A tiny litte rant

Okay, since ya all are the only ones that understand this sort of thing....I need to unload...

A customer dropped a crib quilt off - new customer - and needed the quilt done yesterday. I told her there is a 2 month waiting list since I work part-time. That was fine. She called wanting to know if I was close to her quilt, she was next up. I finished her quilt 2 weeks ago today. I called her, she said she would be by that afternoon...haven't seen her yet. She finally called and left a message...busy with other house, contractors, etc. sorry, could I come by Thursday or Friday? I called back, got her DH told him sorry I missed her, those days are fine, call me. Here is is Saturday - haven't heard from her. I was hoping she would become a regular customer...but I hate it when they do this to you.

Next customer. New customer. Made a "Cars" quilt for her little boy. Called to see where I was at on the quilt. Little boy thought I was keeping it to give to my kids...I rushed to get it done for them. Called them to say it was ready on Wednesday, she said great, can I pick it up next week? :mad:

I'm not rushing this any more. I am always afraid I will lose business if I don't hurry and get to it. And I hate it when they call me to see where they are in line., because it makes me feel like I am a slacker. I understand they are anxious to get their quilts and after a couple of months they want to check - that is fine. But when I call to let them know, after they call to see how much longer, it would be nice if they could come and get it.

Thank you so much - I love you guys!!

Mary Beth

Mary Beth,

I use a calendar and assign a quilt date to the customer. If they call and ask what's going on with their quilt, I remind them of the date we agreed on. If I'm ahead of schedule, then I pull in their date in and complete their quilt early. I'm very careful about 'rush' jobs as I do not want to train my customers into thinking this mode of doing business is okay. I haven't done 'rush' jobs for new customers for the same reason. I have lost a few new customers because of this, but I've been able to keep a teensy bit of my sanity.

Judy

I have just recently come up with a system that seems to be working and I was on that schedule, though I was a little behind what I told them. Not to make excuses, but my daughter is pregnant and has hyper emesis (sp), she has been to the ER 4 times and they kept her 3 days in the hospital one of those times for dehydration. She lost her first baby, and I just thought I needed to be there. However, even with all that, I am now ahead of schedule, yippee!! I don't want to "rush" any of these quilts because I feel that it looks rushed.

Thank you, Judy, for your input. Sounds like you have this schedule thing down pat!

Mary Beth,

Don't be fooled by this schedule thing. I'm someone who needs some mechanism to keep me organized otherwise I'd loose all my customers, and my mind, trying to remember what I promised to whom.

Your daughter is more important than your customers quilts and I don't think you are making excuses, but have genuine concern. Your loyal customers will understand this and and the rest can take a hike.

So there you have it.

Judy

I feel every time I have "rushed" a job for a new client, I haven't seen them again, they go back to their regular cheap quilter that they send out to, or quilt them selves. I keep my rush job leeway for those regular clients that are loyal. Now if someone new calls and needs something sooner than my 6-8 weeks, I assign a "rush" fee of $30-$50 dollars and explain to do this for them and still stay on track for those that have been waiting patiently, I will need to work evenings and weekends. I tell them to think of it as "overtime" . I sometimes say something like " I am sure if you had been waiting 2 months for a quilt, you wouldn't want to wait any longer."

Also whee a new client drops off, I have them sign a waiver. One of the items says that they are required to pick their quilt up ASAP, as I have no room to store finished quilts, and definately no more than 2 weeks. If they do, I assign a storage fee of $10 a week. Now if they are my best clients, of course I am flexible, but just signing that makes them more concious that I am serious about getting paid.

Judy L. had a great scheduling system I addopted of 3 quilts a week, and if a LQS quilt comes up or a rush, I am still okay. That leaves me a bit of breathing room.

One of the hardest things to say for us women is NO!!!!!

