Off topic - Making your own ironing board

I've been sewing with my granddaughters and needed a secondary area for ironing.  I had a cabinet area that I made an ironing board to fit.

I purchased a very thin piece of plywood and had it cut to the exact measurements of the cabinet top.  I wrapped this board with batting and the material used to make potholdlers.  I then purchased some material to cover the board and serged a pillow case to fit the board leaving one end open.  On the end that I serged, I also put a handle like you see on some of the boards you purchase.  The seams for the pillowcase are on the right side - so you do see these seams when done.     I serged the open end of the pillowcase all the way around to stop any fraying and then slipped the board into the pillowcase.  Then you can either baste the end closed, or just leave it open so you can remove the pillowcase for washing later.   If you leave the end open, remember if you use the handle the board may fall out so I basted mine closed. Since it has a handle I can easily move this board anywhere I want.  It's great because it's oversized and fits my area specifically.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else needed a board specific to their area.  

I made a cutting/ironing station in a similar way. I used 1/2 in. Plywood covered with the batting, then a light cream colored canvas. I just rolled it tightly over the edges and stapled it down with a staple gun. I got 4 adjustable legs from IKEA so I can have it set high for cutting. I put a large cutting mat on top. When I need a large ironing surface, I just move the cutting mat. I have a couple of the plastic rolling carts with drawers underneath.

My original idea was to use 4 under the counter kitchen cabinets set 2 on each side, back to back with a 4X8 piece of plywood on top and locking casters under. This would have been great storage, but when we moved, my studio set-up didn't have a large enough space.

Himself made me a large ironing surface out of plywood, batting, silver cloth, the heat stuff,

and more batting.. then covered in a layer of the silver cloth.  He put 3 or 4 blocks on the back,

to fit snug to the narrowing end and firm against the back end to prevent slipping. 

I would suggest when doing this, that you put a couplemore layers of cotton batting in the middle of the

ironing board area, as it will tend to pack down and form a hollow.  I'm needing to open one side, add

2-3 layers and re staple the silver cloth on.

Rita

These are great ideas.  I truly need a bigger ironing surface, but my space for it is too small in my little sewing room.  I did make a little square ironing board to set next to my machine so if I am pressing pieces I don't have to get up and go to the big ironing board.  Covered it will batting and fabric, then glued a cover on the back to cover up the staples, so they would not scratch anything.  Pretty easy and very convenient.  Thanks for the good ideas!

Oh, and my husband put up a shelf for me to hold my bobbin winder. He drilled a hole in the shelf for the cord so I could just leave it up there on the wall and use it as necessary.  This got it out of my way on the sewing table.  I am afraid I don't have a lot of space in my little room.

Archived