Urgent request for hopping foot adjustment help

My machine was recently adjusted and is sewing like pure crap.  I have never had thread tension problems and now I have them in abundance.  If I have to rip another motif I will light my hair on fire and jump out the window.  I have found and fixed a few problems but the one I cannot seem to fix is the height of the hopping foot.  I have a 2004 Liberty.  My instructions say that there should be space for one credit card under the hopping foot when the needle is at the lowest position.  I have five credit cards under the foot right now, and the help document on the APQS webpage does not look like the side of my machine.  I have shined a light in the hole that is supposed to be used to adjust this, and I don't see a screw in there anywhere.  Before I have to open it all up, can someone tell me if the adjustment is in a different place on an older Liberty?  I am at about my wits end here.

Linda, the screw is there but it may be hard to see. Open up the left side panel to shed more light in that space.when the needle and the hopping foot are in their lowest position that screw should be accessible through the hole in the side of the head near the tensioner assembly. If you can't find it, call me. 509 671 1467. I am en route to another customer site here in eastern Washington and would be happy to brainstorm with you.

You can also only see the screw head when the needle is in the lowest position.  Get a good flashlight too, it's dark in there.  Then when you do get the screwdriver head into the hole, you can't see the screw head anymore.  It's a pain, but things will get better. 

Is "Jerry's" a hardware store, or ice cream?

Linda

I trust that was a typo.  One business card not credit card when at the lowest position.  Also check for up/down play on the hopping foot there should be almost none.  If there is contact Amy for parts the repair is easy.  One of my few complaints with our machines is the access holes not lining up with the screws.

Let us know how you make out..

Nigel

Argh - I've read varying instructions, last one said a credit card.  If it's business card (which I see it should be) this thing is really screwed up.  I've located the screw but it's torqued down so tight I can't loosen it.  My brother will stop by this afternoon to see if he can bust it loose for me.  

You want it to be a business card Linda.  We want the foot coming down to pinch and hold the fabric so it will complete the stitch, but not hitting the needle plate!  That screw is really tight as we don't want it coming loose while sewing!  You'll get it, you need a long screw driver to have more torque!  :)

Thanks all.  I did get the longer screw driver, but I still couldn't budge it.  Luckily for me, the best brother on the planet arrived at my house this afternoon and loosened the screw up for me.  He waited for me to adjust it, and then tightened it back down securely for me.  OMG the stitches are so much better and the knots are gone.  I think I'll still have to play with everything else to get it right, but at least I'm not ripping every five inches now.

I appreciate you all pitching in to help!

Don't feel bad...........I have lost so much of my hand strength to grip a jar lid, tools, etc.  I will be 67, but I've been this way for a LONG time.  Most of my friends are the same.  So when someone says "you are losing your grip", you can just say "yes I have!"   haha  They don't need to know you are talking about your hands  :D

Archived