Beth,

Thank you so much. A visiting nurse comes to her house about every 2 days to change the needle site. They are finally administering IV fluids at home so we are not going to the hospital every other day - that costs her $150 a pop. As long as she is on fluids and stays hydrated she feels okay, and only has bouts of actual thowing up - I think 3 times this week - (sorry to be graphic -that's just how it is) - so that is soooo much better. She still stays nauseated most of the time, but is more able to function. She also has a pump that she has to carry around in her pocket that gives her meds 24/7 to try to keep her from being nauseated. The problem she is having with that is that the needle site is in the sides of her legs and they have to change that just about every day because it starts hurting. By now she is sick of being sick and sick of being stuck by needles. I think if we can get her through another week or so, she may not be as sick - at least I hope. She is almost at 12 weeks - this is going to be a long 9 months!! She has hyper emesis which affects 1% of pregnancy - she is one of the lucky ones! She is a dental assistant and one of the dentists in the group has been through this too, so that helps - they are being very understanding.

Thanks for asking and for praying for her, I appreciate it and I always tell her when people tell me, so I will let her know you are praying.

Sorry to ramble.

MB

Mary Beth,

I don't care how many customers you have your daughter is WAY more important than they all put together.....and if you have one who pulls up her pantyhose and walks out....well she didn't need to be in your customer base anyway.

Rush jobs always seem to be more trouble than they are really worth. Keep to your schedule that works for you...and if you fall behind a bit...OH. WELL...your family comes first, and your customers will/should understand that. I do hope that all is better and my prayers for you and yours are being sent.

I have found out with my run-ins with "Rush Jobs". That when they don't come in to pickup after being told its done, is that they seemed to be a bit short on money and just didn't know how to tell me after making such a fit about their quilt not being done the exact hour I said it would be.

OR the worst one yet was she had forgotten to tell her husband that it was going to be $XYZ and when she did he threw a bitchfit and told her she just lost a quilt, because there was no way in hell that he was going to pay that amount for it, that she should just have gone to WalMart and gotten a new quilt, he was even mad she had spent the money for the top.....long story short a good friend of hers came to me 2 years later to see if I still had the quilt...yes....and she paid me for the quilting and gave the quilt back to her for a Christmas present this past Christmas.

Mary Beth, know that you are doing this because you love your quilting....and know that most of your customers will be there when all is better, and some will even be kind enough to ask if they can help you out....those are the ones that are sister quilters and those are the ones that won't abandon you in your needs. God Bless you and smile, we do love you.

Mary Beth,

You've gotten good responses from everyone. Ditto--I only "rush" for good, repeat customers and my LQS(which is a great repeat customer). I generally don't really "rush", but give the illusion that I did because I always schedule enough 'fat' in my scheduling to fit in stuff like that.

I don't like to be used by anyone and I feel sometimes like some of these people are 'users.' You sometimes have to learn the hard way. I've turned away these people because I didn't like the tone on the phone(talk about judging a book by it's cover!) I decided that I just don't care and life is way too short to be a slave to anyone. I've also found that these people are not usually serious quilters anyway, and who wants to be miserable for a $40 baby quilt? NOT ME!:D

Jill Kerekes

Well said, Jill. it is something like $40. The thing is, when she brought it to me she gave me this story about her grandchild was being baptised and her son and daughter-in-law had not even told them about it until a few days before the ceremony. She said that she knew the quilt could not possibly be done for that occasion, but that was okay, they should have told her sooner. I told her I was sorry I just had a 2 month wait, and she was fine with that. So, when she called her 2 months were about up, and I knew I needed to be on it, so I worked early, early mornings, later than usual nights and got 'er done. I just don't get that she was in such a hurry from the begining really, that she is waiting so long after I call to come pick it up. People!!

I am currently faced with a simiular situation. My customer (a returning client) owes me $84. She dropped off the quilt when she picked up her last quilt. It has been done now since 4/12 she was suppose to pick it up on 4/20 but cancelled on 4/19 and refused to commit to another pick up date. Here it is over 2 weeks later and I still have not heard from her or seen any $.

This is the worst type of customer there is because they commission you to do a job and then they are no where to be found when it's time to pay up.

I have been thinking about what I am going to do with my situation and this is what I have decided to do.

