Here's a question for you........

I'd like to know everyone's LEAST favourite thing to do on the longarm. I just finished a giant quilt that needed re-mounting and turning so I could do a continuous border. I wish I never have to do that again!! It is MY least favourite thing to do!!! Ok, now I feel better :P, thanks, guys....

Sandra

Sandra,

Yeah, turning a quilt is a giant-size PITA. But the worst chore for me are wavy borders. Grrrrr. I am so amazed at the number of piecers who just do not understand the border process.

They spend money on fabric and pattern, lots of time in piecing and pressing and then surround it by a limp oversized border that is next to impossible to quilt without a pucker. :mad: :mad:

Hey Linda,

How about if we form a *BORDER PATROL* to eliminate those borders with "issues"?:P

I just finished a quilt with 16" borders!! SCARY!!!

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

Sandra,

Yeah, turning a quilt is a giant-size PITA. But the worst chore for me are wavy borders. Grrrrr. I am so amazed at the number of piecers who just do not understand the border process.

They spend money on fabric and pattern, lots of time in piecing and pressing and then surround it by a limp oversized border that is next to impossible to quilt without a pucker. :mad: :mad:

I agree with all of the above, but my vote is sloppy piecing....ya all have had at least one in your life that the customer just didn't get all the seams 1/4 inch and you find the hole with the foot.....WELL, I think I have a sign on my head that says "Bonnie will take those quilts", because I have had way more than my share of them. One was so bad I spend more time digging my foot out from the mess than I did quilt. That's my pet peeve.

I have to go with borders too...and I agree with the "Border Patrol" idea!! My LQS was looking for ideas of mini workshops to conduct on Saturday's for customers...I suggested borders...then they asked it I wanted to teach it..uh no!! I just give suggestions don't teach classes!!

Mary Beth

Teaching a class is a good way to get new customers...especially if it is a mini workshop...there is very little prep time. Who knows...you may be saving yourself from some poorly pieced borders:P

Think my least favorite is SID because if I am not in the ditch it is not my customers problem it is mine. The borders I work with as best as I can...if they aren't flat I help the customer understand how to correct the problem so her quilt will look even better the next time.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I've only been quilting a year, but right now I don't care for ruler work or cross-hatching. I love the look, but it just takes me too long. I'm doing a piano key border now and it took me 2 hrs just to do the top and down the sides about 10". I think I'm just way too slow on all this. I know my speed will increase with practice and experience and I will probably find something else I dislike even more -- like wavy borders!!!

LMAO Linda..........hubbie wondered what was so funny....

After esplaning tu him, it laughed too...(lucy you have some esplaning to do)...

Originally posted by (name removed)

Hey Linda,

How about if we form a *BORDER PATROL* to eliminate those borders with "issues"?:P

I just finished a quilt with 16" borders!! SCARY!!!

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

Sandra,

I had a quilt this week where the customer had accidentally cut into the border a few times while cutting it out. One spot had a slice 3 inches into the border from the raw edge. I asked her about it and she said, "Yeah, I know, but I thought you could just quilt over it and it'd be ok. Okay? I even tried putting a piece of interfacing behind it to hold it together but the fabric was poor quality, stiff and unwashed and the interfacing wouldn't even stick to it. Not my idea of a fun quilt to do.

This thread is just too funny and coincidental. I've been longarming for over five years now and just happen to have the WORST quilt on the frame right now that I've ever seen.

The piecer is a little old (grumpy) lady that is as old as dirt and I've decided that she just can't see anymore. I have to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's been a bane on my existence for a while now. One of the quilts she brought me I wouldn't have touched with a 10' pole and told her I thought she ought to have it hand quilted. It had been hand pieced so I could get away with it.

When she brought this one in she asked me, "Do you remember me? I was the one who brought you the quilt you 'couldn't' quilt?"

Well.......I really wish I was a bigger person and could let things like that go, but...........not me. I had to remind her gently that I 'wouldn't' quilt it.

Anyway, this thing on the frame now is a HUGE mess...split seams, puckering everywhere, very poor border application. I spent over 4 hours fixing the seams, straightening the seams and pressing it. You can only do so much and I'll do my best for her. She may not like what it costs her, though. Maybe she'll decide I'm too expensive. That's my hope anyway.

This is to getting it off the frame and moving on to something more enjoyable.

Vicki

This is interesting ... ... I would have to say also the borders with all of that

extra fabric! I do NOT like to have to fix a quilt, especially once I have

started it. As for the holes, or bad seams, I always have a few safety pins

on my apron, and I just attach one to the quilt and leave it there for them

to fix when I give it back to them. I just sew around it if I can.

The next big pain would be back backings - this should be such a no-brainer

with all of the backing fabrics out there, but some people still use crap - or

worse yet - old - used sheets!!!! grrr......:mad:

Kennan,

I wouldn?t want to show the quilt & hurt feelings, (you never know who is reading the forum!;) ) I did curling Amish feathers.

But it really helped if I closed my eyes & envisioned a pleasant thought, like this~~~~:P

Originally posted by kennan100

snicker...trashing the quilters.....snicker!

So, Linda, if no one else is gong to ask then I'll just have to! What did you do with those 16" borders? (besides stare at them in horror!)

Archived