Bias question turned hilarious!

Does it make any difference whether I cut the big filler triangles with the long edge on the bias? I'm setting my blocks on point, you know, and have these triangles of background for the sides to make a rectangle out of the thing, and I'm going to iron on applique fabric pictures. I've cut the triangles already in the simple way, which puts the long edge on the bias, before I realized what I was doing. I've always heard that's a bad idea because the edge needs to be strong. But will it matter if I'm putting a border around it anyway, so it's not really the final edge? Do I have to re-cut them on the straight o' grain, or can I just go with them as is, seeing they'll have the real border added?

You're so funny, Linda!

Patty, if you want to go ahead, I'd do what Linda suggested but I'd also add that when you put your borders on, make sure and measure and pin...don't just sew,sew,sew it on or you'll have a disaster. I think if it wasn't too much of a waste of fabric and time, I might re-cut some more side triangles.

Let us know how you make out;)

Patch....you can also spray starch it heavily as well....that will also keep things from stretching to much. The stay-stitch is a great idea, but don't make your stitches to small as they will draw up your fabric and you will be short when you go to pin the pieces together.

Hi, Patty!

OK, let me see if I understand your question: You have cut out some setting blocks that will go along the outside edges of your quilt (these are triangles) and if I understand correctly, you are asking if you can put the bias edge of the triangle so that it lays along the outside edges of the quilt top? Correct? If that is the case then, No, this is not a good thing to do (learned this from a quilt teacher) she said that your outside edges of your blocks should all have a straight of grain so they lay flat and don't distort or stretch. What I was taught to do setting triangles is to cut one large square and then cut it twice on the diagonal to have four smaller triangles. The longer edges of each triangle are on the grain and these longer edges go on the outside edge of the quilt top. I hope I made sense with my explanation. I've set many quilts on point and used this method without problems. Hope all is going well with you!!! :)

But, I know there are many ways to skin a cat, and if you are sewing an outside border on the quilt, then maybe this is OK, but be very very careful not to pull or stretch the blocks because you will have wonky borders. ;) The advice about spray starching and then stay stitching are a good idea (starch first then stitch, and use lots and lots of pins when putting on the border, without pulling) Have fun!

You can also cut large squares then cut them in to 1/4 sq triangles. There is a formula to figure out the size of the squares. There is also a chart in a very old quilting book so you don't have to do the math. When I go up to my sewing room I will look up the formula and name of the book. I will also look to see if it is in one of my newer books. The size of the square will depend on whether or not you want to float the quilt away from the borders

These triangles are often refered to as "set-in triangles". And yes, like all the stuff on the web that you found...the outside edge needs to be on the straight of grain to prevent stretching.

I do teach beginning quilting and this is something we talk about.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, Va:)

Thanks! I did find that formula and a chart online, but I appreciate all your helpful hints and information. Can't WAIT to be finished with this one! Wasn't supposed to be this hard. But it ought to be gorgeous when I'm done (not to blow my own horn, but celebrating the fabrics).

Given a choice I would avoid the bias on the outside edges.

I would also not stay stitch with the machine and that is going to actually streach it as well. I would rather do that by hand as a running stitch with largish stitches and measure and put your knot to tie it off.

I never use starch (ok there are some things I have used it for like the Caryl Breyer Fallert class I took to do her method) as it attracts insects, and if your iron is too hot you can scortch your fabric easier.

Of course it is your quilt and you can do it any way that you like but that is how I would do it if it were mine :)

I am a quilt teacher and longarmer and can tell you that straight grain is always best. However, sometime it isn't possible. Also in a past life I was a math teacher. If you have cut these large triangles with a bias edge on the long side (hypotenuse) you need to stabilize it either with starch, stay-stitching, or by sewing a straight grain piece to it. Measuring is really really a good idea but what should it measure? The long side of your triangle should measure 1.414 (the square root of 2) times the short side. Round off that calculation to the nearest 1/4" and you should be OK. The opposite of this is calculating how big a square to cut into fourths to give you triangles with straight grain on the long side. If you know the finished length of the long side, add 7/8" and that is the size of the square to cut. If you only know the length of the short side (should be the same as the blocks you are setting on the diagonal), use the finished size plus the 1/2" for seam allowances and multiply by 1.414 and that will give you the size of the square to cut.

Mary Beth....I'm so giggling here....I too didn't do well in math.....so I decided to marry the next best thing....a math wiz.

Gene just rolls his eyes at me when I have a piece of fabric in one hand a calculator in the other and a piece of paper. Its just so funny....he has gotten that he doesn't even ask anymore he just looks at me and asks what shape I need and what hole I'm trying to fill.

Aren't they great....sure beats having to revisit my math books....however, IF I had known what I would be when I grew up, I MIGHT have paid a bit more attention in geometry class instead of dreaming about my next Saturday night date.

