Here's a question for you........

That's so cool! Does that mean we can issue tickets to offenders??? We could sentence offenders to 10 hours of community frogging :P

And, thanks Linda for the pic...makes me think that my sewing room might be nice with posters hung in it like when I was a kid! Although my tastes have changed a bit since then...

Linda!

That is hysterical !!!:P

Sign me up!!

Together we can stamp out bad borders for the good of man kind!

I vote for Fabio to be our leader/poster child!:D

Linda you crack me up! Is that the "I can't believe it's not butter!" actor from those TV commercials? Hey, and noticed (believe it or not) that he's wearing a Puffy Shirt! Is that the same puffy shirt from the Seinfeld show? ROTFLOL! That puffy shirt must be making its rounds through the Hollywood sets. Regardless, imagining that guy in a puffy shirt, nonetheless, and his pecs and six pack showing works for me! :P :P Not too many guys can get away with looking good in a puffy shirt, but Fabio does. ;)

post--13461897968988_thumb.jpg

Oh Bonnie - I think they still use him for some of the covers! Seriously now

if you could use him (or a likeness there of) when ever you wanted to - :D

wouldn't you?!!?;)

Ahh the pirate shirt - goes right with those novels too...... Captive Quilter!

Ladies I think we could write this story together and it would sell!! At least

to us!:D

I'm finally finished with my "McTearing My Hair Out" quilt and I'm too pooped to post a photo. Took it to guild the other night as a work in progress since it would be gone before next month's meeting. Would you believe someone had the nerve already to ask if I would do that same thing on their quilt!

--- yeah, when my hair grows back! :P

FABIO.........That's my Millennium's given name.....and he"s a real STUD-MUFFIN'....... 4 pea pickin' real....:D:D:D:D

Eva.....I'm so PROUD of you girl!!!!! I understand your struggle on this quilt.....that being said, I know it was a great learning experience for you as well as a big confidence builder in your quilting!!!!! EVA ROCKS!!!! I want to see your pictures.....send them or post them real soon, ok?????

Hugs, Love you too girl!....:D

Ramona Linda,

I'll join the "Border Patrol". I'm already a cop. I use PITA every day at work. Certain inmates are just PITA's. It's better than calling them names:P, and they ALL know what it means. It gets a lot of laughs, but it makes a point. They don't want "Deputy Mom" calling them PITA in front of their "peers" so they cool it. (Such power in a word!)

I recently gave instructions to a customer on how to measure and attach the borders to her quilt. She had taken a class and the instructor had properly taught the class how to apply borders. The problem was her explaination didn't make sense to the class somehow. When I explained how and why to measure, she said "Now I understand what the instructor meant. It makes sense to me now." Well, one step (customer) at a time, I guess.

And, Linda A., I like your idea about thinking of something else. Maybe I'll hang a picture! I used to hate pantos, but I forced myself to do some hard ones and the boredom went away. I like them when I've done a bunch of custom work and need a break. I don't have to think, just follow the line, follow the line...kinda hypnotic. OK! I snapped out of it. I'm not crazy about ruler work. Presently, I'm forcing myself to work on that.

Thats tooo funny...I am laughing so hard, a fun way to start my day. I have yet to do my first customer quilt, Freedom coming later this week, and it seems I have a lot to look forward to. Just love reading all you experienced LA'ers comments, problems, solutions. I am learning soooo much.

Thanks ....Monika:cool:

How about those hand embroidered/cross stitch squares that are 16-18" square and have "preprinted sewing and quilting lines printed on them". Usually the one doing the cross stitch has NEVER sewn a quilt - and thinks they just put fabric between them and they should match up, lol. - and they are never large enough so they add borders, multiple OR huge. We had one from a lady that we literally took apart and resewed! When she "thought it was beautiful" and had more squares done - we offered to do the sashing for her (for a price of course) so we didn't have to take another one apart.

I am new to all of this and have a question. Why are there so many complaints about the boarders? Are the quilts not coming squared correctly to you or what? I am curious. I am still waiting to order my Milli and have never sent out a quilt and am wondering what everyone is referring to. Thanks for your input.

First off let me say Welcome!! To Monika (moden) and also sew4fun05!

Glad you have joined the forum - there is SO much info. help and support

here!

To the question now - Yes - borders can be a real big pain in the butt! If

people do not measure well and sew straight - or some times they pull and

get them all out of wack. A quilt that is square and lays nice and flat - with

nice pressed seams - is the best! So many have wavy borders with extra

fabric in them...... hard not to get puckers and pleats in them when they

are that way.

You can click up on the left hand side of this screen on the "search" button

and look up pasts posts / topics that have already been discussed here.

Type in "borders" and you will see what I mean! Again - Welcome and hope

you have fun here!

I still know a LOT of quilters who cut really long strips of fabric, start sewing a the top of the quilt and cut the strip off when they reach the end. All 4 sides of the quilt are a different length. If you are really lucky, they get progressively longer in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction so when you are done quilting, the quilt has a bit of rotation to it. Not so much.

I have to admit, I was working on one the other day where the borders were so wavy I had to take tucks and hand stitch them closed. I was really going to give that quilter a piece of my mind, especially given that it was MY QUILT!!!!!:mad: I have no idea what I was doing!!! I don't know how they got that way but I was the one who did it.

I'm getting into doing charity quilts for my guild, and that's a good learning experience too.

Hi, Moogiequilter (love that name, btw...) ;)

Hey, I'm not sure if you know the correct way to measure borders so that the "Border Patrol" cops don't come a knockin' on your door and arrest you....or swack you upside the head with an acrylic ruler...LOL! But, to measure the length of the quilt (top to bottom), I take a long measuring tape (the big yellow one) and lay the quilt flat on the floor or on a bed and measure straight down the middle of the quilt from top to bottom. Use that measurement to cut your side border pieces, then ease these pieces in with pins before you stitch to prevent stretching. When you're ready to put the top and bottom borders on, measure the quilt straight across the middle from side to side and use that measurement for your top & bottom borders. Again, use pins to ease the fabric in and to prevent stretching. No more wonky borders.

Hey, I just thought of a great idea... Let's contact Fabio's agent and see if we can hire him to fly around and visit our houses to assist us. He can hold the tape measure while we measure the quilt top? Yah... OK, I'm thinking....I'm thinking.........Hmmmmm.... ;)

Hope that helps!

Hey Shana! That's what I did on that darned quilt which is why I have NO idea how the borders got so goofed up. The only thing I can figure is that I measured it the right way and somehow when I was cutting the borders to length got off by an inch.

On the other hand, if you are going to send Fabio out to my house to make sure I get it right, I can forget EVERYTHING I know about how to do borders!!!!

moogie

Archived