New adventure

I am new to the long arm and mid arm quilting.  I have been using my domestic machine for free motions quilting.  However !!!  Tomorrow I am going to the Shipshewana Indiana to the road show to pick out a machine.  I have made up my mind to buy.  just not sure which one. Right now, the George is my pick because I would like to sit down.  I am also accustom to moving the fabric.  Time will tell.  I am really excited about the class.  

Judy

Judy:

If you enjoy touching the fabric and are used to quilting on your DSM, I say go for George.  I love mine, and I am sure you will love all the extra table/throat space.  There are pros and cons to a sit-down model, just as there are pros and cons to a true longarm.  I am sure you will be happy with any APQS machine you decide to buy.

Cagey

Do not dismiss the stand up machines. You can quilt sitting down on them as well with the addition of a stool. It is easier on the body with a longarm on a track system. I went from quilting on my domestic to a longarm. I would never go to a stationary machine again.

Well I went to the road show today very informative I did learn a lot. Played with all the machines but decided on George.. he should arive at the ranch soon after labor day. I am excited to get started with my tops. Learned a lot about threads also. Will keep updated

George is a great machine.  Contact me if you get him.  I have some quilting rings for sale that made my using my George even better (before I traded for a Lucey).

Have fun.

What do you have madelyn ? Not sure I answered this the correct way.

What do you have madelyn ? Not sure I answered this the correct way.

I have three Martelli quilting rings that I won't be using anymore.  An 8", 11" rounds and a 12" square.  They were great with George to hold smooth, in place and move the quilt to stitch designs.  They didn't require a tight hold with my hands so there was no physical stress on the hands.  They were great in the heat because I didn't need gripping gloves to move the quilt.  If you google Martelli quilting rings you should be able to see what they are and if they might be something you would be interested in having.

Speaking of Martellie, they have a 50% off sale on all their templates and fussy cut windows from 1AM August 26 to 1AM August 28. Free shipping on orders over $20.  

When you call them, they will give you the code.  I am not sure about posting it here, but a PM could work.

Cagey

Judy,

I also was a sit down domestic quilter, until I bought my millennium in 2008.  There is a learning curve to moving the machine rather than the quilt.  I have definitely NO REGRETS changing to the longarm.  I just can't help but think that moving the machine, it moves so easily, is much better that moving the quilt, especially if you are quilting king size.  Another advantage is that you don't have to pin all the layers together before quilting, as would still be required with the george model.  Good luck with your quilting adventure!

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived