baby t-shirt quilt

My daughter has given me a big bin of her most precious baby clothes from her daughter. The idea is that I am supposed to make a sort of t-shirt memory quilt.  I am a relative newbie, so I am a little overwhelmed.  My plan is to make 8 inch squares when the piece is big enough, 4 inch squares when the piece is small, and even some rectangles for some of the shirts that have a long name or something like that on them. I would distribute these throughout, and try to use some of the cuter details, such as a cute little pocket, on some of the pieces. It is mostly knits so I will iron on a fusible to stabilize the fabrics.  We will then go shopping for a border and backing that coordinates.  She does not want sashing.  I have stripes, prints, solids, lots of pink.  Does it sound like I am on the right track?  I am going to use my Accuquilt Go to sort of "fussy cut" out the pieces.  I have lots of different prints, I can do anything I want, and I have NO time limit.   Any advice or ideas welcome at this point!!  Thank you!

It sounds like you're on the right track! Great ideas to use all the special parts and pieces.

I would recommend a trial for using the Accuquilt for cutting the squares. No way to know how it will handle a knit with fusible on the back unless you do a sample. I wouldn't try the knit without the fusible.

Have fun and this will be so special!

I really like that idea it sounds adorable. I made a memory quilt for one of my friends using her Mother and Fathers clothes. She loves that quilt she told me it means alot to her. She lost her Mother 14 years ago and her Father a year ago. I used stabilizer on the knits that is a must everything will play so much better for you :)

Please post pictures when you have it finished. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Marti

Even if she does not want sashings, I would recommend a border around each item./square.    Using a neutral fabric to do this will make it look much prettier - not so cluttered, and will give you more control in making each block the size you need.

Carol

I made one of these about 3 years ago for a lady who had an adopted son who was graduating college.  She brought all his baby clothes and let me select what to use.  I found 16 and took off the buttons and snaps and used the entire piece by stitching it on to that HEAVY muslin (like you could build an aircraft from).  After it was quilted she re-attached the buttons.  It turned out so cute.  Some outfits I had to cut and remove the back because it was too thick.  I just turned under the edges and top stitched it.  She cried and cried.  In fact, she brought me his high school and college T-shirts to make another.  I ask her when she was going to give the quilts to her son and she said, "Oh, I'm not letting him have either of them.  They will stay at my house until I pass away and I'll leave them to him in my will!"  LOL

Thank you!   These are great ideas!  Someone else told me that sashing or bordering is important to stabilize it so I will tell my daughter about that, as Carol has suggested also.  Sylvia, that sounds like an adorable quilt and if you have a picture of it would you post it?  I am sure it would help me.  I have to cut the fabric up into squares because they are not tiny little items, most are more toddler size.  I am so glad I learned about the importance of sashing, because I want to do this right.  I will top stitch on any cute little details that I can.  I am getting excited to start.  I am sure my Accuquilt can handle the fabric, but I will do some tests first to make sure, as Linda has suggested.  It will probably take me a year to do this, because I can only sew and cut on my GOOD days, but my daughter doesn't care how long it takes.  So I will post when done.  Thanks again, everyone!!

I would love to post a pic of the quilt but as of now I cant.  My camera stick is lodged in the bowels of this laptop and I am afraid it is never to be seen nor heard of again.  I mean, it fit and I pushed it in and out of sight it went.  I'd dig it out but this Sony computer is only about 6 months old and I am afraid I'll fry it!  :blink:  :wacko:  :(  

Sylvia,

I did the same thing with my new computer and took it back to the store where I bought it!  After the funny looks, the lady took a long pair of tweezers and just pulled it out!  I am thinking your long sewing/embroidery tweezers might work.  Good luck.  Judi

Sylvia, it should not have gone in that far, unless the hole you put it in was too big.  I think I would do what Judi says, but it may be risky.  Was it a USB port?  Does it have the little USB symble by it?  Thanks anyway about the picture.  I am going to talk to my daughter on Sunday and I will tell her we need to sash or border each square.  

Archived