Needle Bar replacement?

So today I broke my needle and then my set screw wouldn't screw into the needle bar. Didn't have any more set screws so I bought the 4-40 size screws at Home Depot and they don't work either. We can get the screw to work if there is no needle in, but what good is that?

Is replacing the needle bar something that a machine owner can handle, or does it have to be done by apqs?

I really don't want to ship my machine head from Guam to Iowa.  SOS

Hi Anne.....I am trying to think...haven't had my first cup of coffee yet.....all I can think is that maybe there is still part of the broken needle in there?  strange that screw will work if there is not no needle in it, but not when there is.....does the new needle go in all the way?  Hopefully others will have better ideas once they wake and get their coffee...Lin

I seem to think someone from apqs said to switch sides and that would work, and help rethread the bad side.

We switched sides because that let me work with my stronger hand.

I've been told, and think it was mentioned on here, that it is possible to replace the needle bar, and it just takes a bit of time.

If you choose that method, why not go with the new needle bar that has changeable feet?

Rita

Anne,

I just replaced one, and it depends on your comfort level.  I did not think it was hard to do.  If you have not done so already, you can loosen your current needle bar and rotate so that the hole on the other side is on the correct side for you.  And ask for a copy of the needle bar replace instructions from Service.  That way you can still us the machine and see how you feel about the replacement.  

Just a word of support.  I think that you'll be able to replace your needle bar on your own with the directions from Amy.  You might also think about getting some other spare parts while they are shipping your needle bar.  Nothing like being down, and waiting for a part.  Keep us posted.

Ann:  I wouldn't rush into replacing the needle bar until I was sure the old one was not salvageable.  I bought a socket (allen) head screw from Quilt Tech for my machine because the head of the set screw was easy to strip if you are careless with the screw driver, and the socket screw is easier to fit the wrench in .  I also rotated the needle bar so the set screw is facing the front of the machine rather than the side.  It's easier for me to see it there, making it easier to loosen and tighten.   I replaced my needle bar and bushings a while back because the bushings were worn.  It was a bit of a job.  Not too difficult, but still....  The needle bar wouldn't be as difficult. but if you can avoid it, well....  I think you'll need to remove the hook in order to install the new needle bar. After the needle bar is in place,  you'll need to replace the hook and re-time your machine.  I had a devil of a time getting the original hook off my machine.  It was bound by a burr.  Your's probably won't have a similar problem, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Anyway, if you can salvage your original needle bar, it could save you a lot of trouble. Good luck.  Jim

Anne It is a bit of a job to replace the needle bar in the post 2008 machines especially if you are given the wrong directions!  Helps to have a husband with a dremel. Doable but yes it does require retiming the machine.

The interchangeable feet are great p if purchasing a new needle bar go for the interchangeable foot one.  If you are going to make the effort you may as well go full hog!

Archived