Double Batting??

Ive read where quilters use two layers of batting, one usually being wool. What is the purpose of two layers? I always use Hobbs 80/20, my quilts are either personal or given as gifts, and edge to edge designs with Signature thread top and bottom. I'm still new to quilting (5 years) but always looking to improve.

The double batting gives lots of definition to the quilting and is great for show quilts. I don't double bat a quilt that is actually going to be used. I prefer a nice poly batting with some loft, like Quilters Dream Puff, or Quilters Dream wool which also has enough loft on its own. I do primarily custom, and my customers prefer the just quilted look that poly gives even after washing rather than the pucker that cotton gives. For a flatter look quilt if that is the customers preference, I use Quilters Dream poly select. I only use cotton or blends on specific request.

Extra loft for quilting definition is really the only reason for double batting...rarely, someone wants a very warm quilt, but the trend among custom quilters right now is double batt.  I suspect there will be a well known batting company that will come out with a nice loftey batt sometime in the near future with all the double batt users right now.  I use 80/20 and wool for show quilts or applique quilts - it gives a trapunto look without all the work!  :)

I use double batts for some of my show quilts, but not all.  If the fabric is busier the extra batt will give you more loft so the quilting really shows.  The other reason I use a double batt is for a wall hanging.  I want it to hang stiffer than just one batting will provide.  I use quilters dream wool which I find provides more puff then Hobbs so a double batting isn't always necessary.  

Archived