Black quilts? Do you use black batting?

When quilting a quilt with a back backing do you usually use black batting or a particular brand of natural? I used hobbs 80/20 (not black) on the last black quilt and had some poking through on the back. I know it can happen if the batting in on backwards but I think it was layered correctly. Any hints with black quilts?

If the backing is black or navy and the quilt top does not have any white/cream fabrics I will suggest Quilters Dream Poly Black batting, that's my favorite and never have problems. It is so much nicer than any Hobbs batt which I have always found to poke thought.  The quality of the backing is also a factor in allowing batting to poke though too.

I try to use black batting (Hobbs 80/20) when I have a dark back, and especially when I have a plain red back.  I look at the top, and if the black won't show through, I'll use it.  I also like to use a dark bobbin thread if I can.  If not, the black still looks better than the light batting bearding.  I suppose if I gave up using cotton batting I wouldn't have to worry about bearding, but customers like cotton most ot the time.  Jim

Archived