Bobbin thread getting caught and breaking

My bobbin thread is getting caught between the black plastic part of the bobbin housing and the outer metal ring, and snaps. I'm posting a picture that is sure to be more helpful than my description, it shows where the thread gets pinched. I thought maybe my bobbin case had gone out of round because it has a lot of hours on it, but changing it did not help. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Carol

post-4438-0-74355000-1395520750_thumb.jpg

I cleaned and oiled the hook assembly again and checked the position of the hook retaining finger. Still getting the same breakage problem. After the thread breaks, I take out the bobbin and the thread is stuck in the position shown in the photo I posted. I have to turn the fly wheel by hand to release the caught thread so that I don't risk breaking off short pieces of thread in the hook assembly. Help?

Carol

Sounds like you have a burr, loosen retaining finger so you can spin the inside of the hook assembly. Run a piece of panty hose over the are to find the burr and sand off.

Rinse with WD40, blow it out recoil it and put the finger back.

Shirley.

Carol,

How old is your hook assembly? If it's seen a lot of hours as has your bobbin case, it may be time to replace it. When it's worn, then the bobbin basket race can allow the basket to wobble and catch thread. Our records show you have an Ultimate XX--is that right?

If you also have a needle positioner with it (your needle doesn't stop wherever it feels like it--it actually stops "up") then the mag collar may need slight adjustment. Here is info about that:

mag collar adjust - 07.pdf

Give us a call tomorrow and Amy can help!

I thought I should post a follow up note because the solution was just so darned easy. I had not mentioned the other symptom - my thread would catch and get stuck about half the time when using the needle up/down to bring up the bobbin thread before beginning to sew. I reviewed the information Dawn sent regarding adjusting the mag collar and looked at where the hook point (?) stopped after each needle up/down. Itlooked like I would either be adjusting the mag collar or buying a new hook assembly. I called Amy (longarm whisperer) and after talking it through for just a couple of minutes she recommended that I adjust the #8 screw to slow down the needle up/down so that it took a full second to go from up to down. I admit I was skeptical, but it worked!!! I am quilting very happily again with no bobbin thread breaks. Sorry for the long post but I am hoping that this might be helpful to someone .

Carol

Will this mag adjustment work on a 2006 Millenium?  The diagrams look different than my machine.  I can't find the small magnet on the plastic collar. Been having problems for months and was hoping this might be the solution.  Thanks!

Hi Dawn - I am having this same problem which brought me to the boards to see if anyone else had this issue.  I didn't take a picture of the issue because Carol's picture is exactly what is happening on my brand new Millenium.  The thread in the bobbin is getting caught in the exact same manner.  Not all the time but every once in a while that it is getting annoying.  I will be stitching along and I'll have a break and that is how the bobbin thread looks as its stuck exactly the same way. 

Please advise what I should do on a brand new millennium - not sure if the diagnosis is the same.

Thanks Dawn!

Warm Regards,

Patrice

Archived