Electric Quilt 7?

Anybody use this program and have opinions on it or competitors you could suggest I look at? I am fairly computer literate and I like the idea of this, but don't know how it works in "the real world" or if there are products like this that others prefer?

Thanks for your input!

I have EQ6, and just purchased the upgrade for EQ7 which I have not had time to install yet. It is a great program, as long as you make the commitment to learn how to use it. There are tutorials in the software, and many online resources as well. Their customer service personnel are very responsive. I don't use it as much as I "could" if I made the time to learn all of the features. What I have found it especially good for is taking a pattern I saw in a magazine, which may be in lap size as printed, and enlarging it to king/queen. Rather than guessing about how much fabric I need, the program will calculate yardage for me. It also lets me audition colors and placement of colors. You can scan your fabric in and actually see how your quilt will look with the chosen fabrics, which allows you to choose another fabric without cutting the actual fabric, if you are less than thrilled with the result.

I agree with the above comments. I love this SW and am facile with it in part because I took on-line classes at Quiltuniversity.com, which unfortunately is shutting down due to the founder passing away, but some teachers are moving to another provider so you might check website details to learn more. That said, I regularly discover new tricks and techniques. doyoueq.com is helpful.

I have had EQ for about 6 years and have upgraded to EQ7.   I especially enjoy paper piecing (except for the paper ripping part of it) and have designed and made several quilt tops.  I took a pattern out of a book and drafted it in EQ7 so that I could paper piece it rather than use the templates from the book.  Recently I purchased the EQ book that teaches applique drawing so that I can design applique for my quilts.  I believe it is an incredibly powerful software and I am barely touching the surface of its capabilities.

I know that EQ has been working on a Mac version for you Mac users wishing they could use the software and the last that I heard is the release would be after the first of the year.

I have EQ since I think 4 and each upgrade has been worth it, with 7 being the best.  I use it mostly to design or get color ideas.  It is always the first place I turn when designing and drafting.  Go through the tutorials.  there is so much you can do with EQ but you will find some of the stuff you would never use and other stuff you will use a ton.  It is well worth the money in my opinion.

I only have EQ4 and don't use it.  Doubt I even have the CD any more.

I'm just sorry that Quilt University is closing, and that the owner died.

Sympathies.

I just signed up for a class a couple weeks ago.. maybe...  didn't pay

yet, so probably not.

Anyway.. I forgot what I was going to say..  duhhhhhhh

Let me clarify, Quiltuniversity transitioned to Academy of Quilting, so you'll enjoy many of the same teachers under a new Dean, Ruth Blanchett, who will orchestrate the programs much as Carol did. I learned a lot from the classes I took, there are some great teachers. Enjoy your class, Rita!

Yep - EQ is awesome.  I've been using it since version 5.  I took a Quilt University class on it that really helped me learn how to use it, but the video tutorials that are right in the program now are really great at getting you going.  There's also an EQ blog that demos some of the features and alerts you to new downloads available for your fabric stash - particularly nice if you want to play with a quilt design in the fabrics you just bought.  Merry Christmas indeed!  Enjoy it.

Oh - blog address:  http://doyoueq.com/blog/

Let me clarify, Quiltuniversity transitioned to Academy of Quilting, so you'll enjoy many of the same teachers under a new Dean, Ruth Blanchett, who will orchestrate the programs much as Carol did. I learned a lot from the classes I took, there are some great teachers. Enjoy your class, Rita!

Hello Colette, new to forum, think I am now in the right area to chat.  What catches my eye is the name Ruth Blanchett.  I quilt with Jan Blanchett family to Ruth.  Both wonderful quilters.  Must add Jan lives in Motueka New Zealand.  Motueka is in the top of the South Island of New Zealand

Archived