hydraulic lift and possibly any lighting will likely all come from that circuit (20amps). I actually am having a separate 20 amp circuit put in for my (medium size) compressor (which is used to fill tires etc)...how would you use a compressor for your quilting (I'm intrigued!).

One more Question...UPS= Uniterruptible Power Supply? Right? (Well because the United Parcel Service wouldn't fit... ;) )

If I am right what UPS do you use...or is it another term for a surge protector?

You are all just so helpful!

Some areas have a lot of power fluctuations so some put in an uninterruptible power supply. Ous is pretty stable, knocking on wood now, and I have mine on just a power strip, power advance, Millie, and Quilt Path. Hubby has a big air compressor in the garage that I fill a portable air tank from. That way we don't have to hear the air compressor in the house.

Shirley

Dave

We have a Tripp-Lite SU1000XLA  Uninterrupted Power Supply.  This unit was recommended by APQS when we took the maintenance class. This Tripp-Lite unit is expensive but it is pure sine wave which is needed to keep your Mllie stitching if the power drops out.  Apparently the cheaper modified sine wave units will not. The Tripp-Lite also maintains rock steady output all the time even when not on battery back up.  I know it works I have even pulled the plug while the Millie was stitching and it didn't skip a beat.

Nigel

Archived