Frustrating magna glides!

So here I am listening to Christmas music, humming along quilting away. happy happy happy happy. Excellent tension, fabulous stitches: my Lucey doesn't let me down! Then at least once every row the darn bobbin thread breaks and I have to go back and start again. I have checked the bobbin case, removed the back spring and before starting I oiled everything and warmed Lucey up. This is really frustrating. I never had this problem with so fine bobbins. Anyone else having this issue?

How tight do you have your tension on the bobbin set? I set my bobbin using a bobbin wound with bottom line, then replace it with the Magna Glide bobbins. I almost never have bobbin thread breaks. It is possible that your top tension is set too tight, especially if you have a big difference in the weight of the tread on top and the weight of the bobbin thread. If your needle depth is not correct, it can cause a bunch of problems with breaking threads, both top and bottom. Does it happen at a specific point in your pattern, such as when you abruptly change direction, or when you go from right to left, for instance...because that can be timing. Check under the bobbin thing where the thread slides in...whatever that is....to make sure there is no lint. You may just have your tension a tad bit high on top. Although the stitches look good, it could be causing just a bit too much stress on the fine bobbin thread. A tiny tweak can solve the issue without changing the look of the stitches at all.

Are you using the same bobbin case as you used with Sew Fine? If so, you will likely have to adjust the tension. Remember, the magnet adds some tension. I keep a bobbin case for Magna Glide Delights; another one for the Magna Glide Classics, which is a finer thread and one for my Super Bob's. Bobbin cases are cheap; I highly recommend you invest in a couple extras. Check out the weight of your threads; the lower the number the thicker the thread. I think Delights are a 40wt while Classics are a 60 wt. I am not sure what weight of Sew Fine you are using' there are several. I only use pre-wounds and love them all.

Opposite for me.  I had nothing but trouble with SuperBobs, but I adore my Magna Glides.  I've not wound a bobbin since I used my first Magna Glide in early 2008.  I use nothing else in my machine and my tension is so good, no matter what top thread I use.  I hope you get it sorted out, Nancy Jo.  So good to see you here again!

Archived