Difficult Quilting Customer & Digitizing Their Design?

Jess

Any thoughts on how to handle designs by quilting clients that you know would be best if digitized & run on compuquilter, but you don't necessarily think that that particular design would be especially marketable & your not sure you want to get into that with the client to begin with?

Here's the scoop... I have a client (the only 1 that does this to me) that consistently sends me quilts that 1)She wants specific pantograph type quilting on, but then puts a weird twist in it like I want a pantograph (so I price it that way) then She sends me the instructions that say the pantograph should be on a diagonal & it's something totally complicated. Or for example on this latest quilt it is a pantogrpaph type border that is an elaborate horse drawn wagon 12" high & about 24" repeat that She has drawn over & over on tracing paper & sent with the quilt - It would look so much better digitized, but She never wants to pay what the regular charges are for the type of quilting that She wants.

When I emailed Her about it & the prospect of digitizing the design because it would actually save time compared to manually stitching out the design through the papers. I gave Her our normal rates when we digitize & what the difference in quilting price would be, showing it would actually be less for me to digitize the pattern & then quilt it on CQ then do it manually & She still questions the pricing. I would too based on what She is thinking is involved on Her quilt. She's saying that "She has done most of the work for me already by making all the tracings & that the interior of the quilt is just a star pantograph & some outlining & then stars." The interior has the piecing making a saying for their local school & She wants a star pantograph style quilt around it then the saying stitched 1/4" away from the edges & more star panto inside that. We're talking 80x90".

I am pondering the idea of digitizing the design & giving Her the price break, just so I don't have to fiddle around on this border (the wagons) freehand & I've asked if the design was Her's. It is. She would also consider some kind of arrangement with us to sell the design. The problem is that She's kind of hard to deal with just on Her quilts (just not a good match between Her personality & mine - nobodies to blame, just the way it is), I'm not sure that I want to invite Her into a more involved business relationship.

I guess one of the problems that I have is purely my own...I have a hard time being told precisely what is to be done on a quilt & it ends up being something that I totally disagree with because it just doesn't work for the quilt - but I know that's just my own opinion that it doesn't work. She does nice piecing, but totally chinces out on the quilting, basically bringing the whole quilt down in my opinion. This is the only client that I have that is like this (whew!), but we butt heads all the time on quilting. I have no idea why She keeps sending quilts 1/2 way acrossed the country when we don't see eye to eye....ever!:o I don't think that She is doing it purposefully. I just think that She doesn't realize exactly what's involved in some of the things that She's asking sometimes.

But anyway...I need suggestions on digitizing a design for this client - yes or no & how the heck do I handle this when I'd just as soon She find someone else to quilt for Her ( I know that sounds bad, I just think She'd be alot happier with someone who likes to be told exactly what to do - that's just not me.) Actually, what I think is that She needs to buy Her own longarm & quilt Her own quilts.

Any suggestions?

:(

Hi Jess

Sounds like this client is more trouble than she's worth, having said that it has to be your decision, what will make you happy Jess??. I personally would pass her to another quilter closer to her location , if you want her to go elsewhere let her know that you are unable to accommodate her requests.

If digitizing is easier and quicker for you and you want the challenge then do it go for it, life is to short to be aggrivated by precious clients.

I''m sorry I don't pussy foot arround, it gets up my nose when clients are ignorant to the talent it takes to quilt/digitize and the value it adds to the quilts. OK I'm off my soapbox:D

Jess sounds like your trying to give more than you should. Your customer sounds like a PAIN in the Bu__.

Try to keep in mind that you provide a very special service and that YOU set those limits as to what you are willing to do and HOW much $$$ is will cost. You run the SHOW and not the customers. You work for youself!!!!!

Offering specialty type digitzing is certainly a wonderful service to offer but again you decide what that cost should be and and HOW it is executed. Not your customers. Sometimes they want something that doesn't work and they have NO idea how and if it can be executed.

Alot of quilters get cheap when it get time to have their quilts finished. Somewhere in this Forum someone told me "It isn't your Job to make their hobby affordable".

What ever you do just be open and honest with your customer on your limitations and if she doesn't like it someone else can put up with her. You can send her to another quilter. (not me lolol) I feel for you!!!!! Some things aren't worth the $$$$$ to put up with. I think your right she might need to get her a Machine for herself. lolol

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I agree with Grammie Tammie...

I don't think I would go futher in a business relationship...it sounds like trouble.

You have enough clients that you probably don't need her business...just let her know in a kind way that maybe finding another person to quilt for her locally would be in her best interest. But like Tammie says....please don't send her my way.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Jess,

I don't think it is a good idea that she is involved in the design process and whether you trace it by hand or digitize it.

Pick a price and do it the way you would like to do it.

I know it is hard when you are trying to explain different options and prices and they don't get it nor appreciate that you are being extra considerate offering more than one option.

From this, it might help you in the future for determining the pricing for this kind of quirky circumstance.

I would not get into a situation of her sharing in the digitizing of this design, for any credit or future use and consider it used for her quilt only. It sounds like it would be more aggravation than it is worth.

Good luck

I don't CQ, but it sounds like if you don't stand up to her now, you will get the same type thing from her every time.

I just try to be polite and smile, and say something like "What you talking about is a very custom application, and because of the time involved, I will charge XXX. If that's too much, I can make another suggestion to able to do it for XXX, OR you are welcome to pick it up and I will completely understand.

And you are right, int hat she doesn't understand what's involved, so it's up to you to fill her in.

Remeber, you are the one with the machine-YOU are in the drivers seat!!!

GO GIRL!!!!

HI Jessica,

I agree with the others about the price setting. That is your job, not your client's. If she is price shopping, she should take the time to shop around and find the price she wants. I've turned away a few customers who felt the price should be lower. My guess is she is completely satisfied with your work and doesn't want to switch to another quilter.

Regarding the design choice, I always tell a customer if I feel something they want will not work with their quilt. I explain why and then make other suggestions. Depending on how "off" they are on their idea, I then decide if I will proceed with their choices. We are supposed to be the professionals and our experience has taught us what works and what doesn't. Anybody in the design business, whether it be houses, furniture or quilts knows that there are some things that are just not practical or pleasing to the eye. One of my first customers told me she was not just paying me for putting in the stitches, she was paying me to know what would look best on her quilts. She was right.

Kay

I think you said it in your last paragraph,

But anyway...I need suggestions on digitizing a design for this client - yes or no & how the heck do I handle this when I'd just as soon She find someone else to quilt for Her ( I know that sounds bad, I just think She'd be alot happier with someone who likes to be told exactly what to do - that's just not me.)

it's not you. Or indeed I suspect most quilters. I would very politely tell her this is a lot of work and you are not prepared to do it the way she wants. I see no reason not to say you don't feel you are the best quilter for her to be working with and that she might be happier with someone else.

If she insists on you doing it, it is a custom job and I would charge accordingly.

Good luck

Ferrret

I agree with what everyone else has said. I don't know why customers think that the quilting process should be the "cheap" part of the quilt, just because they have spent good $$ on the fabric and want to keep the cost of the quilt down. I think we have to stand our ground, it is "our business" and we need to let them know that.

Janet

Originally posted by Grammie

Alot of quilters get cheap when it get time to have their quilts finished. Somewhere in this Forum someone told me "It isn't your Job to make their hobby affordable".

I love Grammie Tammie's answer. I may adopt that as my slogan, print it on a banner and hang it in my studio! I never had that attitude when I was paying people to quilt my quilt. I was always in awe of the quilter because I know how difficult it is to quilt, having done several (badly) on my DSM. But in my guild, I would say that more women by far want their quilting done on the cheap, and still have the gall to complain about the quality. After learning that I had bought a longarm machine, one woman in my guild said, "We'll have to get you before you get too expensive," then started going off on the other longarm quilter in our guild, complaining about the quality of her work and her prices--which are very reasonable, still. I just stared back with my frozen smile and thought, I'm already too expensive for you and I don't even know how to use my machine yet! Don't think I will be quilting for her!

Cathey,

Too bad we can't always say what we are thinking...you are right the woman in your quild just wants more for less $$. Piecers don't really understand the work involved...even if they did...they probably would still look for the cheapest price.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Hi Jessica, this is your business and you make the decisions as to policies and pricing. Reading what you stated, this client wants to control you and your business.

My personal feelings are if you feel it would be better to digitize this design and you want to go through all the steps it will take, then do it and charge accordingly. I believe in doing the quilting in the best possible way for you - either by the CQ or freehand. It is not really up to the client to make the decision as to how you do the quilting. The client should be interested in the finished product - not how you created the finished product.