Originally posted by Bonnie

Gene just rolls his eyes at me when I have a piece of fabric in one hand a calculator in the other and a piece of paper. Its just so funny....he has gotten that he doesn't even ask anymore he just looks at me and asks what shape I need and what hole I'm trying to fill.

ROTFLOL! Bonnie, my DH is one of those super smart guys, too. I am a big dummy when it comes numbers and end up staring like a deer-in-the-headlights...I don't know why! But if Andre ever asked "what shape I needed and what hole I was trying to fill." I'd make a fist with my hand and tell him "What if I wanted fill your hole with this shape?" :D;)

Whew, you tell him Shana.

We were driving down the highway and my DH started talking about math and numbers and terrible things, just out of the blue. I looked at him and said, "What are you talking about??" He said, "I'm trying to help you understand math!" (Where the heck did that come from?) He thought because we were on this trip and I was quiet that I needed something to do, I guess. So then he said, "Well, you have to think about something. So, what are you thinking about?" I said, "Nothing!" I was thinking about nothing, my head was a complete blank. I do that all the time. He can't understand that. It feels perfectly normal to me.

"Nothing!" I was thinking about nothing, my head was a complete blank. I do that all the time. He can't understand that. It feels perfectly normal to me.

LOL.....Gene teases me when I do this: "What are the voices in your head asleep again ?"

Then he grabs my head and shakes me at the same time yelling "Wake Up". Now I know why I'm so dingy...

Shana....Gene has told me that I can only kill him once and that I should save up for a great reason for doing such. I'm not sure after almost 33 years if I shouldn't have killed him when we first got married or say around year 13 when things were a little rocky, but now I think its too late. Don't think I could make it without him now....he's my bestist bud. :D

ROFL.........you girls are tooooooooo much!!!:P:P:P I am laughing myself silly here, but you are ALL so right. I need something figured out I just call on my DH and he comes in and gives me the answer.....no calculator....no paper or pencil......just need his brain. LOL......how he does that I don't know and I don't ask......just thankful he can do it. I would be lost without him. I too should have paid more attention in school instead of where I was going on my date on Sat. night.;)

I DID pay attention in school...in fact, my poor Junior High math teacher came in every day at 7 am to help me for one hour try to "get it" - I didn't!! In 3rd grade my parents sat at the kitchen table with me for hours trying to get me to retain my multipication tables - I didn't. I have the fastest fingers in town tho. I can count forward and backward in a matter of seconds :cool: But it's very difficult to do fractions that way :o

I'm getting a kick out of reading all the messages regarding people that believe they are not good at Math. I used to teach Math (well, dumbell math) and i get all confused when I'm working with quilts, so its not just the math, I think but math + fabric.:D:D

Pats

In a real pinch and to save you cutting a bunch more I think you could use a fusible water-soluble webbing that would stabilize your unstable edges,while you are working on them then wash away after assembly. I hate having to re-do or undo stuff so I would try this route. Stitches for thought.:P:cool:

Lots of good ideas!!

Now, girls, we may not be able to figure out math formulas, but we use math all the time. And I know that I can do it better than my DH.

Like Mary Beth, I have to ask my DH for the percentage to fraction conversion. But when I have to put two ounces in measuring cup or decide whether to add a teaspoon or tablespoon, now that's my kind of calculating. And my DH just looks at me and says "Are there ounces in a cup?" My DH may be King of the calulator math but I am Queen of the kitchen math. :D :D

I too sat for hours pondering over my math books and my folks yelling at me that I was just to stupid to get it.....grade school, junior high and high school.

I almost flunk out of general bookkeeping....to give you an idea of how bad I was. I passed Algebra and Gemotry by wearing low cut blouses and t-shirts...I wasn't chesty in those days, but Mr. Burns was all for trying to get a glimpse, and if it worked I was willing to just about try anything. The light bulb got brighter in college, but I still struggle. :cool:

Now in the kitchen I get into more trouble there....2/3 cups and 2/3 cups equals WHAT?

Oh Bonnie, you are too much! I had the bustline to help in my geomety class, but the teacher was too much of a computer to even look. I had "A"s in algebra and all my math classes except geometry. I've worked for a bookkeeper, been a bank teller, loan officer, RE loan officer, RE underwriter, and managed a credit union. I had to do lots of math in all those jobs. Not a problem, but when you get into geometry, and I think that's where Moonmade was going, I am absolutely lost. I used to go into class after reading the book and doing my homework and feel that I understood it, then Mr. Computerbrain would get up there to discuss it and I would be completely lost when I walked out.

I have one daughter that took every math, physics, geometry & higher math classes that she could and had straight "A"s in them. They were "fun" to her.The other daughter couldn't understand the multiplication tables. When we shop together I always have to tell her how much 20% off is on sale items or how much the tip is.

Phyllis

Archived