1) put a disclaimer on my website as well on my order form that quilts are to be paid for & or picked up within 2 weeks of completion (I recently added a pay through pay pal feature to my business so they can pay without even comming to an appointment...then the quilt could be shipped to them).

2) if the bill is not recieved within 1 months time then the quilt becomes my property and would be sold to pay their debt owed to me.

3) if the client falls into the 2nd catogory then I will no longer quilt for them and I will pass on to my LQS owner the name of such person so she will not recomend her to any other longarmer if she should inquire about one. This way no other longarmer will have to go through what I am going through now.

I realize that life happens and that sometimes $ problems or even resposibilities can interfer with people picking up and paying for their quilts. But this is not our problem, this is our business and we need to treat it as such. People need to be responsible and not commission others to do a job if they are unable to pay for the service. After all the time that I spent working on her quilt I could have done another and actually have gotten paid for it.

Joann

Hi again!

I'm not trying to be a moron or anything--so forgive me if that is how I sound! If I were in some type of panic about getting a baby quilt finished(and I wasn't a longarmer), well I'd just quilt it myself! That amount of time is certainly long enough to stick the quilt on a DSM for a quick allover meander or some gridwork. Don't most people know how to do stuff like that? I agree, giving a quilt to a longarmer usually means that the quilting job will be really good---but geez Louise, it's a baby quilt! Large quilts are certainly a different story, but baby quilts are not that tough on a DSM.

Again, I don't mean to sound like a moron--especially since I'm in the quilting business, but holy smokes are people just not able to think outside the box? Sorry about extending the rant.....

Jill Kerekes

Hey to all of you who have problems with customers..I have a small business in my home (not quilting) and I know exactly what you are saying. I have people who will call and "I need my hair cut right now" and so I make them an appointment and then they can not even keep it, let alone call to say they will not be here, and we might be talking a few hours here too.

I am always amazed at how inconsiderate people are. And it does not seem to get any better the older I get.

My best advise for you on how to handle "the I want it done right now" people is to get rid of them. Believe me......YOU DO NOT NEED BUSINESS THAT BAD!!!! They will make you hate your work. They are selfish and self centered people who will only cause you more stress than you will ever need.;)DO IT FOR YOU!!!!!

I love the storage fee response. That's great! and I love the "overtime" fee. that's a good one too. Another friend of mine takes a 50% deposit when she takes the quilts, as she has too many no shows and no way to sell the quilts. I am just as susceptible to "Please Rush" even though I know better, but when you are talking to them on the phone or in person it is hard to be hard nosed. ;)

Patti

(Pats)

Hey, Mary Beth, I'm sending prayers for your DD and for you too. Blessings on you both as you walk throught this together. I think there is no friend better than a loving family member, especially if she's your mother! I know you are doing the right thing, and I'm with all the others who say FAMILY FIRST.

I'm glad to read all the advice about rush jobs, just in case I ever get any customers, LOL! I'm one of the worst for asking things to be done sooner (not that I ever had anybody quilt anything for me, but I've ordered other things done). But when a business person tells me they have a schedule and they can't deviate from it, I figure that's that and give them their due. I once did quilt a DWR in two days on my DSM, and yes it was grid work all over. Not what I would have liked for my niece, but she doesn't care, so I did it. I also don't undertand why people can't sew anything these days, not anything! I figure it's the schools, as they used to teach home ec. and now they don't teach either that or shop anymore. What do the guys do who want to learn about machines and other tools in the garaga??? At least I had a mom who showed me how to sew a straight line, and for that I'm eternally grateful. The rest I either taught myself, learned in home ec at school, or picked up from the lady I worked for one summer who designed debutante gowns for the "coming out" of gals in Newport Beach.

Well, this is long. Sorry! But know our prayers are with your DD, Mary Beth, and that you should NEVER feel guilty for time spent helping your loved ones, for any reason. Bless you!