With all this said, if this were my client I would tell her that we were not a good fit (not compatible) and I think she should find another quilter. Sometimes saying this is the best thing we can do for our businesses. Not everyone is our client and once we realize this, a huge weight is lifted off our shoulders.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hey Jess,

You got some awesome advice here already, so I'll just make a comment...

Maybe this client sends her quilts to you half way across the country because of she is "high maintenance" and she's screwed up and ruined all of her previous quilting business relationships with other longarmers, half way across the country, and now, lucky you, happen to be next on the list. LOL! ;)

Good luck with this person. Maybe you need to point west (or east) depending on where she's from, and tell her to move on (in a nice way, of course).

Seriously though, it sounds to me like she just does not understand what you are trying to say (she's uneducated). I know that corresponding via email doesn't always work...you gotta talk to the person on the phone. So, perhaps you can initiate a phone call. Allow her to explain her perspective and what she wants. Then, after she's convinced that you completely "understand" her point of view, she will relax and feel more comfortable, knowing that you understand her wants. That's when you pounce on the moment and take the opportunity to "educate" her on your point of view, the digitizing, pricing, etc. She will listen to you and soak in your recommendations, but only after she knows you understand what she wants (even if what she wants is not feasible). Just tell her how it is, so she understands where you're coming from, too.

Seek to understand, then be understood.

Anyway, I hope things get better for you, Jess. You do beautiful work (I've checked your web site a few times!) :)

Keep us posted on what happens. Have a great day.

Hi Jess,

I think you nailed it when you said that this customer is a candidate for her own longarm. She seems to have a clear vision of what she wants and had devised her methodology on how that vision is to be achieved. On top of that, she wants to determine the price. It's her vision and she can have it be whatever she wants.

The problem occurs in turning visions into reality. If her visions all demand custom solutions, then she should expect custom charges. If she wants the designs sewn through paper, there is probably a longarm quilter who would be happy to do that for her. After all, she did all the work:P:P:P, didn't she?

I can't imagine what you'd lose by allowing her the opportunity to having her visions fulfilled by someone else. I personally can't conceive of sending a quilt to someone of your capability and telling you not only what I want but also how I want you to do it (not to mention, how you should price your work). You don't want to hold this woman and her vision back. Set her free.

Hi Jess,

Since the customer is so talented in drawing. I'd suggest to her to purchase a copy of AutoSketch and draw out her designs. I don't know if it would be possible to also have her purchase just the CQ conversion part of Stan's software and then have her do the conversion. After that learning process, I think she'd willingly pay for your "inexpensive" charge for digitizing.

Obviously this customer is always going to be a problem. I think I'd politely tell her that this is a business I run and enjoy. I love to share my art with quilters, however, I also cannot give my time away. I'd stick to what I will do for the price she's willing to pay, her choice or leave it. Tough love, even with children, is difficult.

Hi Jessica,

Many others have given great advice here. I especially like the comment from Grammie Tammie about us not being responsible for making the piecer?s hobby affordable, and I think Sue is right on with her comment that this customer is trying to control you and your business practices. I would add ? you are an artist in your own right, a professional quilter and professional digitizer. This customer is routinely asking you for custom work. I would tell her something like, ?when you choose to work with me, I will use my experience and artistic sense to honestly tell you if I feel that a different direction with the quilting would be better for your project. It?s important in my relationships with my customers that they understand this and trust my judgement.? Jess, if you hold yourself back from saying something like this, you won?t shift the ?control? factor that Sue is saying the customer is trying to put on your relationship, and you will continue to second guess yourself.

As I read your post, I feel you are second guessing both your formal training in art and the fact that you have a valuable combination of skills to offer your customers. Professional embroidery digitizers charge around $75.00 an hour for their digitizing skills. I would be professional and honest with this customer and tell her that her quilting projects routinely fit the category of custom work. You would be happy to work with her . . . . . (then state YOUR wishes ? let her know that you want to be proud of the work you put your name to). Don?t function out of scarcity ? tell her your opinion is that it would be best to digitize the designs for her current project, then quote her a separate price for the professional digitizing/design layout and quilting services. Don?t be afraid to honestly tell her that you just wouldn?t feel right about placing quilting designs on a quilt if you felt it wasn?t right for the quilt. It?s OK for longarm quilters to feel it?s part of their responsibility to the customer to let them know if the quilting designs will not work well with the quilt top. What?s the worst that can happen? . . . . she says she can?t work with how you?ve decided to define yourself and your business practices? . . Oh well.

