Clean up fee for minkie backs?

Extra work = extra time = extra charge. 

Maybe don't call it a clean up fee, though, as that could sound as though you are charging for general cleaning.  Could you charge a minky fee, and if the customer asks, just say that minky backings require more time, due to the nature of the fabric?

My local quilt shop that sells minky gave me the idea of buying a small hand vac.  When they cut their minky, they run the vac along the cut edges and that pretty much eliminates any fuzz from that point.  I now do that at home if I have to trim Minky.  Maybe you could try that before loading and thus have no fuzz to clean up afterwards.  

These are all great ideas! I've been doing a lot of minkie quilts lately...and cleaning lots too! Will need to try the hand vacuum and tape roller. If it's a small back I take it outside and give it a big shake before loading. Getting ready to load another back that is too large to shake.

If you decide to implement a fee for dealing with Minkee backers, best explain that it's for cleaning your longarm and surroundings---and that the cast-off from the Minkee can "contaminate" the next project. Make a sign for your studio stating the issue and the extra charge. Include a cartoon of a longarmer buried in fluff up to her nose. Humor can take out a lot of the sting.   :P

I agree with Linda, Last time I had a minkee back, leaders were full of fluff and I think it's still floating around. That was 2 months ago. Now I know why customer asked me to trim for her. Cutting mat was a mess with imbedded fluff. Not worth the time or effort to clean up the mess. Just my opinion. Quilting it isn't the problem, its the cleanup after trimming.

Jeanne

Archived