Mary Beth, Sending prayers for your daughter. Its hard when some customers want things done yesterday. My husband and I have another business besides the quilt shop, which all is at our home. People seem to think that when you work at home you have all kinds of time. WRONG! I tell my customers that I don't give a specific time to complete a quilt because life happens. I have 3 children, a business and my mother has altzheimers and is in need of care. So, I assure them that when I do their quilt it has my full attention because right now when I quilt it takes my away to a world that is OK. I put their name on a list and when I get close to it I call them, if they have found someone else fine, if not I quilt. Life is to short to have someone else try to take the fun away.

Good-Luck

Sheryl

Add to that, when you are retired, people think you are always home, and don't have anything to do. I started quilting after I retired, and some people know I retired, so therefore, I shouldn't charge as much, and I can do thier quilt anytime and as fast as they want. NOOOOOooooo.

Pats

(Patti):)

It is true that some customers (and a few friends!) find it hard to realize that your business is just that--a BUSINESS. You make the rules to accommodate your customers AND yourself. Whatever your situation, whatever family/day job/projects/"life" get in the way, you get to decide.

I have more stress from that needy customer (mine first! mine fastest! put me in line but I won't have it ready on time! need it now but can't pick up until next month!) and really have learned to breathe deep and say a gentle no. What a hard thing to learn, as women are the pleasers, fixers, be-happy-everybody, people.

I am leaving for a short, treasured vacation on Friday (Disneyland with my sister--imagine two mid-fifties chubby girls screaming on the rides--that's us!) I have a good friend who just decided her Mom needs a beautiful quilt for Mother's Day and could I squeeze it in before I go? I have 8 tops ahead of hers, hers isn't finished yet, and I work my day job 4 days this week. Nope, can't do it. Sorry.

That was my little rant--gentle, I hope. This wonderful job (being paid to do this--heavenly, isn't it?) is full of joy and controlling the few irritating things is worth the effort!!

Happy quilting, all!!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

Linda have fun screaming on the rides - I got a snap shot in my mind when you described you and your sis :D Sounds like fun!

My brother is self employed, he has a company the builds dog houses and dog runs. It is a very successful company that he started 20 some years ago. He has had customer tell him they needed a kennel yesterday, then not show up of a week or two or longer. One Thanksgiving day we were getting ready to sit down to eat and some guy knocked on his door and wanted to pick up his order. They have since moved their business to a real store front so he is not bother too much at home any more, unless they don't realize that he has moved. He still has problems with people picking up their orders when they say they will. Guess that is just one of the hazards of the business.

My customer came by Sunday evening to pickup her quilt and gave me a story about a "tiny little quilt" that she is making for her son-in-law, for her granddaughter who is 2 years old. Her SIL is going to Iraq on May 20 and she thought about tying the quilt. I told her she could quilt it on her DMS and it would last longer. Tried my best to get out of that one, she ended up saying I may bring it by to let you look at it :o How did that happen?? Then she told me about another quilt for her aunt who has breast cancer. I got the feeling that she can see my soft spot and she is really working to get a break on the quilting on these two....my soft spot is getting thicker!

Hey Mary Beth,

Have you ever seen the movie "You've Got Mail?" Remember the line "It's not personal, it's business." and keep that as your mantra. Then start growing that suit of armour over your "soft spot"

Linda,

Have a marveous time at Disneyland, and be sure and go on every single ride, even the ones that are geared for little kids. My husband and I, who are childless (unless you count the dogs), have been there 3 times, and I just can't imagine why you'd want to go with whiny children. Granted, we probably looked a little silly on "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.", but it's not like we're ever going to see these people again, so who the heck cares?

Have a lovely day to everyone.

Beth

Ah.... Disneyland. What memories! What nostalia! What crowds! What smells, sounds, sights! What a pain!!! LOL! :D And we do it again and again because we grew up there, and wouldn't trade our memories for a world of amusement parks anywhere. Go have fun with the kiddies! And do exactly as Beth did, and don't EVER feel embarrassed because that's eXACTly what Walt wanted, for adults to have just as much fun as kids. That's why so many of the kiddie rides were actually big enough for adults too. He wanted all ages to enjoy as much of the Park as possible. So you go, girls!

You know, you don't notice so much that the kids are kids when you're at Disneland, because you're one too! :P

Archived