So often we let others cause us to question ourselves. I too am guilty of questioning my worth at times, so I?m just trying to support you now and say, ?don?t do that?. Jessica, you are a talented educator, formally trained artist, proficient in complicated computer software programs, a professional embroidery and quilting digitizer, a leader in the field of art quilts, using your own hand dyed fabrics, and a longarm quilter. You don?t have to compromise who you are for any customer. All the best to you ? please keep us all posted.

Respectfully,

Suzanne Moreno, Digitizing Instructor

cqdigi@charter.net

If it is cheaper for you to digitize the design and quilt it that way, then that's what I would do. I would charge her what she's agreed to pay.

If she's really bent about not having the irregularities involved with pantographing, then you haven't lost much if she leaves you. You could then refund the difference between the digitizing and the pantographing as a goodbye present.

Hi Jessica - I agree with those who already answered. When I have a customer like that I point out that a panto is edge to edge only. When you want a border quilted seperate, the price goes up considerably. This is due to the fact that the quilt has to be taken off the machine and re-installed. As for her hand drawn pattern, the price for the quilting is the same as one you already have unless the pattern she provide is not useable by you the quilter. (a problem with continuous lines, etc.) Of course if you have to digitize a pattern for her, it's an extra $35.00 per pattern.) Now, if she wants the design diagonal, that is certainly even more money. For exp. Diagonal quilting jumps the price to say 30.00 sq. yd. (lots of work for that). Additional borders $10.00 each. I wouldn't argue with her, just quote her price according to what she wants. If she doesn't like the price, she can use another quilter. The prices I gave are just examples. Be clear that extra attention has a price not only for her but for everyone. Just like the expediated quilts. I find as soon as I say $35.00 extra for putting them to the top of the list, they suddenly don't need it that quickly. :mad: This kind of thing also gets my goat.

Ok I have to jump in on this one, lol

I would do this; tell her exactly what you are willing to do period. If it is to digitize the artwork she sent(that is if this is her original design that is) have her sign a waiver that gives up her rights to this design then it becomes your design and then charge her the same price that you would anyone else else for the same thing.

Basically since you are going to the extra trouble and work of digitizing this design you should be able to sell it or use it for your other clients which may like it. When the client signs the waiver giving up her rights to the design then there will be no future business relationship with this customer with this design. If she refuse to sign the waiver than tell her you can not/ do not do the service she is requesting you to do.

This is your business, not hers and she should not be able to bully you into anything such as pricing, your business practices or anything else.

Let us know what happens.

Joann

Thank you everyone for all the replies. This is a real re-awakening to what I really need to do about this client. I have suggested that She go somewhere else but She likes what I do, probably partly because we've won a few ribbons together. she is very talented & really needs to do Her own quilting, or possibly start thinking of it as a business Herself since She is entering & placing at quilt shows. If I could persuade Her to look at the quilting portion of Her quilts as an investment in Her "business" of quilting then perhaps a more realistic quilting price would not give Her such sticker shock.

I will have to do something about this soon as She has asked about Her quilt recently.

I am going to set the price, thanks to all of your encouragement. I know that I could do it for a more reasonable price, but I'm not going to give in on this one. I am going to set the price for the way that I feel that the quilting would be done in the best way possible & accentuate the quilt. If She decides that that is just too much I will box up the quilt & send it back to Her.

I like Her very much & have enjoyed doing many of the quilts in the past, but have had equally as many that I just thought that what she outlined & wanted executed was really wrong for the the quilt & dang near standing on my head to accomplish. So I really need for Her to understand that 1) quilting prices have changed over the last 5 years & I have gained alot of experience & also that perhaps our personalities are way too much alike, so it's not a good fit for quilter & piecer. In other words we both have our own ideas about how a quilt should be done & don't want to give on it. However, I certainly wouldn't hym & ha about what my quilting cost if I wanted it a specific way. I would accept that if it was going to be exactly what I wanted then it was going to cost whatever it costs.

Thanks again everyone.

Archived