Thimbleberries Vintage Stitches

Hi Linda,

I just finished quilting one with all the embroidery in the center blocks. My customer is a new quilter, so I think she was pretty open to my suggestions, which were to do a feather meander all over the main body of the quilt, but I SID around the embroidered blocks. I think I did SID on the first border as well, and then did a feather in the second border. I've already given it back to the customer, but if you need it, I'm sure I could get a picture of it to post.

Beth

Beth, you really should take pics pf every quilt. The only ones I pass on a pic are the ones that I have done the same panto or A/O many times.

Check out Webshots or one of the others (Photobucket, etc) to store and show! I searched webshots for the quilt, but only found one labeled as such, and its not quilted... This one had the blocks colored with crayons, pretty cool.

Hi Linda,

I also am in the process of quilting the Thimbleberries 2006 Vintage Stitches quilt.

My problem is that I did most of the blocks with SID but didn't know what to do with the center and thought I'd be able to think of something, but the SID puckered the center block, so now it makes it even more difficult. I'd appreciate hearing some suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Emily

My SIL just had her's quilted. It was a monster! She used all the embroidered blocks on front. I believe they just used a panto. I know it went over the embroidery and didn't look bad. She sent me pics, but I didn't save them, but if you want I can get her to send them again. Let me know! I always love to show a quilt!

I agree with the idea that a photo is a great resource. My memory does not always remember what treatment or pattern I did on a customer's quilt. I usually make notes about their ideas, likes, dislikes on the intake sheet for that customer. But you know what they say "a picture is worth...."

When I first started my business (6 months ago), I provided my customers with a photo and the details about their quilt. It took about 30 minutes to create and print this info sheet. I spelled out which pattern/panto including the designer's name, border treatment used, thread manufacturer, type & color and the batting name & loft that I used.

I did this in case they planned to put it in a show. I wanted the customer to have all the info necessary to fill out their quilt show entry form.

Then we had a quilt show and some of the quilts I had quilted were there. None of the quilt cards pinned next to the quilts had any of the pattern, designer or thread info on it. Some didn't even name me as the quilter. :( I decided that I could put that 30 minutes to better use.:D

Take photos, including close-ups. It's so easy with these digital cameras.

I run a club and have quilted several of these. I did the rainbow fan panto on afew, meandered one and custom on another. You couldn't see the stitshing on the custom because it is such a busy quilt. I think the panto was the best choice as it made the quilt look like it was "vintage"

Sorry I am a naughty one who doesn't take enough pics so I don't have any to share.

Diane

Okay, so where do I store all these photos? I'm not a computer person, and the idea of learning something new is overwhelming to me. I guess I could do the old fashioned print photos, and then throw them into a cheap album. I do scrapbooking with my own photos, but strangely, even since my girl arrived, I never want to work on some other hobby! I'll start taking pictures, thanks for the input.

Beth

Linda - I have done two of these - all SID and custom. I did take photos of

each and every block on one, and an overall on the other. The ladies I did

these for did NOT want any stitching over their hand work. They turned out

great and looked really good. One lady callled me today and said that she

ended up putting a scalloped edge on hers. I am going to see it on Sat.

I am off to see if I can find the photos.... I am so NOT organized!! sorry....

post--13461897981151_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find the overall photo - but I did just meander in the outer border

and the diamond-like "X" in the sashing. I used black in the black and a

nice golden brown in the tumbling block fabric. I did not stitch in the narrow

sashing around the blocks at all - just SID.

I've done two vintage quilts and working on the third. The first two were not embroideried so I just did medium stippling on one and loop meandering on the second. Now the third one is mine and I embroderied the centers. So I'm just doning SID through out the quilt and doing small stippling around the center design, which makes the design pop. Looks good so far.

Patty

Archived